Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#195862 - 02/14/10 04:32 PM Re: "Preparedness doesn't sell." [Re: hikermor]
Yoda117 Offline
Stranger

Sorry to do this wih my first post, but the reaction is the same as encountered in most security circles (particularly within information security). Since it doesn't directly contribute totheir bottom lines, it's not seen as being important.

Since the radio station appeals to the "green" crowd, the info regarding edible plants will sell, and they know that. The rest of the stuff doesn't have as large of an audience, so it's not as interesting to them.

Bruce Schneiner has a great term for this. Risk threshold.

If someone's risk threshold is more tolerant of being stuck without power for a few days, then they're not going to care about emergency preparedness. It doesn't affect their world view. However, someone for whom the possibility of losing basic services does affect their view will be more apt to take action to reduce their susceptiblity to such an event.

It sucks, but that's how it works, so you need to find and tap I to that risk threshold in order to get their attention, then to show them how whatever it is that you're doing will help to mitigate the threat.

#195974 - 02/16/10 05:35 PM Re: "Preparedness doesn't sell." [Re: NightHiker]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
It's all about marketing,

There's an audience that will naturally gravitate toward your product and they're the ones who will find it no matter how well it's hidden.

Then there's the others who don't realize they need it, in order to bring it to their attention you may have to spin it so that they find it appealing/intriguing.

Terrifyingly true. Marketing has convinced lots of folks that planned obsolescence is a good thing, that bottled water is a sensible purchase, and, perhaps, that some nalgene bottles are poisonous, and that medicines and sterile supplies lose potency and sterility over time. Governments market fear to their citizens to keep them loyal, big pharma markets drugs to consumers rather than to the doctors who prescribe them; If Blast and DR were less scrupulous, they could choose to market their products in ways that pander to the popular taste, and acquire a much larger audience. That they do not choose to do so is a tribute to their integrity.

#196107 - 02/18/10 09:39 PM Re: "Preparedness doesn't sell." [Re: nursemike]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
My first post.

I think she is mostly just wrong. The current economic, military, terrorist and political situation seems to have led a lot of people who would otherwise not care all that much into at least thinking about raising their level of preparedness.

It was not all that long ago it was difficult to buy a firearm just because everyone wanted one. Ammo is still in short supply, and the sales of other preparedness supplies from knives to camping gear to MREs are above recent historical levels. Its not because a lot of people suddenly decided to go camping instead of to Disney World, although no doubt the situation the world is in probably has curtailed some Disney trips.

The situation is unsettling and at least some people decided to take at least some steps to protect themselves.

Bob

#196140 - 02/19/10 06:21 AM Re: "Preparedness doesn't sell." [Re: NightHiker]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Hello, Bob!

Yes, the very same thought occurred to me. I think there are more people interested than she thinks, and I think she's letting her own personal feelings/fears color her decision.

Blast knows what he's talking about.

Sue

#196283 - 02/21/10 04:41 PM Re: "Preparedness doesn't sell." [Re: clarktx]
texican Offline
Stranger

Loc: Texas
So long as the roads leading north, east, and west, out of the Houston Metroplex area are still standing, who need's preparedness??? (Being facetious) I think quite a few folks realize the earliest birds to leave might actually make it out of town. Have some friends and relatives that turned around and went home, during Hurricane Rita... as the freeways were unnavigable.

Actually I think quite a few Houstonians would be interested... unfortunately, it might be hard connecting up the folks that 'would' be interested.

#196348 - 02/22/10 03:19 PM Re: "Preparedness doesn't sell." [Re: texican]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Welcome to the fire, Texican!

During Saturday's wild edibles class I mentioned my upcoming practical preparedness class...and then spent the next half hour answering student's questions about that rather than edible plants! Most of them said they'd be interested in taking it, though we'll see how many actually sign up.

People are losing their blinders and there's a lot of fear out there...which hopefully I can tap into for fame and fortune! whistle

Which leads to another post...
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#196453 - 02/23/10 08:03 PM Re: "Preparedness doesn't sell." [Re: Blast]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
I'm really happy to hear the "end result" about how the people actually DID want to hear about it, and that the "gatekeeper of the information Mrs. radio lady" was completely wrong.

We see this again and again, where the "gatekeepers of information" choose unwisely mad

Thanks for the update on that. It made me feel very smug smile not that thats a good thing, but I think most of you know what I mean!

#197267 - 03/05/10 02:46 AM Re: "Preparedness doesn't sell." [Re: clarktx]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
So it is appearing the lady was right. At this point only one person has registered for the class and this is after Houston REI stores also started promoting it.

I'm seriously considering stopping knocking myself out preparing for this class and have some fun instead...or at least get some sleep. Three hours of shut-eye a night just isn't cutting it anymore.
frown frown frown
-Blast, worn out and frustrated
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#197282 - 03/05/10 05:25 AM Re: "Preparedness doesn't sell." [Re: Blast]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
There's a chance that it's a matter of timing. What with the Haitian quake, the Chilean quake, and all the snow or rain that most of the U.S. has received lately, maybe people are just 'disastered out' for a while.

Sue

#197308 - 03/05/10 03:21 PM Re: "Preparedness doesn't sell." [Re: Susan]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I enjoy REI classes. I tend to hit one a month or so. Depends on how many they recycle.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.