Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#194672 - 01/31/10 01:08 AM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: dougwalkabout]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
My son and his best friend both earned their Eagle Scout ranks last fall. As part of their courts of honor both boys were presented Kabar Marine Corps knives from the local Marine Corps Detachment. Very cool. Great knives, BUT both boys said they wanted to save the knives and not use them when camping. I can understand that - at least for now.

So, as an extra gift, I bought each of them a Mora Allaround as a knife that they can use, enjoy, and not have to worry about loosing (for that price I'll replace it for them).

I have several Moras, and these do not disappoint. I like the handles a lot - grippy without feeling tacky (like it might attract dirt). Nice thickness for most hands.

The blades are better finished than most of my other Moras. The trademark stamped on the blade is VERY clear and clean and the spine is nice and smooth - which gives more of a sense of quality. Same great edge and blade shape as the others.

The sheath fit is nice and tight - enough that the thumb ramp on the sheath is real handy for popping the knife and sheath apart. It has a belt clip (doesn't have to be threaded through the belt) and has a drain hole near the blade tip.

The only complaint is that I wish the sheath could be used either right or left handed. My son's buddy is right-handed - my son is left-handed.

Oh, and I like the color - not too bright to embarrass a young teenage boy, but enough to be more findable on the ground if dropped (especially the sheath - which I think may be more likely to get dropped than the knife).

#194730 - 01/31/10 08:06 PM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: dougwalkabout]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Thanks Doug, hopefully I edited the link correctly to www.workwearcanada.com

Thanks for the review KenK, I am eager to try the new Mora Allround knife out, they should arrive this week.

Mike

#194770 - 02/01/10 02:35 AM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
gatormba Offline

Loc: Alabama
Call me old fashioned but I still love my Ka-Bar and for a folder my Ka-Bar Mule.

#194794 - 02/01/10 11:45 AM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: sodak]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: sodak
For surviving, I think that a Vic Huntsman, Huntsman Lite, Deluxe Tinker, or even a Farmer - pic one - makes the best survival knife by far. As far as I've tested, they do everything that a Mora can do, and better, as well as doing a whole lot more.

Now if you are talking about heavier duty usage, I would go the Fallkniven/Becker/Busse route. But I would ALWAYS have a Vic on me...

Heavier duty use is a given in a survival situation. I consider a Mora/Fallkniven/Becker/Busse complimentary to the SAK.

Having said that: If it's one knife only time, I either carry a full sized Victorinox Multitool or Trekker/Soldier '09.

#195131 - 02/05/10 04:15 AM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: SwampDonkey]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
Thanks Doug, hopefully I edited the link correctly to www.workwearcanada.com

Thanks for the review KenK, I am eager to try the new Mora Allround knife out, they should arrive this week.

Mike

I went to the link, and in addition to the Mora knives, they have Wetterlings axes. I have a Wetterlings, and it is surprisingly light and sharp, with a long tapered cutting edge. I can do some carving, make a featherstick, gut a deer with it. Maybe the best survival knife is not a knife after all......

#195204 - 02/06/10 01:03 AM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey, I received the 10 Mora Craftmans Allround knives yesterday. The knives are very nice and will serve the purpose well, I like it better than a Clipper, and that says a lot. The red sheaths are as poor as Mora sheaths always are. I put neck lanyards on them as when they are clipped on a belt they do not extract well. If you push hard enough to extract the knife the plastic bends at the junction of the sheath pocket and clip.

In summary, really like the knife, really hate the sheath.

Paul at Workwear Canada does have lots of neat stuff and I will be ordering more from him soon. Check out his product review videos, he does a good job, sounds like a normal kind of guy.

Mike

#196190 - 02/20/10 12:54 AM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: SwampDonkey]
Lqdtrance Offline
Stranger

Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY
Hello to you all. This site is great, tons of info to go through here!
I have a question. I plan on purchasing a Mora allaround for basic usage and I am also looking at 2 other knives to compliment that. I am looking at the Becker BK2 and BK7. What are your thoughts on those 2?
They are in my price range. I cannot afford a Fallkiniven. I also heard that the SOG seal pup is a good blade. Any thoughts on that one as well? Thanks.

#196199 - 02/20/10 02:50 AM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: Lqdtrance]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Lqdtrance
Hello to you all. This site is great, tons of info to go through here!
I have a question. I plan on purchasing a Mora allaround for basic usage and I am also looking at 2 other knives to compliment that. I am looking at the Becker BK2 and BK7. What are your thoughts on those 2?
They are in my price range. I cannot afford a Fallkiniven. I also heard that the SOG seal pup is a good blade. Any thoughts on that one as well? Thanks.

I have a Becker BK2, and I field tested it last winter. It is a well built but very heavy knife. It has a good kydex sheath which holds the knife securely. The BK7 and other Beckers come with a woven nylon sheath. The blade is a full 1/4 inch thick at the spine. IMO, it is too short for efficient chopping, and too thick for detail work, but would stand up to pounding, digging and prying. I keep in in my SUV for emergencies. There ia a dazzling array of knives available but you didn't say what your purpose is, so it's hard to advise.

#196211 - 02/20/10 05:01 AM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: Lqdtrance]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Of the larger fixed-blade knives I've handled the Becker BK2 is one of the better ones. Simple, tough, small enough to wear it covers the bases. Inexpensive and completely un-flashy are good also.

It is a bit bigger than I usually carry, even for a large fixed blade knife I would rather it had a 4" blade instead of the 5.5" but the difference isn't a deal breaker if I'm away from civilization. A smaller knife can usually do everything a larger one can. It just takes a little more time but also might save you effort. So perception is the real difference. Wear a knife with a 5" to 6" blade while in the woods and you look prepared. Wear the same knife in an urban area and your a nut. A large folder might be better if you like a larger blade.

#196218 - 02/20/10 01:11 PM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Lqdtrance Offline
Stranger

Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY
Byrd - Sorry I didn't add that info. I am mainly going to use the knife for Backpacking, hiking, camping and a survival knife. I plan on supplementing the larger knife with a smaller one like the Mora allaround or Ritters MK5.
A 1/4 inch thick spine is quite thick though. Is it the same thickness on the BK7? I couldn't find the data.
Now you know what I am using them for. My price range is under $100 for a knife. That's why I was looking at those. I also checked out the military issue Ka-bar. I know nothing of those either though.
I know I want a solid tang and preferably one with a pommel. Unless a pommel isn't worth it. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.