Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#197260 - 03/05/10 01:44 AM Re: Dogs [Re: Krista]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Hi and welcome,

I have known and lived with a lot of dogs, mutts to show dogs. In a survival situation I would lean to working or herding dogs. I loved my Samoyed and he would have been great in a survival situation but in general (based on personal experience) I would probably choose a German Shepherd or a Collie for me and mine. Actually I have chosen a GSD, she is a year old and way to smart for me. Good thing she is a real people pleaser. This one will probably get some advanced training and if it takes she could be my son's home grown assistance dog.

Dogs and humans have a partnership that goes back a long way and any dog breed could be a help in the correct situation, if trained/socialized well. Many breeds have been developed to emphasize specific skills/instincts and the value of those skills will vary by situation. Mutts and a few traditional breeds (GSD and others) are the jacks of all trades of the dog world.

- Eric

#197261 - 03/05/10 02:06 AM Re: Dogs [Re: Eric]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
I would choose a pack of small dogs rather than one big one. Jack Russells, chihuahuas, beagles- easier to feed, harder to disable, more intensely annoying, pre-packaged in easy-to-prepare single serving size. Flock of geese or guinea hens might be even more effective. If you have one dog, it becomes a fur-baby. If you have a dozen dogs, they remain livestock. A friend from the Phiilipines suggested that dog is strongly flavored, requiring careful seasoning; he also indicated that, after consuming dog, one should avoid dogs for awhile-dogs don't like people who have dog on their breath. He was a kidder, tho, so he may have been exaggerating...

#197271 - 03/05/10 03:19 AM Re: Dogs [Re: nursemike]
Newsman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NW Arkansas
Out in parks with my chocolate Lab, I've had people ask me, "How often do you train him?" My answer: "Every minute I'm with him."

I'm confident enough in my dog (who is a working duck/goose retriever) that I would tell him to sit in front of the Sportsman's Warehouse service desk, then walk off. Ten minutes later, I'd return to get him. The staff loved watching people's reaction as they walked past.

I've seen parents let a child play tug of war with a Lab puppy. I'll ask if they want the dog to retrieve for hours on end. They say yes. When I point out that retrieving requires exactly OPPOSITE behavior from tug of war, they are shocked. Tug of war means hang on; retrieve means go get it, bring it back, then let go. If you want the dog to do something as an adult, you've got to teach the dog to do it when the dog is a puppy.

Some old dogs can learn new tricks, but some can't; but it's much easier to teach a young dog.

No matter what breed you chose, you have to train it. Do NOT let it train you. If you do not have a clue on training, find someone who can train you. It's hard to train a Lab to herd cattle; and it's hard to train a red heeler to retrieve ducks (OK, probably impossible). Decide what you want a dog to do, then find the breed that does that.

If you want a friend, go to the pound and find a dog that steals your heart.

#197279 - 03/05/10 04:52 AM Re: Dogs [Re: Newsman]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Get the kind of dog you like, suitable for your climate and lifestyle. Research the breeds you like to see if it will be a good fit. Since you're asking this question, you don't want a Border Collie or other high-drive breed like a Belgian Malinois (or possibly any of the other Belgian breeds) -- they're not beginner's dogs.

Train it, NOT using the yell-and-beat method. And that means YOU train it. Don't pass on the care and training of your dog to your teenagers, because it won't get done. If it's going to destroy you to have a puppy knock your 3-yr-old down, don't get any dog.

Most dogs after the age of 5 mos or so discover that they can bark; barking is a good alert and a good warning, but you also have to teach it to stop barking when you say so.

If a disaster occurs and you have to take your family to a shelter, what will you do with your dog? Shelters mostly don't take pets, although that is beginning to change. Plans are necessary.

Your dog needs vaccinations, an ID tag and a microchip, and current photos.

