The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#196588 - 02/25/10 12:55 PM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: DesertFox]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
Although its not at the office, I alwaya have on me, My PSP Kit A small FAK (thanks ParamedicPete for the medic bag!!) I am time constrainted so i will add a list of FAK items later, but,
1. p-38
2. Cabelas mini multitool
3. Laser & L.E.D. combo from WM
4. SAK tinker (not in school though!)
5. NATO SOLAS whistle -orange.

Got to go for now, will continue later. Tell me if I need to add anything, or remove anything, or replace it with something else. SOG multitool On sale at LOWES for $50 too, I want it, take a look!

#196589 - 02/25/10 01:18 PM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: sybert777]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I keep my preparedness stuff (except for some powerbars) in the trunk of my car. I don't get here without a vehicle.

Company supplies tap water, toilet paper, highly variable heat and somewhat more reliable light (though I still carry a microlite on my badge lanyard since the place is windowless and when the power goes out the emergency lighting can take quite awhile to show up).

#196590 - 02/25/10 01:23 PM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: sybert777]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I have an assortment of stuff in my car, my lunch bag, and my office.

I never really thought much about the water issue. We are on a well here, so the pressure tank provides some backup water in case of power loss. There is also the small hot water heater. I bring 2 liters of iced tea and a liter of water with me in my lunch bag every day.

AFAIK, the only emergency food and drink supplies would be the candy and pop machines. We also have a pop cooler with an assortment of various drinks and juices in it. I rarely buy anything from either the cooler or the pop machine. At $1.25 a bottle, I would just as soon bring iced tea which I prefer anyway.

The company has an assortment of OTC meds and first aid items in the office area, and a home made but pretty well stocked FAK out in the shop. Supposedly several employees were going to be trained in first aid and CPR but I don't know if it ever happened or not.

The most likely events here would be tornado, blizzard, or ice storm. I am only about 8 miles from home here so chances are if the weather was going to turn really bad, I would just go home before it hit, of course I would not get that option with a tornado.

I had not given a whole lot of thought to having to walk home. I wear walking shoes most of the time, but its possible the weather might make them inappropriate (rain, snow or cold). I do have a pair of steel toed boots in the car I wear now and then. They are reasonably decent winter boots, but pretty heavy to do much walking in.

Bob

#196596 - 02/25/10 02:15 PM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: ILBob]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
2 .7L bottles of water
Flashlight
Bandaids
Hand Sanitizer
Aspirin
Maalox chewables

My EDC bag includes a pocket FAK, multitool, lights, etc.

I have a GHB in the trunk of my car with water, emergency food, etc. There's also a more complete FAK in the car.

But I recently moved to about a mile from work (I was 13 miles away before) and plan to walk in good weather, so I need to rethink the work supplies for when my car's at home.

#196598 - 02/25/10 02:35 PM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen

That seems like a very strange suggestion to me: I'd assume one is more likely to crossing glass-strewn streets and sidewalks and that something tougher than "running shoes" is indicated.

Running shoes would be a big step up from the standard dress shoe and would provide good traction and footing. The ideal apres quake footgear would be a pair of well broken in, hightop leather boots with lugged soles and leather laces - basically what is sold for wildland fire fighting. Most folks are more likely to have running shoes.

I notice that nowadays a lot of folks take walking and exercise breaks and are likely to have running shoes handy. The real problem is that if you evacuate your building because of an earthquake, you are not likely to have time to change shoes, or even necessarily to grab them on your way out.

I have tried, unsuccessfully, to find a very fine series of posts by Schwert on this very topic some years ago (I am a search Neanderthal). He had very thoughtfully considered the specifics of getting home in his situation and had assembled a very decent, compact kit. His work is well worth reading.

#196599 - 02/25/10 03:31 PM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: hikermor]
nurit Offline

Loc: NYC
"I have tried, unsuccessfully, to find a very fine series of posts by Schwert on this very topic some years ago (I am a search Neanderthal). He had very thoughtfully considered the specifics of getting home in his situation and had assembled a very decent, compact kit. His work is well worth reading."

Hikermor, are you perhaps thinking of Schwert's articles entitled "Urban Preparation Kits," that were originally published in Outdoors Magazine?

A Google search turned up archived versions here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/17338131/Urban-Preparation-Kit-Part-I-On

http://www.canadianwildernesssurvival.com/Pdf%20Articles/Urban-Preparation-Kit-Part-II.pdf

#196600 - 02/25/10 03:41 PM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: nurit]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Bingo!

#196601 - 02/25/10 03:49 PM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: hikermor]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: hikermor

The real problem is that if you evacuate your building because of an earthquake, you are not likely to have time to change shoes, or even necessarily to grab them on your way out.

I'm ignorant of these things, but I've always assumed the worst place to be is outside next to a multi-story office building as the glass windows and facade fall off and shatter on the pavement. In other words, move toward the exit and be ready to go, but don't exit until things quit falling outside or something inside (like a fire) becomes even more threatening than outside.

Part of my advice will be to keep it all in a small/mini backpack since she might need to hike a few miles to get to an open road, to keep the kit together, and for a quick grab & go.

#196603 - 02/25/10 04:09 PM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
It's not my office so anything of mine there is in my EDC backpack. For those of us who park in the open, we really just need to get to the kits in our vehicles. That's where I keep the change of clothes, shoes, 96 hr kit, FAK and water.

Once back at the truck I listen to local radio and make a determination about driving home, driving to a friends home, staying in place or walking (~25 miles).

#196605 - 02/25/10 04:24 PM Re: What do you keep at the office? [Re: Russ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
My office has a "hoteling" policy for desks, so I have no permanent presence there. I've got my on-person EDC, my laptop bag EDC, and the BOB and spare clothes I keep in the car. While that's not my very favorite policy, I'm not in the office all that often anyway.

Right now I'm at a customer site almost 50 miles from home and it's cold. Assuming I could get to my car I'm entirely confident that I'd be equipped to hoof it home...but it sure would take a while.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 286 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.