Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#195594 - 02/11/10 02:21 AM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: MartinFocazio]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
I don't "hide" behind my "handle", considering I chose one that is unique, and pretty much government mandated. smile I just want to give people one more step to figure out who I am! I also use "handles" to segment interests and topics I contribute to. This makes it less likely you can find other things on me and get a more complete picture. Yes, I, like anyone else will leave "bread crumbs" in posts.

As for Facebook, these are people I have interacted with, and have some idea of how much they understand me, and don't have to self-censor as much (well, except up here in the Northeast, too many people get offended by stuff so you have to write a 15 sentence paragraph to make sure everyone gets that you're not a racist, bigot, anti-vegetarian, idiot, etc, etc ). Also, things I put on Facebook are not indexed within 30 seconds by Google.

Funny, with 530+ posts, my username only appears once in a Google Search for ETS.

So, I'm not really a fan of saying "no" to handles, because some people here (i.e. Blast ) have garnered a reputation with that identity.

I like the idea of making sure that those who have been registered for a long time and "lurk", more than contribute, do get a benefit. Obviously, if they come here a lot, they're getting a benefit, and might like to contribute. I have noticed that some come out of the woodwork once they've gotten a feel for 1) the environment and 2) the topics on the board. They'll eventually notice something "missing" from the discussion and realize they're the only one to notice this and will immediately subscribe!

I look forward to the "premium" setup, and I would gladly support, as I have directly supported ETS in the past (not as regularly as I would like).

#195595 - 02/11/10 02:29 AM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: MartinFocazio]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
It seems reasonable to me, $25/year and no refunds.

But what is the real fear of posting one's name? Is your real name already out there? If you have a sensitive job, are you advertising it? And if you're on Twitter, MySpace or Facebook, or have a blog or have posted a resume online, you're already out there.

And how many other people have the same name? If someone does happen to find you, what do you think they're going to do? Break into your home -- after you mentioned that you have 17 guns, you're a staunch Second Amendment supporter, and have a short temper? Send you advertising? What? Marty's name is out there all over the place, home address, workplace, commute times and what time he is likely to be home to passing assassins. I haven't heard him mention problems.

I agree with someone's suggestion that the requirements be either 200 posts OR 3 months. I suspect that if people are posting their real names, they would be a little more careful about what they say and do. Maybe. The bi.... ah... witch in WA may be an exception.

Disclaimers aren't worth anything, posted online or written personally on paper in blood.

Sue

#195631 - 02/11/10 02:10 PM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: Susan]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Public name can be an issue for those with, or needing, security clearances. Agencies go to the internet and put a name in. What they do with the result might depend on how much time they have to hash thru the results.

My name is common enough that lots of other people come up on Google search. Some of them are in my town but aren't me. I don't know what they've been up to (except for the one that was killed while crossing the road to get his snail mail).
It's a bit like the credit report where someone gets a bad mark and suddenly can't get a job but doesn't know why and might spend years straightening it out.

I'm not on Facebook or any of that stuff and see no reason to join in the fray.

I see no real benefit to using a real name and many reasons not to. Verifying that the poster is using a real name and not an alias might take some effort.

Color me - opposed.

#195636 - 02/11/10 03:38 PM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: MartinFocazio]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
A while back a young and unstable fellow showed up here asking for advice on how to survive in the wilds while walking across the country and oh by the way, he was starting out in one week and didn't give a damn about any poaching laws. I and several others tried to convince him of the error of his ways and he didn't take it very kindly. For quite a while afterwards I was recieving threatening e-mails from this clown. Luckily he wasn't smart enough to figure out my real name or he probably could have raised real hell with me, my family and my job.

Martin, you seem to be in a pretty secure spot in your life and with your particular skills and contacts you probably don't worry about someone e-mailing your employer with lies. Many of us (me included) do not have that sort of security in our life. The last thing anyone wants to do is give someone with a chip on their shoulder a lever into their life.

