Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#197353 - 03/05/10 11:46 PM Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! [Re: Teslinhiker]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Where I live, this is what we call a swede saw. Don't see many of these nowadays and they command a good price when available.

This saw is a smaller one and there are some that were easily double the length and width. I remember when I was a strapping and strong teenager and having to pull on one of these saws. It was extremely difficult to maintain a good rhythm and did not take long for the arms and shoulders to start aching...

These saws required a lot of cooperation with your partner and history books have stories of friends and spouses arguing that the other was not doing their fair share of the work. Many times, the arguments were long suffering and vehement enough that they eventually led to enough bitterness to permanently end the relationship.

We called those a two man crosscut saw. I remember them well. If you got impatient with your partner (in my case, my brother), you ended up pushing the saw to get them to speed up, and the saw would bind.

#197376 - 03/06/10 05:03 AM Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
What I grew up calling a Swede Saw were all variations of this steel bow saw.

If it had a square frame, usually wooden, we called it a bucksaw
www.bensbackwoods.com

Swede saws we sometimes used for felling as well as for bucking up our wood, the buck saw was not normally used for felling.

The advantage on both of them is the thin ribbon blade does not bind in the cut very much.
By the time your cut is deep enough to close the pinch point is at the top of the cut.
The back of the saw blade is usually deeper in the cut than the pinch point, so you don't need to wedge the cut open or to cut from the bottom.

I should have mentioned taking a piece of old garden hose or something and splitting it to use as an edge guard. These blades are usually very sharp when new and will slice the hell out of your gear if you are not careful.

You should also release the tension on a bow frame if you are storing it.
However, if the bow frame gets bent and does not put enough tension on the blade then the blade can be taken off, the frame bent open a bit to increase the tension, and the blade put back on.

Edited by scafool (03/06/10 05:30 AM)

#197378 - 03/06/10 05:30 AM Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! [Re: Teslinhiker]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Hey, that's a classic. I've heard it called a swede saw, but more often a whipsaw.

I have one of those on the wall of my shop/barn. It's twice as deep, nearly five feet long, and the handles are missing. Some dunce threw it on the recycling pile at the local landfill, and I quickly redirected/repurposed it (slid it into the bed of my truck) in the interests of history and art.

I stand in great awe of the men who spent their days working these saws. They must have been muscled like boxers. Not the sort to trifle with while they were on a spree after a long winter in the bush ...

#197395 - 03/06/10 03:42 PM Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! [Re: dougwalkabout]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
that whipsaw must still be seen as the best two person saw around.
the photo is the load a couple of Rangers i met in the wilderness park in Northern Minnesota had.i was so impressed by the pile of gear and the neat way they had it packed in the canoe that i took a photo.they were clearing dead fall from the portages and because this is a "no motors" wilderness they were using hand tools.the saw is on top next to the shovel.

Edited by CANOEDOGS (03/06/10 03:43 PM)

#209334 - 10/08/10 05:03 PM Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm curious -- are any of these small, light folding saws able to accept hack-saw blades?

Thanks,

-john

#209337 - 10/08/10 06:01 PM Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Yes, absolutely. I have several of the 12" jobs. They often come with both.

My local discount house (Princess Auto) has a deal for a made in China 12" swede saw type frame, with the all-important knuckle guard, that comes with both wood and hacksaw blades. $2.22 CAD.

The supplied blades are what you'd expect (lousy, because the set for the wood blade doesn't give a wide enough kerf, so they bind) but there's nothing wrong with the frame.

Edited by dougwalkabout (10/08/10 06:02 PM)

#209346 - 10/08/10 07:57 PM Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! [Re: dougwalkabout]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
In Minneapolis,That's probably How Lake Street 1st became,What it is Today!

#209348 - 10/08/10 09:14 PM Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! [Re: Richlacal]
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Rich_, I really don't have a clue as to what you mean. Kindly add subtitles and/or context.

Cheers,
-Doug

#209359 - 10/09/10 08:20 AM Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
I'm a bit uncertain if I like this patent or not. It sure works GREAT for small diameter stuff, but moving up to say 4" the triangular handle will hit the log when you're halfway through. This limits the length of the cut: You cannot use long strokes anymore, just short strokes with the middle part of the blade.

I keep a 15" Sven Saw 9triangular frame) in my Jeep at all times. Just about a month ago I used it to saw a 10" diameter log into campfire-size lengths. It took me less than ten minutes per section. Yes, as you start getting into the center of thicker wood, stroke length does become a problem. However, just roll the log 180 degrees and cut from the other side, then roll 90 degrees and cut again, one more 180 degree turn and you can quickly finish the job.

But if it were a survival situation and I couldn't roll a log due to injury, I'd still be happy enough cutting through 4" or 6" logs.

#209360 - 10/09/10 08:26 AM Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! [Re: Mac]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Mac
Saws are great little bits of gear when an axe can't be used.

Au Contraire! I find a Sven Saw is faster and requires less effort than an axe, though I'll be the first to admit that my aim with an axe leaves something to be desired. Of course it's hard to split wood with a saw.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.