Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#197368 - 03/06/10 03:52 AM Re: Shipwrecked sailor ate lichen to survive [Re: Compugeek]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Compugeek
He didn't exactly enter Canada voluntarily. There must be more to this than we know.

You are thinking the same as I am as evidenced by these newest relevations

Lagan (RCMP Cpl.) also expressed suspicions about Carver’s story that storms blew him north until his sailboat sank off the northwest coast of Vancouver Island.

“He knew he was in Canadian waters,” said Lagan. “This was not an accident that he blew up all the way from the U.S.-Canada border all the way to the northern tip of Vancouver Island.

Mark Proulx, maritime co-ordinator at the Victoria Rescue Centre, casts doubt on Carver’s story of stormy weather, however.

Proulx said between Feb. 18, when Carver dropped off his friend in Tahsis, and Feb. 26, when he said he was shipwrecked, the wind conditions were often almost too light for sailing, blowing as little as three knots on Feb. 19.

John Lubbock

#197370 - 03/06/10 04:27 AM Re: Shipwrecked sailor ate lichen to survive [Re: Compugeek]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Yeah, something's fishy. Usually an American in trouble and pursuing honest business would get a smooth ride.

There are too many instances where crates of illegal firearms are swapped for a load of "herbs and spices." Both giving aid to urban gang-bangers, who shoot first and often without giving a rat about citizens on the street. We're getting tired of it.

(This is just broad speculation, and may not apply in this case; time will tell.)

#197386 - 03/06/10 12:48 PM Re: Shipwrecked sailor ate lichen to survive [Re: dougwalkabout]
HerbG Offline

Did somebody mention concrete ships? The U.S. actually built them during WW1 & WW2 and they were generally successful. One is still afloat.

http://www.concreteships.org/

#197389 - 03/06/10 01:58 PM Re: Shipwrecked sailor ate lichen to survive [Re: HerbG]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Hi Herb, we are a bit off topic, but just a couple more pages about concrete boats.
http://www.hartley-boats.com/ferro.html
Quote:
Often referred to as 'concrete', which is a misnomer, in reality it is steel reinforced plaster (SRP). Introduced more than 200 years ago for boatbuilding (there are still surviving craft almost that age).....
It is estimated that more than 80% of all amateur owner built monohull boats that have made extended ocean voyages, are of ferro-cement construction.

Also
http://www.ferroboats.com/

Now if you look around the sailing blogs you soon get an idea of the insurance and survey issues.
When concrete is good it is very very good but when it is bad it is deadly.

Now back on topic:
The story is getting more interesting. I do wonder if the guy was doing a dope run, now that the cops have involved themselves.

#197433 - 03/07/10 05:12 AM Re: Shipwrecked sailor ate lichen to survive [Re: scafool]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
he must have been pretty desperate. And also not well versed in edibles. There are certainly many more things on Vancouver Island much more palatable that rock lichens. But this story is beginning to sound like a fish story.

#197589 - 03/09/10 11:20 AM Re: Shipwrecked sailor ate lichen to survive [Re: Compugeek]
Horus Offline
Journeyman

Loc: MA
My theory? The Canadian cops think Carver was drug-running, hauling BC Bud from Vancouver island down to the U.S. and he ran into trouble and so scuttled his boat. My guess is they’re looking for it. I’m not saying he did it, I’m saying that’s what they think.

I created an editable google map (feel free to join in) which you can find at www.gettingprepared.info that shows his key stopping points.

#197646 - 03/10/10 11:56 AM Re: Shipwrecked sailor ate lichen to survive [Re: Compugeek]
Horus Offline
Journeyman

Loc: MA

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.