Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#197124 - 03/04/10 02:31 AM New Here: hello all.
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Hey everyone,
I came across this forum through some random google search a couple days ago, and I have since been reading the threads til my eyes are crossing. Now my account was approved and I can jump in and say hi. I don't know much about much when it comes to survival stuff, but I think I'll learn a lot here.

I'm a mom to a three year old girl, stepmom to 3 teenage girls. My dear husband is a Marine, and I often worry about what will happen if he is not around one day when the SHTF. So, here I find myself scouring the net for information.

I think my first step is going to be to prepare an emergency binder like I saw mentioned in another thread. Meanwhile, each time I do my shopping I will be working on food and first aid stocking. Any third step suggestions are welcomed!

I suppose my biggest worry is that some disaster will happen, and I alone will be responsible for keeping my kids alive!

Anyway, nice to meet you all, and I hope I am able to contribute something here or there that someone might find useful!

~Marion C. Garretty

#197126 - 03/04/10 02:47 AM Re: New Here: hello all. [Re: Krista]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Welcome!

To tell the truth, I think women are a little better mentally set up to deal with some of this stuff. The guys are more interested in gear! You can do it!

Shelter
Fire
Water
Food
First Aid

Just start with the basics and keep going. Don't be afraid to ask questions. There ARE no stupid questions!

Identify what problems you are most likely to face where you live, and then work on how to deal with them.

If you think it might be likely that you would have to go to a shelter, why not start with that? A couple of carryable totes with lids with what you think the four of you would need for a stay in a Red Cross shelter. Then branch out to sheltering at home and in your car, or at a friend's or relative's place.

Even thinking that something could happen is farther than most Americans will plan ahead. You'll do fine.

Sue

#197130 - 03/04/10 03:05 AM Re: New Here: hello all. [Re: Krista]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Welcome to the fire! We're glad you found this place worth of joining.

-Blast

Edited by Blast (03/04/10 10:53 PM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#197133 - 03/04/10 03:16 AM Re: New Here: hello all. [Re: Krista]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Krista

I'm a mom to a three year old girl, stepmom to 3 teenage girls.

You're already a survivor. Mothers of teenagers are among the toughest people around. That's a survival situation I haven't faced. I'd sooner deal with a month-long power outage in July.

Also check out this blog by a mom who became interested in preparedness and in classic achiever-mom fashion, is learning everything she can and sharing her knowledge.

http://thesurvivalmom.com/

Susan got you off to a great start. It helped me to organize learning and prep around the basic tenants of survival.

Welcome aboard! Good to have another chick around here.

:-)

#197134 - 03/04/10 03:20 AM Re: New Here: hello all. [Re: Dagny]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Hello, Krista. Welcome aboard!

#197136 - 03/04/10 03:28 AM Re: New Here: hello all. [Re: dougwalkabout]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Howdy.

#197143 - 03/04/10 03:57 AM Re: New Here: hello all. [Re: Krista]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Hello new person. *waves*

If it gets rough, how together are the teenagers? I'm not trying to be mean, I knew some who were already thinking about prep (JIM, Climberslacker) enough to come here. Others... not so much. In any case, talk with them, be open about what you are doing with the preps and why.

And the why is the good part. What kind of dangers do you have, how long do you think you can stay if you have to bug in, and if you have to bug out, where are you going? How are you getting there, becuase with a three year old you probably aren't walking.

So far, you've got a good start in terms of the gear. Take your time on the food and medical, you can do that in bits and peices as you are now. And a Blast Book is a serious tool, and very drool worthy if you can do a complete one. The third step is to plan, like I mentioned. What can go wrong naturally? What are y our man made threats? How to get out, and when that route turns into a parking lot, now what? That is the real tactical thinking in prepping IMHO.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#197151 - 03/04/10 05:33 AM Re: New Here: hello all. [Re: ironraven]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Welcome to the fire, good people here.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#197164 - 03/04/10 12:22 PM Re: New Here: hello all. [Re: leemann]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Welcome to the Fire and Semper Fi!!!

I totally agree with Susan's advice and Blast's Book has been an invaluable asset (Guidance) for my wife since I am also gone from home a great deal. We are also a military family that are now retired.

Possible problems to look for and at, IMO, are:

Natural - Hurricanes, Earthquakes, Winter Storms, Volcanoes, Tsunami, etc. Look at how probable these are likely to occur in your area and then you can start figuring out ways to mitigate the effects such an occurrance would have on you and your family.

Manmade - Any highways, railroads, or navigable rivers near you? If commercial traffic comes near your home, then Hazardous Cargoes are using those routes and a HazMat Incident could occur that would force a quick evacuation. The possibility of a terrorist incident, a nuclear power plant accident upwind of you should be determined and assessed, as well, IMO.

I definitely recommend that each person in the household have a BoB. These can be assembled over time and improved upon over time.

Every place has it's STOBOR!!!

#197172 - 03/04/10 01:23 PM Re: New Here: hello all. [Re: wildman800]
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Okay, LOL, let’s see if I can get replies to you all in here, I’m not really used to “chatting” in forums, it might take me a bit to figure out the most efficient way to reply to multiple posts!

Susan- I love your idea for getting totes ready for emergency. I’m a bit OCD and already use them like crazy! I am not really sure if the red cross shelter is applicable to my situation… you see, I live on a military base and quite honestly, I don’t know what would happen here in an emergency situation. I can guess that the first thing would be base lockdown (no one in no one out). I am definitely going to make an emergency kit to keep in my vehicle, though, that’s just practical for even a regular old break-down.

Blast- Thanks for the welcome, I have to say your emergency binder sucked me in! And the wild edibles blogs are great. The one link in your signature says for mobile devices…. How can I get that on my phone, just bookmark it as a favorite page through the browser? (sorry, I’m not all the tech savvy)

Dadgny- Thanks for the link, I‘m enjoying it with my morning coffee!

Hi Doug, Art and leeman, thanks for the welcome!

Ironraven-You definitely made some good points. My teenagers are aware of the possibilities of things that can happen. They have pretty good heads on their shoulders (one per kid I mean, not multiple heads). They take direction just fine, but if they were alone I’m not sure they would fare to well….

Wildman- I think it’s a great idea for everyone to have their own emergency bag. Do you think I should have similar items in everyone’s…. Or a variety in each bag so that as a group we have more options? As I type that I realize the flaw… if we were separated one person might me more “screwed” if their bag wasn’t sufficient….. hmmm.

~Marion C. Garretty

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.