Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#196350 - 02/22/10 03:33 PM I turned down The Colony yesterday.
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
It's been an interesting weekend at the Blasthold. Along with me and the DW celebrating our 12th wedding anniversary, I spent a bunch of time talking with the producers of "The Colony". One of my students will probably be on it and she told the producers about me. The producers looked up my blogs, forums posts, and a few other projects that I'm involved in then asked if I wanted to be on the show.

Unfortunately, I'd have to leave work for ten weeks (not to mention be shut away from my family) and the $8k-10k they'd pay me wouldn't replace my lost job. I guess that's why all the scientists and engineers on these shows are retired.

Alas, turning fear and dread into fame and fortune is difficult.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#196351 - 02/22/10 03:38 PM Re: I turned down The Colony yesterday. [Re: Blast]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
It would have been wild to see you on there, but the commitment they're asking for is pretty ridiculous. The 10 weeks is rarely ever ten weeks. There is sometimes a commitment to do interviews and advertisements beyond the scheduled shoot.

This type of thing seems to come up from time to time. I think I remember something about a wildlife show as well. Is doing a show something you're interested in?

#196352 - 02/22/10 03:55 PM Re: I turned down The Colony yesterday. [Re: Nicodemus]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
... not to mention that the fame and fortune would most probably lead to drug-use and a series of affairs that would likely destroy your marriage, followed by a long series of low-budget reality TV shows.

That is why I choose to stay here in my debris hut where it is safe. I'm almost done with my manifesto!

#196360 - 02/22/10 05:14 PM Re: I turned down The Colony yesterday. [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I'd have offered to go in your place. But alas, methinks my attitude about defense would preclude me from prime time. Too many dead "would be" invaders on the set tends to spoil the scenario I reckon.

For similar reasons I can't do the "Survivor" series. They'd find us at the beginning of day two with all the other competitors' throats cut while they slept. "Hey, no one else left, I win, right?"

#196364 - 02/22/10 05:43 PM Re: I turned down The Colony yesterday. [Re: benjammin]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Ben and Blast are fundamentally scientists: they believe that there is objective truth, and that it is discovered by the scientific method, empiric observation of the world. They are in this respect different from those who are fundamentally lawyers, who believe that truth is subjective, and is best discovered by the dialectic method, through debate between advocates of different aspects of the truth, adjudicated by an impartial authority.

Which is why we love Blast and Benjammin, and rely upon their wisdom.

The upside of taking a leave of absence from work and participating in a network show would be the potential for moving blogging the borderlands and ETS further on to the national stage, and thereby increasing the readership and economic viability of both websites. Perhaps a spinoff show, or Blast on Oprah, Leno, and Meet the Press, maybe a Blast action figure.

Too awful to contemplate. I support your decision to forego this honor.

The downside would involve Blast having to deal with countless clones of the Pacifica Network lady, and the damage that would result.

Even if it did result in a career change offer for Blast, the new career would probably not include performing experiments so dangerous that they have to be encased in concrete: he would miss it too much.

Edited by nursemike (02/22/10 05:52 PM)

#196367 - 02/22/10 06:26 PM Re: I turned down The Colony yesterday. [Re: nursemike]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Congratulations on your anniversary, I forgot we were married on almost the same day (but not to each other).

If they would settle for a engineer with an "intuitive grasp of all things electrical and mechanical - and utter lack of social skills" just let me know.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#196371 - 02/22/10 07:31 PM Re: I turned down The Colony yesterday. [Re: Blast]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
8 to 10 K is appallingly low.

Series talent for successful shows can expect 10-40K a WEEK.

Even shows with less than fantastic ratings can pull 5K a week. They don't deserve good talent if they are that cheap.

#196373 - 02/22/10 07:45 PM Re: I turned down The Colony yesterday. [Re: MartinFocazio]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Not low at all for a reality show, the "talent" is non-union and if I'm not mistaken isn't there also a prize given at the end of the show?

$1000 a week with some potential upside. That's not a bad wage given that all of your expenses would also be covered.

How much do you think the contestants on American Idol are making?

Or the fishing crews on Dangerous Catch?

There's talent, and there's reality television, not even in the same ball park money-wise. That goes for crew pay too, I've worked on reality television shows, the pay sucks as do most of the shows.

JohnE

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#196385 - 02/22/10 09:37 PM Re: I turned down The Colony yesterday. [Re: nursemike]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: nursemike
Ben and Blast are fundamentally scientists: they believe that there is objective truth, and that it is discovered by the scientific method, empiric observation of the world. They are in this respect different from those who are fundamentally lawyers, who believe that truth is subjective, and is best discovered by the dialectic method, through debate between advocates of different aspects of the truth, adjudicated by an impartial authority.

Which is why we love Blast and Benjammin, and rely upon their wisdom.

The upside of taking a leave of absence from work and participating in a network show would be the potential for moving blogging the borderlands and ETS further on to the national stage, and thereby increasing the readership and economic viability of both websites. Perhaps a spinoff show, or Blast on Oprah, Leno, and Meet the Press, maybe a Blast action figure.

Too awful to contemplate. I support your decision to forego this honor.

The downside would involve Blast having to deal with countless clones of the Pacifica Network lady, and the damage that would result.

Even if it did result in a career change offer for Blast, the new career would probably not include performing experiments so dangerous that they have to be encased in concrete: he would miss it too much.

You never know, Blast could get his own show and then debunk everything Bear Grylls does, with his own flare of course.

#196388 - 02/22/10 10:02 PM Re: I turned down The Colony yesterday. [Re: barbakane]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
You never know, Blast could get his own show and then debunk everything Bear Grylls does, with his own flare of course.

I could do that. I have LOTS of flares.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.