Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#196606 - 02/25/10 04:58 PM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: chaosmagnet]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Since our company was too cheap to provide water or coffee service for the employees, I started a collection and now we have a large bottled water dispenser and a coffee maker that I keep regularly stocked with supplies. I never have less than 5 gallons of bottled water available at one time, and it is in my direct custody, so I control the access.

I also have a locker supplied with snacks (mixed nuts, candy bars, fruit, gum, fiber one bars). I also keep a large supply of ibuprofren, tylenol and aspirin. We have a community refrigerator that I keep at least a one week supply of frozen food in at any given time.

I also have a sewing kit, a flashlight, a multi-tool, a couple of bic lighters, some mini-para cord, a roll of duct tape, and heaps of plastic grocery bags. I also have a stash of TP, hand sanitizer, lotion, carmex lip balm, an umbrella, toothpaste and a toothbrush, allergy medicine, eye drops, and vitamins hidden away in my desk. I add to the stockpile from time to time. The longer I am here, the more I am going to rat-hole off.

#196607 - 02/25/10 05:08 PM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen
Originally Posted By: hikermor

The real problem is that if you evacuate your building because of an earthquake, you are not likely to have time to change shoes, or even necessarily to grab them on your way out.

I'm ignorant of these things, but I've always assumed the worst place to be is outside next to a multi-story office building as the glass windows and facade fall off and shatter on the pavement. In other words, move toward the exit and be ready to go, but don't exit until things quit falling outside or something inside (like a fire) becomes even more threatening than outside

Agreed. I certainly wouldn't stick my neck outside until things had stopped falling, but, even given that, time will often be of the essence. In my work situation, I am often away from my desk, either in our warehouse, or elsewhere within the structure.

We have regular evacuation drills which are quite interesting. Nearly everyone elects to follow the obvious exit, typically the ones in regular use. There are alternate, signed exits which are much less frequented. From what I have seen, I am going to try and use the less obvious exits. The large number of people heading for the doors looks like a breeding ground for panic and trampling if anything goes awry. I dislike being in a crowd.

#196608 - 02/25/10 05:44 PM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: pforeman]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
We have....

400 gallons of drinking water for 64 people (in constant rotation, always fresh)
A fully stocked pantry with a variety of items
Several buckets and plenty of plastic bags
Crank-Up radios (4 of them located in various locations
Flashlights in several locations
Several analog phones
A set of Talkabout waklie talkies
First Aid Kits in the Kitchens on both floors and in the Coat Closet at the reception desk
A general set of tools
12 Booster Battery (Jump-start box) on constant maintenance charge.

And...best of all...this was how the office was set up when I first came to work here!

Our office manager routinely discusses emergency planning with me, and we have an employee training program about what to do in case something goes "boom" around the office.

Given that I work in the city with the record for most completed and attempted terrorist attacks in the USA, that's good.

#196609 - 02/25/10 05:48 PM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: DesertFox]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: DesertFox
My office window overlooks ground zero, so I get a daily reminder to be prepared. I'm within walking distance of home, as long as the bridges over the Hudson aren't the target.

Well, remember the saints at NY Waterway...those people are the unrecognized superheros of NYC emergency services - as long as there's no ice in the Hudson, those folks are going to be there to move NY - remember that airplane that went down in the hudson? NY Waterway was there first. In the Blackout, who was able to move zillions of people out - NY Waterway. On Sept 11th, who moved people out and away from the chaos? NY Waterway. I think about those guys a lot. I could - eventually - find a way home from Weehawken, but that river is fast and wide without a boat of my own!

#196618 - 02/25/10 09:05 PM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: MartinFocazio]
THIRDPIG Offline
Journeyman

A firetruck and 4 big strong guys. The smaller weak ones all work on engines...

I have two lockers. Extra uniforms,sweatshirts,hats,socks, fleece,shaving kit.Extra hardware,lights,knives etc.

These lockers are big enough to hold a coulpe stacked Rubbermade totes. I'm not telling you whats in there.

A bunch of old Playboys some cigars in a humidor and a flask.

#196629 - 02/26/10 12:03 AM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: THIRDPIG]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
I work out of my car, so I always have my GHB with me. I cover five counties so I have water, snacks, an MRE, an Esbit Stove and cook pots, some soups a couple of bottles of water, a poncho, liner, spare socks and a gore tex rainsuit. I also have a couple of different methods of firemaking as well as several dozen bottles of oxygen, regulators, conserving devices and cannulas. I think if my car went off a bridge and underwater I could still be alive a week later, LOL. I deliver Oxygen for a living.

#196641 - 02/26/10 01:50 AM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: THIRDPIG]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: THIRDPIG

A bunch of old Playboys some cigars in a humidor and a flask.

Good job. It is vitally important to maintain morale.

#196647 - 02/26/10 03:01 AM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: DesertFox]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
My car is my office:

Complete set of cold weather clothes including
a military duffel bag
pac boots
balaclava
boonie hat
poncho
orange polar fleece vest
choppers,
lined leather gloves
gauntlet gloves
wool socks
long scarf
snowmobile jacket
watch cap
1 MRE
3 Cliff bars
1 lb granola
plastic utensils
1/2 roll TP
2 bunjies
Two compasses
Two lighters
Binoculars
FAK
large SAK in belt sheath
large serrated folder
stainless steel 1 qt bowl with bail
pliers
Channelocks
screwdrivers
mini screwdriver set
adjustable wrenches
other misc tools
shovel
military wool blanket
two AA flashlights
20 ft bailing wire
duct tape
medium hatchet
small cooler with bail handle
jumper cables
coins of the realm
cell phone and charger
atlas
1 Eagles 'Hell Freezes Over' CD

#196654 - 02/26/10 04:41 AM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr

1 Eagles 'Hell Freezes Over' CD

you need their 'Hotel California' album - "mirrors on the ceiling, pink chanpagne on ice"

No stove?

#196685 - 02/26/10 05:59 PM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: THIRDPIG]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: THIRDPIG
A firetruck and 4 big strong guys. The smaller weak ones all work on engines...

Whats the matter? You can't handle rolling 5" hose or dragging a charged handline up 4 flights? smile

Truckies. Breaking and entering. Thugs with scott packs!

(Said with a smile)

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.