My two cents,
-Blast

Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#195639 - 02/11/10 04:10 PM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: Blast]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

I'd gladly pay $25. per year. I don't, however like the idea of no "handles" or a 200 minimum post requirement. I try not to post unless I have something to share which I believe is useful to others. However, I often sign on to gain/increase my knowledge base. This doesn't make me any less a member or supporter.

#195641 - 02/11/10 04:18 PM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: Blast]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Blast
Luckily he wasn't smart enough to figure out my real name or he probably could have raised real hell with me, my family and my job.

Now THAT is a real testament to his intellect... I have no interest in that sort of thing, but I'm pretty sure I could figure out a lot of those details about Blast PDQ if I wanted to.

Also, your level of security may change. Ever considered that you some day may want to or be forced to change jobs? Pretty standard these days to google for your name and see what pops up before you hire someone. Just to take the standard text book example: Those funny party pictures may not see that funny taken out of context in an report on your possible future employer.

#195642 - 02/11/10 04:26 PM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Ever considered that you some day may want to or be forced to change jobs? Pretty standard these days to google for your name and see what pops up before you hire someone. Just to take the standard text book example: Those funny party pictures may not see that funny taken out of context in an report on your possible future employer.

Yes, every day. The oil business is in the crapper and probably will be for another five years minimum. And that's why I try very hard to keep anything I do online non-scary to current/future employers.

I've had to open up my life some with my edible plant classes and I'm not wild about that.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#195648 - 02/11/10 05:19 PM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: Blast]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
I won't use my full name in an Internet forum, especially not one which broaches some of the subjects on ETS. Perhaps after I'm retired.

Many of the ETS discussions wouldn't be as interesting without the freedom of pseudonyms.

If anyone thinks they need to know someone's name they can PM and ask.

If I ever went to an ETS event, I'd introduce myself there.

BTW, for my purposes I'm not seeing value in the proposed benefits of benefactor status, other than someone's mention of product discounts. I'm not fond of chat rooms.

If income is needed, then perhaps one or more of the forum sections should be closed to non-contributors. That would be an inducement for those interested enough in these subjects to be here -- especially if there were occasional click-through product discounts in the contributor-only section(s).

#195666 - 02/11/10 08:58 PM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Dagny expressed my thoughts. I'll leave the forum before I use my full name here.

#195671 - 02/11/10 09:36 PM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: Russ]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
Here are my points:

1) To me, the premo membership and the marketplaces are wholly separate ideas. Batching them is just unnecessary. There are many people here who are happy to donate. I've done it. Many of you others have too. So, we should not be talking about premium memberships and marketplaces at the same time.

2) The premo membership. The bar cover charge example is not a good parallel. Think of it more like this: I buy a 2 year subscription to a magazine. After a year I write a scathing rebuke to the editors and everyone else who will listen, posting copies publicly online. Now, should I suddenly not get the second year of my subscription? You can't just brush off the fact that someone paid for something and they deserve to get it. You would have to refund them if you wanted your white hat to remain unsullied.

The better option is to say, hey, a premo membership is $X. You are a supporter of the ETS foundation. NOT THE FORUM. If the website goes belly up you get nothing. If you make a fool of yourself on the forum you can't post there anymore... but you are still a premium supporter of the ETS foundation! yes, you lose some perks for your foolishness but you are still a premium supporter. That handily sidesteps the whole issue.

3) the marketplace. I've said in other threads I think its unnecessary. First, you can pay to have a listing in the marketplace forum. I've done it. Why can't you. Reduce the fee if its so onerous to pay $15. If you aren't willing to pay such a small fee, then, maybe you should wait until you have a few more items. Or maybe small items should be saved for local gatherings which have trading blankets. Remember: if its not worth paying a small fee to list it, there is a good chance it won't be worth paying a small fee to ship it either!!!

Summary:
I'm all for a premo membership to SUPPORT the ETS foundation. This doesn't have to be tied to the forum. The forum is just a part of the foundation. And you can be banned from the forum and still be an ETS supporter.

As for the marketplace, I just really don't want to see this place commercialized or turned into a flea market (yes those are two different things). And this is from a guy who sells stuff for a living. I know the pitfalls.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 517 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.