The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#196786 - 02/28/10 03:16 AM Re: Canned meat field test [Re: Art_in_FL]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Canned tripe... where the can has more value than the contents.

I remember when canned cat food had eyes in it. Today, it's kind of hard to tell if I've opened the El Cheapo human-grade tuna or cat tuna. The only way that I can tell at home is that I tend to claim the albacore as mine and all others belong to the cats.

However, I do have a slight edge on meat procurement... I have a ChowXPomeranian rescue dog that I found, and she won't touch the chickens or cats, but so far, she's racked up two rats, three moles, five young opossums and a vole. She will also dig them up, which adds rototilling to her value.

Sue

#196790 - 02/28/10 04:00 AM Re: Canned meat field test [Re: rebwa]
Hike4Fun Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: rebwa
I actually use the canned chicken from Costco all the time in salads and pasta as well as keeping several packages in reserve. It's really pretty darn good! They sell it in packages of six 12.5oz cans. My dogs love it too!

About how much does this cost?
Anybody!

And how does Spam, turkey Spam, canned salmon, sardines,
or other grocery store canned food compare to MRE's ?

#196800 - 02/28/10 05:30 AM Re: Canned meat field test [Re: Hike4Fun]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Hike..Spam and a MRE meat pouch are about the same price.$3 for the MRE and i think Spam is just a bit under that.the chicken paddy in the picture i posted on the Coleman pot thread was not bad and a solid hunk of meat,no BBQ sauce so it needs to go with something.i think you could get several servings from a can of Spam but the paddy was right for one person.the thing about the MRE's is that you can get some good "phony" dinners like a pork riblet,meatloaf,meat paddy,that sort of thing and mix up the tastes so eating does not get too dull,i'm thinking camping here.
if you want really good canned meat try Leaman's,the place that sells Amish hardware.they have added big cans of beef,pork and turkey to their catalog and i'm sure it's about the best you could get.if your putting away food for an emergency i would get a big mix of everything you can find at the local store.

#196802 - 02/28/10 07:08 AM Re: Canned meat field test [Re: Hike4Fun]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
I bought some canned chicken, canned ham, potted meat, tuna, albacore, canned salmon, and a few different canned meats. I bought it from Big Lots (no affiliation) here and there and still didnt pay more then $1.00 a can for the most expensive of them all. I think the 2.5 lbs can of ham was $1.50 but not more. I taste tested all of them and honestly I am NOT a fan of spam, but I am a less of a fan of starving. I rotate it out and if it ever gets too old, I just donate it to a cause. No sence just throwing it out. There are too many starving Americans to throw canned meat in the trash!

I also find some GREAT deals in my local supermarket. They will have deals and closeouts on different brands of canned meats. Anyway - I rarely pay more then $1 for any of my canned foods.

#196806 - 02/28/10 08:59 AM Re: Canned meat field test [Re: epirider]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Slightly OT.
Has anybody considered canning their own meat and fish.
I had friends on the BC coast that used to can their own meats. They used tin cans to do it instead of glass.
The pressure canner and lid sealer were the expensive items.

#196809 - 02/28/10 11:49 AM Re: Canned meat field test [Re: scafool]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: scafool
Slightly OT.
I had friends on the BC coast that used to can their own meats. They used tin cans to do it instead of glass.

I have had home-canned roast beef in a jar made by some friends in Wisconsin. It was excellent.

#196812 - 02/28/10 03:05 PM Re: Canned meat field test [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
I just picked up a can of Spam with cheese yesterday to try out. I actually didn't know they had so many flavors until I went to their site. Now I know what to keep an eye out for. SPAM Flavors I have 2 cans of the Tabasco to try out as well. I'm thinking that they will prolly be my favorite flavor.

#196813 - 02/28/10 03:26 PM Re: Canned meat field test [Re: scafool]
Mac Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: scafool
Slightly OT.

Buy some Mason jars and lids. Put a foil pie plate in the bottom of the pot and fill the pot with water, bring to a boil.

Cut your meat into cubes, add to each jar until 3/4 full. add salt and chopped onion for flavor. Fill with water till just covering the meat. Seal with the mason jar lids and place them in the large pot of boiling water for about 3 hours.

Remove and let them sit on a counter top to cool. You will hear the lids pop as they seal. Once cooled the lids should all be "sucked in" to indicate they are properly set.

Meat "bottled down" as we say in these parts, will keep for years unspoiled. I ate some that was from 2004 not long ago and it was fine.

Way cheaper than canning and you can re-use the jars. You need new lids each time however.

#196814 - 02/28/10 03:46 PM Re: Canned meat field test [Re: Mac]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Mac

Buy some Mason jars and lids. Put a foil pie plate in the bottom of the pot and fill the pot with water, bring to a boil.

Cut your meat into cubes, add to each jar until 3/4 full. add salt and chopped onion for flavor. Fill with water till just covering the meat. Seal with the mason jar lids and place them in the large pot of boiling water for about 3 hours.

Canning any type of meat or fish by water bath methods is NOT recommended nor safe. The only safe method is using a pressure canner as botulism cannot be killed by the water bath method no matter how long you let the water boil.

Yes, many people still use the water batch method because their parents/grandparents used this method "with no problems"...but it is not safe and not worth risking your life,...or another persons' life over.

John Lubbock

#196819 - 02/28/10 05:11 PM Re: Canned meat field test [Re: Mac]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Teslinhiker is totally correct. The waterbath method is only safe for fruits, sugared foods (jams) and high-acid foods like regular tomatoes (not the yellow low-acid kinds).

The only alternative I know is to raise the acidity of the low-acid foods by adding an acid like vinegar, which may alter the taste.

Here is the updated, online USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning.

Just FYI, the crop that has had the most incidents with botulism in home canning is green beans. Properly done, they're safe.

A home pressure COOKER is just as good as a home pressure CANNER, it just can't hold as much.

Sue

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 266 Guests and 108 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.