Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#196553 - 02/25/10 01:33 AM What do you keep at the office?
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I saw this topic in another forum and seem to remember it being done here too once or twice. However, it may be a good reminder to all to think about what is 'on hand' or what you personally keep for yourself at work for those unplanned events.

I used to work at a place with two cafeterias that kept a lot of supplies on hand and we had bottled water in the .5 liter bottles available. They also supplied the big coolers with the huge jugs for drinking water all over the place too with a stack of refills by them. They had refrigerators all over the place and lots of folks kept 12 packs (or more) of soda on hand too. We had a nurse/medical center too with everything you would ever want for first aid and medical emergency support. One year the safety office gave all the employees a 'survival kit' a lot like this one:http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/ultimate-survival-kit-in-a-water-bottle-4

While I had something better than that on hand and the vehicle outside with it's supplies it was nice to know that at least some of the bare basics were covered. I kept my freebie kit in my desk just in case someone would need it... Mom always said it was nice to share! I'm not there anymore but it is one of the warm fuzzy feelings the place gave me.

#196560 - 02/25/10 02:40 AM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: pforeman]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Our office can get predictably nutso at times, so I keep the basics handy, a couple of emergency meals, comfort food (popcorn!)tea bags, and the like. We do have refrigerators, microwaves, and plentiful potable water. Since we are on a windowless part of the ground floor I always have a flashlight or two handy. Late evenings and even all nighters are predictably part of the routine.

I have found it useful to keep a decent small FAK at hand, and to be sure I have nitrile gloves within (The office FAK is a joke). When I am commuting by auto, which is typical during the intense periods, I like to keep items reasonably self contained within a briefcase or a small back pack (when I am on a bike).

My EDC Leatherman Wave has proven to be really useful on a number of occasions, both to me and my fellow workers. There is a "no weapons" policy in the building and I have talked to management about the distinctions between tools and weapons. So far, my Wave is a tool.

I work in earthquake country and SOP for the office is to vacate immediately, assemble outside at a rendezvous point, and plan from there, so I like to have some basics at hand and ready to grab and go. So far, I have experienced only one actual earthquake evacuation. Fortunately I live only five miles from work, so walking home is perfectly feasible.

#196562 - 02/25/10 02:46 AM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: pforeman]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Supplied by company:
0.5L bottles of water (thousands of these)
coffee (and coffee filters)
large first aid kits
ice
candy machine
pop machine
soap (dish and hand)
office supplies
safety goggles, lab coats, chem-resistant gloves, etc
hand tools, power tools

Kept in my office:
2 plates
2 bowls
assorted cups and mugs
2 sets of lexan silverware
assorted flashlights
two lighters
two candles
coins for vending machine
several MREs
instant oatmeal
bag of candy
3-4 cans of V8 juice
petroleum jelly
change of clothes
cardigan sweater
canteen
spare shoes (steel toed)
spare glasses
binoculars
assorted survival books
radio (am/fm/weather/tv bands)
batteries
digital copies of certain paperwork from home
hand lotion
list of alibis
toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss
antiperspirant
lint brush
spare shoelaces
paracord
fingernail clippers
baseball cap
disposable poncho

I think I might also have a poncho liner there but i need to double check that.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#196569 - 02/25/10 03:18 AM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: Blast]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I always have what I carry. Leatherman wave, lighter, small hank of line, bandanna, etc. And of course the clothing I'm wearing can be pressed into use in all sorts of ways.

But because it is rare that I'm ever far from my vehicle my kit remains in the truck. This also eliminates most issues with what is, and what is not, allowed and seen as appropriate in the building. This also makes sorting, maintenance and inventory a lot easier because it can all be done at home.

The stuff I have on me gets me to my vehicle and the vehicle, and/or the stuff inside, gets me to the larger gear.

#196570 - 02/25/10 03:28 AM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: Blast]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Blast
Kept in my office:
2 plates
2 bowls
assorted cups and mugs
2 sets of lexan silverware
assorted flashlights
<snip>

list of alibis
Toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss
antiperspirant
lint brush
spare shoelaces

<snip>
-Blast

Nice...I caught this one on first glance!

John Lubbock

#196578 - 02/25/10 05:29 AM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: Teslinhiker]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
grin I would just say "The dog ate my list of excuses!"

One of the college kids I sponsor is graduating and moving to San Francisco to work. A lady there advised her she should keep a pair of running shoes at the office in case of an earthquake.

That seems like a very strange suggestion to me: I'd assume one is more likely to crossing glass-strewn streets and sidewalks and that something tougher than "running shoes" is indicated.

Beyond the obvious snacks, bottled water, FAK and prescriptions, the other small earthquake-specific things I can think of are a whisk broom, (Kevlar?) gloves for handling sharp objects, hard-soled shoes for walking in debris-strewn areas, and a bag to carry it all in if she has to walk a long distance to a passable road for evac. Anything else?

#196583 - 02/25/10 08:34 AM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

I think decent shoes you can walk a long way in are a must - only time I had a problem recently was of course the time I'd rotated my hikers for a pair of gym shoes :-(

For me at 35 miles from home, walking back is the extreme solution, though walking part of it isn't a bad idea.

One suggestion (preaching to the converted here I suspect) is to think about what you have on you - if the building gets evacuated and you are in the cafeteria / meeting room / someone elses office then you won't be able to go to your desk - leaving car keys and phones in a desk draw (as some of my colleagues did during a recent fire drill) creates a drama out of a crisis

#196585 - 02/25/10 11:32 AM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: bigreddog]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I pack what I depend upon, but only work 3 days a week at the office. Among my everyday items:
1L nalgene bottle (fill it when I get in in the AM)
FAK with various small supplies (nothing for trauma, but I do keep that in my jeep)
SAK (Hiker model)
small flashlight

I also carry on me me Leatherman, a folder pocketknife, a DR picolight, a p38, and some 550 cord (about 10').

I also take a week's worth of lunch in & keep it in my drawer-granola bars, dried fruit, crackers, tuna fish, soup, etc-varies week to week. There is enough to get by on for a couple days, should, for some odd reason, I get stuck here.

MY clothing is ALWAYS utilitarian. I wear cargo pants, or dress pants that have hidden cargo pockets, comfortable shirts, always have a jacket & hat, and comfortable shoes to walk in.

#196586 - 02/25/10 12:00 PM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: oldsoldier]
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
Not much since I keep a good set of stuff in my laptop bag.

I did keep a flashlight there for a while, but the company finally bought some after a fire scare in a dark server room during a power outage. I wasn't there for that, but nobody else thought to check my desk for a flashlight. Heck, nobody could even find the fire extinguishers for a while. (Hint: they are next to the stairwells.)

I do keep some extra food and water in my desk. I should keep more water, especially since we stopped supplying bottled water to employees. But I usually have case of bottles in the car.

Other than that, it's mostly junk. A screwdriver assortment, a junk knife, some expired cold meds, etc.

#196587 - 02/25/10 12:10 PM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: pforeman]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
My office window overlooks ground zero, so I get a daily reminder to be prepared. I'm within walking distance of home, as long as the bridges over the Hudson aren't the target.

In the office:

Crank radio
A dozen N-95 masks
Liter of water (we also have the five gallon water dispensers)
Three or four heater meals
Assorted snacks and comfort food
Pair of old hiking boots
Flashlight

On my person (and in my bag):

Small FAK
Flashlight and extra batteries
Nitrile gloves
Emergency blanket
99 cent rain poncho
Map of the city
SAK
Tea bags and instant coffee
2-3 protein bars
Hand sanitizer
NATO matches
Two bandanas
Two N-95 masks

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.