Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#209391 - 10/09/10 09:00 PM Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! [Re: Mark_M]
LED Offline
Veteran

Another vote for the Sven saw. I used my 15" on a recent trip to Sequoia and, being late in the season, the only wood left were 6-10" logs. It took some work on the larger pieces but the Sven cut like a champion. Seriously, this little saw is a workhorse.

#209404 - 10/10/10 02:24 AM Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! [Re: dougwalkabout]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Sorry Doug! Your 1st post on this one,Not the sort to trifle with when out on a Spree,After a Long stint in the Bush!Minneapolis is One heck of a Beautiful city,as is it's Twin St.Paul,However just like any other great city,Probably anywhere in the World,It has a Rough/adventerous part,that said,Since there isn't an Ocean right there,It's lacking in Sailors,However,Lumberjacks Trump Sailors in this neck of the woods or at least they did,Back in the day!

#209428 - 10/10/10 04:20 PM Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
The swede saw, in all it's forms is a great tool, for everyday work, camping and survival. Although I would never want to be without an axe, the saw runs a close second. I carry a Trail Blazer type saw when expecting to use wood fires.

Terms as commonly used in the logging industry in my experience (local terms may vary):

Swede Saw - A usually bow shaped steel frame with a tensioned blade (see the picture from Scafool on P 4). First imported from Sweden in the early 1900's. Usually set up for one man to cut more quickly since the blade is in tension (pulled) in both directions.

Bow Saw - Any saw with a bow shaped frame.

Buck Saw - A saw where the blade is tensioned by a screw or cord (again see the picture by Scafool). Designed for Bucking wood - crosscutting down timber to appropiate length for expected use (often on a crossbuck, a stand to hold the wood).

Two man saw - Any saw used by two men, could be a Swede saw, a crosscut saw or a whip saw (or one of several other types).

Two man crosscut - A large saw (often from 4 feet to 8 feet long) that is used in felling trees and cutting them to length (cutting across the grain of the wood).

Two man rip saw (a Whip saw) - A large saw, usually similar in shape to a crosscut, used for making planks out of trees. Often a wider blade (to keep the cut straight for long distances), the teeth are different to improve cutting speed when cutting with the grain. Different teeth may be used for green and dry wood.

The best,

JerryF

Edited by JerryFountain (10/10/10 05:52 PM)

#209451 - 10/10/10 11:40 PM Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
The sad thing is, I've been looking for a small Sandvik bow saw. They used to be everywhere, especially on Chrismas tree farms, scouting functions, and apple orchards. Alas, it looks like Sandvik of Sweden fell prey to globalization. The name was bought by Bahco, and the saws they offer now are of obscure origin.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 181 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.