Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#197161 - 03/04/10 11:51 AM Survival enthusiast didn’t survive
Northerner Offline
Stranger

On the eve of Richard Code's weekend survival trip into the wild, his friends pleaded with him not to go.
Peter and Susanne Watt urged the reserved, yet gregarious 41-year-old to remember his last trip into the woods at Christmastime. The Scarborough man had lasted just a few days with wood too wet to burn and not much for food and shelter. At the time, he said he was lucky he didn't die of hypothermia.
But Mr. Code arose at 4 a.m. last Thursday morning and set out for the bush near Burk's Falls, outside Huntsville, Ont.
He left his landlord and family friend, Barbara Ellis, a note instructing her to call police if he wasn't back by Sunday night.
When he didn't come back, she made the call and police began their search.
By Wednesday morning, Ontario Province Police helicopters made the discovery of a body. Toronto Police confirmed the body was that of Mr. Code who had set up camp in an area just off Highway 518, northeast of Huntsville.
He had hitchhiked to his camp, something he'd done before to get to his destination, said his older brother, Stephen Code, an optometrist in Kitchener, Ont., where they had grown up. Their father, Mel Code of Kitchener, is on a Caribbean cruise right now and is on his way back home to bury his son.
Though an autopsy is scheduled for Thursday, the elder sibling was told by the OPP that his brother died of hypothermia. “There was an interest in [watching] Survivorman and he also did a fair bit of reading about [survival] tales,” the brother said, referring to the popular show featuring wilderness survival expert Les Stroud.
Mr. Code had been watching Survivorman since it began to air and occasionally copied some of the survival manoeuvres he saw on the show.
Today, the outdoorsman is being mourned by his long-time friends, the Watts, whose children called him “Mr. Richard.”
Temperatures never dipped lower than -12 over the weekend, but survival experts say even the most well trained survivalists can get hypothermia if they get wet.
Mr. Code was usually well stocked for his adventures and this excursion seemed to be no exception, said his friend, who had joined on some camping trips before.
“He'd have his emergency metal blanket, he'd have his special utility knife set – it's a $100 fancy knife. And he would go with an axe,” Mr. Watt said. “He would go with stuff to light a fire, magnesium stick, basic stuff you'd need to get a fire going, to get a camp going. Some fishing stuff.”
But he didn't bring a phone, something the Watts urged him to do.
“He said ‘That would be a good idea' but he wasn't going to get one,” Mr. Watt recalled.
Being completely alone in the wilderness was just part of the adventure, he had told them.
“That's just the way it is,'” he said. “ The challenge was man versus nature.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nati...article1488960/

Please debate

#197163 - 03/04/10 12:20 PM Re: Survival enthusiast didn’t survive [Re: Northerner]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Already being debated in another thread

#197171 - 03/04/10 01:12 PM Re: Survival enthusiast didn’t survive [Re: Northerner]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Also the Globe and Mail does not like their complete articles posted on other websites/forums....ask me how I know the hard way....

John Lubbock

#197181 - 03/04/10 02:23 PM Re: Survival enthusiast didn’t survive [Re: Teslinhiker]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Also the Globe and Mail does not like their complete articles posted on other websites/forums....ask me how I know the hard way....

1) Arguably the "quote" is public domain.
2) Asserting copyright could be considered adverse to G&M's interests because it discourage people from looking at or posting links to their website. It's not as if we are seeking to profit from them.
3) It could be considered a breach of duty of care. After all we are in the buisness of encouraging people to take such measures as to ensure their safety.

#197186 - 03/04/10 02:59 PM Re: Survival enthusiast didn’t survive [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
The reason I mentioned this, a person posted a complete G&B article on my blog and my web host and l received a rather stern letter from their legal firm that threatened to shut us down...

Also DR has a sticky on this very subject.

John Lubbock

#197189 - 03/04/10 03:28 PM Re: Survival enthusiast didn’t survive [Re: Teslinhiker]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Unless the holder of the copyright has agreed to it, nothing published is "public domain".

Asserting copyright is the only way to protect copyright, if a copyright holder allows their work to be published without asserting their rights, they lose credibility and legal standing.

Last time I checked, the Toronto Globe and Mail is not a medical care provider, the idea that a newspaper even has a "duty of care" is simply absurd.

As for the being in the business stuff, time for a serious reality check.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#197192 - 03/04/10 03:35 PM Re: Survival enthusiast didn’t survive [Re: JohnE]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: JohnE
Unless the holder of the copyright has agreed to it, nothing published is "public domain".

Asserting copyright is the only way to protect copyright, if a copyright holder allows their work to be published without asserting their rights, they lose credibility and legal standing.

Last time I checked, the Toronto Globe and Mail is not a medical care provider, the idea that a newspaper even has a "duty of care" is simply absurd.

As for the being in the business stuff, time for a serious reality check.

"Duty of care" is a universal legal duty. Certainly in the western world amonst those countries whose legal systems derive from English Common Law.
In simple terms it's the duty not do do anything that by act or ommission causes harm to others.

#197222 - 03/04/10 08:03 PM Re: Survival enthusiast didn’t survive [Re: Teslinhiker]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Also DR has a sticky on this very subject.

Thats what I was thinking. If there is a sticky on the subject, legalities don't really matter...

#197258 - 03/05/10 12:52 AM Re: Survival enthusiast didn’t survive [Re: Northerner]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I'm going to lock this thread as it's a duplicate.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 446 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.