Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#197676 - 03/10/10 05:50 PM Re: Walking stick? staff? Hiking poles? [Re: TeacherRO]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Do you carry a stick when you walk or hike/ backpack? Why? What kind?

Hiking - yes. Walking - no.

I find it handy for keeping my balance as much as anything else. Sometimes you are crossing streams or over obstacles on the trail, and a little more stability is nice.

I have used several different sticks. Once upon a time it was a broomstick with some cord wrapped around it for a handhold. I have also used shorter sticks but found I did not like them for hiking. I bought a walking stick at Gander Mountain for my wife and I sometimes use it. I recently bought a 3 piece stick that I have yet to try in the woods.

Bob

#197683 - 03/10/10 07:25 PM Re: Walking stick? staff? Hiking poles? [Re: Jeff_M]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: Jeff_M
Dual collapsible "trekking" poles. Too many miles, too many falls. They do help with sketchy terrain, save some strain on the knees, and come in handy for various other uses. A custom hiking staff can be a thing of beauty, but is hard to stow when not in use on the trail.

Exactly.

I have Black Diamond Alpine trek poles with cork. They have the new flick type lock rather than twisting to seat. They hold much better. The cork is nice b/c hands get sweaty in desert summers and the cork sucks it right up. They weigh a pound and collapse well.

Make a big difference. I think they help hold my pace. They take a lot of weight off your upper body.

Regardless of type, I went with some novices to the Grand Canyon last year and in the gift shop I strongly recommended they buy the wood hiking stick they sold for $9. half came up after we were done, saying they would not have made the rim-river-rim trek without it.

#197689 - 03/10/10 08:19 PM Re: Walking stick? staff? Hiking poles? [Re: comms]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Any time I am off pavement/concrete, I carry a hiking staff of some sort.

Always have. Mostly, it protects my trick knee. But it also pushes wet or spiny branches out of the way, and gives me that extra push to hop over a wide, muddy puddle. Going uphill, it speeds me up; going downhill, it slows me down, on purpose.

I have used a variety over the years. Old downhill ski poles are often free for the asking, and are very sturdy. Sometimes I'll cut a staff locally; in my part of the world, willow is okay but Saskatoon/serviceberry is by far the best.

If I were in trouble with minimal gear, one of the first things I'd do is cut a good, stout walking stick.

I like the current Black Diamond trekking pole I have. It has three sections, so I can turn it into a short alpenstock on easy trails or when traversing slippery boulder patches. As comms said, the flick lock is very strong. Mine has held up to years of use.

Edited by dougwalkabout (03/10/10 08:21 PM)

#197690 - 03/10/10 08:21 PM Re: Walking stick? staff? Hiking poles? [Re: comms]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
If you've never handled a rattan staff - or bo staff - the kind used in marshal arts - they are amazing.

My kids are both in Taikwando (junior black belts!! - proud papa), and they've used the rattan staffs for years. The rattan staffs are solid - not hollow. They are REALLY light weight and amazingly strong. The kids and their fellow students have beat them against each other for years without any breakage or damage. I'd highly recommend them.

I use a 6' staff when walking the neighborhood - mostly to deal with dogs.

Oh, I put a soft black rubber end-cap on the bottom, to make it last longer and to give it less tap, tap, tap.

#197696 - 03/10/10 10:23 PM Re: Walking stick? staff? Hiking poles? [Re: unimogbert]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: unimogbert

3rd leg for offtrail and off balance situations. Has prevented many falls over the years.

I agree, third leg is always good and a 4th leg is even better in terrain such as this. One my fav hiking trails in a remote area has a very steep and loose rock field/slope to cross to continue on the trail. When carrying a full 40LB backpack, trekking (or any kind of poles/walking sticks) are almost mandatory as there is zero room for mistakes such as loosing your balance...

Take a fall here and you are in for a very bad day. You might as well be on the moon if you need help.

John Lubbock

#197697 - 03/10/10 10:26 PM Re: Walking stick? staff? Hiking poles? [Re: comms]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: comms
Originally Posted By: Jeff_M
Dual collapsible "trekking" poles. Too many miles, too many falls. They do help with sketchy terrain, save some strain on the knees, and come in handy for various other uses. A custom hiking staff can be a thing of beauty, but is hard to stow when not in use on the trail.

Exactly.

I have Black Diamond Alpine trek poles with cork. They have the new flick type lock rather than twisting to seat. They hold much better.

I also have BD poles with the flick locks. They are the best and most reliable locking system I have seen in any trekking pole design.

John Lubbock

#197700 - 03/10/10 10:44 PM Re: Walking stick? staff? Hiking poles? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
The sticks give us a little extra traction on a muddy slope, parts the thorny canes to access the blackberries, moves the nettles aside to search for morrels, shuffles the gravel in a clear brook to uncover the agates, helps answer the question; what's that?................

A friend of mine related a story about guiding a couple that had lived most of their lives in a city. They get a bit out ahead of him and one says 'Look at the funny rocks' he approaches and the man is squatting down and reaching. He it just about to touch a coiled rattler. Only a shout to stop moving, a slow withdrawal, and the snake being in a friendly mood, saved the day.

But he also related that the snakes, there were three or four on the sunny and warm side of that rock, really did blend quite well with the rocks and gravel and that had he lacked some common sense he might have seen the lumps as odd colored rocks also.

The point being that a good stick allows you to engage your gee-whiz, inner child, wonder of nature, mindset and maintain a safe distance.

#197714 - 03/11/10 01:24 AM Re: Walking stick? staff? Hiking poles? [Re: Art_in_FL]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
I'm surprised how many people have one. I have one that i try to use on longer hikes, but here in Texas the topography can be so flat that there isn't much point to it. It has a carabiner on the strap which is a great feature for those long flat stretches where you don't really need anything. It was good in big bend but mostly a pain on the 4C trail.

I opted for the Leki photo with the removable top knob so you can "add a scope, camera or a gun mount". Although I haven't ever had the need to do any of that. Can't say it was worth it.

#197721 - 03/11/10 02:03 AM Re: Walking stick? staff? Hiking poles? [Re: clarktx]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
yup. I use a Aspen sapling about 5.5 long 1.5 in diameter. pealed,sanded and oiled. there is a spike in the end with a rubber cane cap with a metal insert over it

#197722 - 03/11/10 02:16 AM Re: Walking stick? staff? Hiking poles? [Re: big_al]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
Another vote for Black Diamond poles. I love mine. Have two, but only use one at a time. Two is overkill for me.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.