Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#197380 - 03/06/10 08:22 AM Re: Attempted "Survivorman" found dead [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
BorkBorkBork Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sweden
Bear Grylls = upchuck
Please, please, please, never mention his name in a serious discussion...

#197385 - 03/06/10 12:44 PM Re: Attempted "Survivorman" found dead [Re: Eugene]
Hookpunch Offline

Stroud talks about Code in an interview here

Stroud interview

#197445 - 03/07/10 01:27 PM Re: Attempted "Survivorman" found dead [Re: Hookpunch]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Hookpunch

Stroud talks about Code in an interview here

Stroud interview

An excellent interview that reinforces my admiration for Stroud and his work. Thanks for finding and posting it.

#197452 - 03/07/10 04:06 PM Re: Attempted "Survivorman" found dead [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Mac Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Originally Posted By: Mac
I got 30 years or so living and surviving in the Canadian North. Lighting a fire is not rocket science,It's easy.

... For someone who hasn't been there, done that they will have to invest a lot of time to learn these things. Not rocket science, just lots of practice...

This was my point all along unless you missed it. You go out into the wilderness prepared to survive if you have to. Unless I totally missed something the name of this website is "equipped to survive" Right ?
If you haven't invested the practice into the very simple task of starting fires in bad weather then what are you doing wandering the Canadian wilderness with nothing but a few meager supplies and a space blanket? I do not wish anyone harm but I hope people will use this as an example and not try to be wilderness survival heroes unless they really know what they are doing. This guy did not die doing something he loved. He died slowly freezing to death wishing to hell he had packed the proper gear necessary to survive in the wilderness this time of year. I hate to sound crude, but "it is what it is" as they say.

Quote:
I am actually amased that you take so easy on the task of getting a fire going in a friggin blizzard. But I guess I haven't lit enough fires...

I don't know, maybe you haven't.

My first step is usually to seek shelter from said friggin blizzard, not try and light a fire right in the middle of one. Always works for me...
To each his own

Edited by Mac (03/07/10 04:08 PM)

#197487 - 03/07/10 11:12 PM Re: Attempted "Survivorman" found dead [Re: Mac]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway

This was my point all along unless you missed it. You go out into the wilderness prepared to survive

We all agree on that one. Be equipped or there will be rash consequences.

Now the fire thingy... Sorry, I just can't leave that alone.

In my experience, fire requires quite a bit of work. To "go big or go home" with a fire for, say, 12 hours requires quite a bit of wood gathering. Not impossible in a friggin' blizzard but rough weather still sort of complicates things (even if you have the wits to seek the most sheltered location in your area). The art of actually putting that fuel on fire is a topic in it self.

Which is why I skimp a bit when I read stuff as this:
How bloody hard is it to use a lighter and matches?

and react with long, pedantic rants about exactly why I don't consider fire under rough conditions easy. Sorry if that irritates you. And no, I'm afraid adding wink won't help.

Are we done with the fire subject now?

As to other factors that may have contributed to this guy's downfall I note the weather took quite a turn for the worse. I would be very surprised if this wasn't give due warning in the forecasts. It is speculation, but either ignoring the forecasts or not realizing what they really meant may have been an important factor.

As always... the details aren't there in the media. And once more details are available the media aren't interested anymore, so we never hear from it.

#197489 - 03/07/10 11:31 PM Re: Attempted "Survivorman" found dead [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Mac Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Quote:
Sorry if that irritates you.

I don't have any trouble lighting a fire in winter. Why would anything you said irritate me?

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless

Are we done with the fire subject now?

If you insist. You are the one who keeps bringing up the subject after all.

As you stated:

Quote:
Now the fire thingy... Sorry, I just can't leave that alone.

I'm done whenever you are Mr crabby pants.

#197492 - 03/07/10 11:52 PM Re: Attempted "Survivorman" found dead [Re: Mac]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Ok guys, I think we flogged this horse (thread) long enough. It is getting to the point where is it well past informative and heading into the arena of personal attacks...which is not why I visit this forum.

John Lubbock

#197494 - 03/08/10 12:09 AM Re: Attempted "Survivorman" found dead [Re: Teslinhiker]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
This thread has stopped being productive and is starting to get a bit nastier then we typically see here on ETS. So I am going to lock this thread for now until Blast can review and decide if it should stay locked or not.

#197499 - 03/08/10 01:25 AM Re: Attempted "Survivorman" found dead [Re: Alan_Romania]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I can't see any more useful information coming out of this thread. It stays locked.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 426 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.