The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#197292 - 03/05/10 11:31 AM Shipwrecked sailor ate lichen to survive
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Interesting story. This man did a few right things to survive and with some luck, his life was saved.

VICTORIA — A shipwrecked American sailor was plucked off the rugged shores of the west coast of Vancouver Island Wednesday ending a five-day wilderness ordeal eating nothing but lichen.

Keith Carver, 56, of Tucson, Ariz., said he doesn’t think he would have lasted much more than one more day had he not been spotted waving his arms to attract the attention of “this beautiful helicopter.”

Google map of the area.

John Lubbock

#197300 - 03/05/10 01:13 PM Re: Shipwrecked sailor ate lichen to survive [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Nice to have an account where things ended well.

#197306 - 03/05/10 03:10 PM Re: Shipwrecked sailor ate lichen to survive [Re: hikermor]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
bravo. We may look sideways at the expiration date of food in our fridge, but when the expiration date might be our own, we'll eat anything.

#197309 - 03/05/10 03:23 PM Re: Shipwrecked sailor ate lichen to survive [Re: comms]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
It ended well, which is great. But it sounds like he was a hair's breadth from the opposite outcome.

He set off alone in violent weather, he wasn't able to send off an SOS, he lost his backpack of survival gear, and he was rescued only by the good fortune of catching the eye of an attentive pilot.

The winter storms up there, at the top of the Island, are impressively fierce. There's actually a tourist industry where people go (by land) to watch them. Personally, I wouldn't want to be on the water out there, but I'm no sailor.

P.S., a cement hull? Really?

Edited by dougwalkabout (03/05/10 03:24 PM)

#197312 - 03/05/10 03:31 PM Re: Shipwrecked sailor ate lichen to survive [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Perfectly fine boats can be fabricated from cement. I believe it came into vogue during WW I because of steel shortages, among other times.

An outer coating of cement is also a last ditch measure for wooden boats that are on their last legs (or keels).

#197321 - 03/05/10 04:29 PM Re: Shipwrecked sailor ate lichen to survive [Re: dougwalkabout]
Horus Offline
Journeyman

Loc: MA
Doug, that sounds like fun, watching storms. If you have any info on it, can you post it? I put together a quick annotated, editable, google map of Carver's trip at www.gettingprepared.info

#197329 - 03/05/10 06:17 PM Re: Shipwrecked sailor ate lichen to survive [Re: Horus]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
The only problem with concrete hulls is the collision insurance and how hard it is to find marinas that will allow them.
Concrete hulls tend to be heavy, lots of momentum, hard to stop, hard on docks and other boats.

I am glad he was found instead of lost.
I like them mentioning the wet suit. To bad he had been unable to shelter effectively or make a fire.
There is a reason it is called the wet coast.
They get a lot of rain.
That coast is a forager's paradise too.
Especially if you like mussels.

#197337 - 03/05/10 07:44 PM Re: Shipwrecked sailor ate lichen to survive [Re: scafool]
Bryan18 Offline
Stranger

My understanding was most cement hulled boats went out of style many years ago due to issues with quality. Also, cruisers usually watch the weather and try to avoid passage in such weather when at all possible. He seemed to go out repeatedly in weather that his skills and his craft could not handle. Not to mention the rule that you never leave your boat until its underwater. Sounds like he got very lucky.

#197345 - 03/05/10 10:20 PM Re: Shipwrecked sailor ate lichen to survive [Re: Bryan18]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Seems there is bit more to this story since I posted it early today.

A shipwrecked American sailor who was rescued from the rugged, remote coastline on the West Coast of Vancouver Island Wednesday has been arrested and detained for being in Canada illegally, RCMP say.

John Lubbock

#197355 - 03/05/10 11:51 PM Re: Shipwrecked sailor ate lichen to survive [Re: Teslinhiker]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Seems there is bit more to this story since I posted it early today.

A shipwrecked American sailor who was rescued from the rugged, remote coastline on the West Coast of Vancouver Island Wednesday has been arrested and detained for being in Canada illegally, RCMP say.

He didn't exactly enter Canada voluntarily. There must be more to this than we know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.