The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#196833 - 02/28/10 07:19 PM Re: Tsunamis & Chilean Earthquakes [Re: clarktx]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: clarktx
This reminds me of something blast said at lunch a few days ago. "we are preparing for more than the end of the world".

I was looking at CNN and how they said that looters were being dispersed from near empty grocery stores.

Even as a child, we had at least 2 weeks of food on hand because of the blizzards we would endure. Actually we only went to the store every 2 weeks even in the summer.

Here are some interesting facts.

It never ceases to amaze me when seeing the news reports of the panic buying going on before or after a storm or event. I could understand it if a person were under financial hardship but in many cases it's just lack of planning. Making a run for dairy products, bread and fresh produce is one thing. But when you see the runs on canned goods, toilet paper and dry dog food. One does begin to wonder. I always check the expire dates and just rotate things out. The kibble I buy is one of the better dry dog foods, with less preservatives and additives than the grocery store brands, and still has an expire date 9 to 10 months out.

#196867 - 03/01/10 01:13 AM Re: Tsunamis & Chilean Earthquakes [Re: rebwa]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

People in general are living closer to the edge. A lot of middle class families into the 70s had a months income in the bank and a couple of weeks supplies in the pantry.

Presently a similar number are several thousand dollars in debt to their credit card company, are driving cars they owe money on, and living in a house they can't afford. And have been living beyond their means so long that they don't know any other way of getting by.

#196893 - 03/01/10 10:09 AM Re: Tsunamis & Chilean Earthquakes [Re: rebwa]
Onedzguy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Lost in Waipahu, HI
Originally Posted By: rebwa
Originally Posted By: clarktx
This reminds me of something blast said at lunch a few days ago. "we are preparing for more than the end of the world".

I was looking at CNN and how they said that looters were being dispersed from near empty grocery stores.

Even as a child, we had at least 2 weeks of food on hand because of the blizzards we would endure. Actually we only went to the store every 2 weeks even in the summer.

Here are some interesting facts.

It never ceases to amaze me when seeing the news reports of the panic buying going on before or after a storm or event. I could understand it if a person were under financial hardship but in many cases it's just lack of planning. Making a run for dairy products, bread and fresh produce is one thing. But when you see the runs on canned goods, toilet paper and dry dog food. One does begin to wonder. I always check the expire dates and just rotate things out. The kibble I buy is one of the better dry dog foods, with less preservatives and additives than the grocery store brands, and still has an expire date 9 to 10 months out.

Ahh yes. My dad was one of those that had the rude awakening from the 6am civil defense sirens. Strangely enough that Costco was open that early. So he went off to Costco and did his shopping of food. I didn't tell him about the hidden reserve in my closet. I did a lot of prep work when they turned the tsunami advisory to a tsunami warning and that was 6 hours before the official word got at 6am. Around 3:30am I went to bed and woke up around 11am when the 2nd alert siren went off.
I turned on the TV and started eating a Cherrios like it was popcorn.

#196894 - 03/01/10 10:11 AM Re: Tsunamis & Chilean Earthquakes [Re: Onedzguy]
Onedzguy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Lost in Waipahu, HI
Oh I keep forgetting. Has anyone heard from Aloha?

#196898 - 03/01/10 01:27 PM Re: Tsunamis & Chilean Earthquakes [Re: rebwa]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: rebwa

It never ceases to amaze me when seeing the news reports of the panic buying going on before or after a storm or event.

Sometimes space is an issue. The containers for storing three week's of water for a family of four in preparation for a hurricane can be very bulky. There's a lot of plywood involved in protecting the house which is just a nuisance most years.

I admit that's rarely the problem for the hordes emptying shelves at the store, but it is an issue.

#196919 - 03/01/10 06:27 PM Re: Tsunamis & Chilean Earthquakes [Re: NightHiker]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"The end of the world is easy to prepare for, it's all the stuff that'll happen between now and then that's got my attention."

Well put!

James_Van_A: for the space problem you mentioned, it would seem that one of those Water BOBs would be a good thing to have.

It fits in a standard bathtub, and you just fill it up. It would be good for hurricanes (assuming you were planning on sheltering in place, because you get some warning. Earthquakes, not so good.

Sue

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.