Keep a 'kit' for your dog in a covered tote:
Food
Water
Water/food bowls
Leash and chain tie-out
Bedding
Grooming tools
Plastic bag for picking up droppings
Waterproof container with medical history, rabies vaccination certificate, microchip number and 800 number of chip company database, updated photos, any necessary meds, pet first aid kit (PeptoBismol for diarrhea, upset stomach; unopened hydrogen peroxide to force vomiting; liquid benedryl and syringe for allergy attack, including bee stings. Ask your vet for dosages, pre-figure them and write on the bottle, with attached syringe suitable for the amount.
Toys and treats
Folding crate

Sue

#197301 - 03/05/10 01:29 PM Re: Dogs [Re: Blast]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I thought that was what cats are for grin

Pete

#197304 - 03/05/10 02:52 PM Re: Dogs [Re: Susan]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Again Sue comes through with a good wrap-up. I particularly like the concept of some breeds not being beginner dogs. I volunteer with a GSD rescue group and get to see lots of different examples of German Shepherds and GSD mixes.

We had a few puppies come through a few weeks ago that boggles the mind. They appeared to be from European working line dogs and at 3 months showed confidence and alpha traits that would drive anyone looking for a "pet" nuts. With training a good working line GSD can do pretty much anything and still be pleasant around the house IF it has a job to work off its energy in a productive (rather than destructive) manner. But they were so cute and outgoing folks looking for a "puppy" could have been sucked in. Fortunately, they were adopted out to folks who knew what they were getting (a serious handful).

#197310 - 03/05/10 03:25 PM Re: Dogs [Re: Russ]
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Wow- thanks for all the great input everyone. I'm certainly not in a rush to get another dog, as I love to spoil my one fur-baby, but you have all given me some really good info and opinions to consider when I do "pull the trigger" on getting a second dog.

~Marion C. Garretty

#197314 - 03/05/10 03:44 PM Re: Dogs [Re: Russ]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
As said before, research and then get what you want. Personally I have a couple Irish Wolfhounds. They are great for a shock value, and if their "people" are threatened they will defend them, with their lives. They do eat a lot. (8-10 cups of food a day per dog) Their bark is pretty loud (2am jumping outta bed to fend off zombies with ringing ears, and not remembering how you ended up outside in your underwear LOUD grin ) they are sight hounds, which is a plus and a minus. They are big enough to take down a deer, and strong enough to drag it back to camp. They were originally bred to hunt down and kill wolves. (There are no native wolves in Ireland anymore. cool yes humans helped) When they go after something, it takes something short of an act of God to call them off. They are gentle giants though, the first male we had let a baby play with his ears pulling and yanking out hair, without complaint (a friend of the family wanted the pic) the average live span is about 7 years, and the breed is plagued with problems (cancer, heart problems, bloat all have happened to my past IW's)

Wolfies would be a great resource, but i look to a historical example. smaller, self reliant dogs were the dominate dog during the time when dogs were part of survival. Native Americans, Settlers, and colonists all had medium to small, tough, self reliant breeds. if i was looking for a dog for a survival situation that would be a part of my factors.

I have an extra.

#197318 - 03/05/10 04:16 PM Re: Dogs [Re: Krista]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Good posts Russ and Susan, and I'd certainly add Dobes to the list of NOT suitable dogs for beginners. Most of the reputable Dobe breeders will not sell Dobe pups to families with small children unless the family has prior experience with working breeds.

Excellent point from Susan regarding having the emergency kit ready for dogs as well. I keep a kit in the house and my suv.

I always carry Gas-X in the event of suspected bloat. My vet recommends it to potentially buy you a little extra time on the way to emergency.

I keep Kaolin Pectin on hand for use in dogs for minor upsets and diarrhea, rather than Pepto Bismol. Many vets will tell clients that Pepto Bismol is fine to use, but it contains salicylate which can cause irritation and even GI bleeds in some dogs. If I were in an emergency situation where access to a vet might be limited that would be a risk I'd rather not take. It might be fine in 20 dogs, but potentially deadly in the 21st. Not a risk I'd take. Kaolin Pectin can be found in farm stores or by mail order and is usually sold for calf scours. Kaopectate used to be the same formula as Kaolin Pectin until they added salicylate to that as well. Warnings did go out to vets at that time they changed the Kaopectate formula. At farm stores the Kaolin Pectin is usually sold in gallon containers, but it's cheap, lasts a longtime, and can be transfered to smaller containers.

#197342 - 03/05/10 10:03 PM Re: Dogs [Re: Newsman]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Newsman
Out in parks with my chocolate Lab, I've had people ask me, "How often do you train him?" My answer: "Every minute I'm with him."

Chocolate Lab ... sounds delicious.

I think that settles it on which dog taste best.

Peach brindle pit bull sounds tasty also.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.