Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#196984 - 03/02/10 11:50 AM Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!!
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
It was a chilly and drizzly evening in the north woods...the kind of drizzle that was not quite rain, not quite fog. The sun goes down early in October and I was returning to my solo camp a little later than I had planned. I had spent the afternoon in a remote gravel pit shooting 12 ga slugs, about 50 of them, practicing shots at different ranges and elevations. I had planned to buy dinner and some firewood at a little place I had been to many times before on the remote Mooseline Trail. With anticipation of a warm place and a hot meal, I crested the ridge in my truck. Almost there, I could see the old sign on a long pole. I felt like I was starving, and a hot roast beef sandwich and a beer was now in my sights. As I got closer in the dim light I sensed something wrong; the sign was there but where was the building? It took my mind a minute to comprehend what I was seeing; my little refuge in the woods had burned to the ground. There was nothing else around and now feeling cold and hungry, I needed to return to my soggy camp and make a fire. I would need more firewood than I had in camp. I had a saw and a large camp hatchet in my truck, and I took the hatchet into the dripping wet woods. I found that the repeated impact on my shoulder from 50 rounds of high-brass slugs had rendered my right arm almost useless. In the rain I couldn't hold and swing the hatchet safely. I went back to my truck and got my small Swede saw. It saved the day, and soon I had a stack of firewood and a nice little fire going. Without that saw, it would have been a cold and wet evening in camp. Lesson learned, plenty of firewood under a tarp in my camp now, and a shiny new small backup swede saw in my gear......Hotdogs in the rain never tasted so good.

#196989 - 03/02/10 01:23 PM Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I was once salvaging old mesquite fence posts for firewood, and the mesquite would dull our chain saw to the point where a resharpened chain was needed about every third log. I figured I was going to have a tough job cutting the logs to fireplace length with my swede saw...

No problem. The saw went through the mesquite like a hot knife through butter. I do keep a small one in my vehicle all the time.

#196992 - 03/02/10 01:37 PM Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! [Re: hikermor]
GauchoViejo Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Argentina
Excuse my ignorance. What is a Swede saw? Is it a folding saw like the Bahco Laplander or something different?

#196993 - 03/02/10 01:47 PM Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! [Re: GauchoViejo]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
It is also called a bow saw. Folding or not folding would depend on how the handle is constructed, but the blade can easily be removed for safer storage and handling (provided you've got a tube or something to stuff the blade into).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bow_saw

I've seen variants of these where the handle and blade would fold into a single lightweight tube - but of course with some minor reduction in size and robustness.

#196994 - 03/02/10 02:16 PM Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I have one of these and LOVE it. It's light, sharp, packs small, and carries extra blades inside the handle.
What-A-Saw
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#196997 - 03/02/10 02:32 PM Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! [Re: Blast]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
nice,but the frame restricts the depth of the cut.this is also a big issue on the canoeing site..frame saw V.S.folding limbing saw.

#197024 - 03/02/10 11:12 PM Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Hanscom Offline
Journeyman

I heard a secondhand reference once to a Canada Ministry of Transport study where they interviewed pilots who had survived aircraft forced landings. The interviews went through what equipment did they have with them, what did they use, what did they NOT use, what did they need (water was on the top of that list).

One thing they noted was that you should pick tools that can be deployed and used with your non-dominant hand, since that hand is frequently damaged or broken in an accident.

That suggests that a saw would be better than an axe or machete both for cutting and for safety. I fear that the limbs I would cut off using an axe lefthanded would probably be my own.

#197029 - 03/03/10 12:15 AM Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! [Re: GauchoViejo]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: GauchoViejo
Excuse my ignorance. What is a Swede saw? Is it a folding saw like the Bahco Laplander or something different?

As someone mentioned above, this saw has different names, Bow saw, buck saw, as well as Swede saw. The old ones had a wood frame, the new ones have a lightweight steel frame. You can see one here: http://www.toolnewz.com/HandTool_Basics/Handsaw.html

#197044 - 03/03/10 02:04 AM Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Mac Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
...I found that the repeated impact on my shoulder from 50 rounds of high-brass slugs had rendered my right arm almost useless....

In addition to a saw, you might want to purchace a membership to your local gym! grin grin grin

#197052 - 03/03/10 03:14 AM Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! [Re: Hanscom]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Way back, at least where I was, most people called them a 'Sven Saw'. There was a larger bow version that was quite capable and a small and lighter folding triangular looking unit that was popular with campers and trail clearing crews. Folded you had a single aluminum bar with all the pieces or the frame and the blade stored inside.

Good product. Haven't seen one in a few years.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 186 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.