The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#196255 - 02/21/10 01:18 AM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: Lqdtrance]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
Rather then spend a lot of money, why not get the mora craftline which is in the "marketplace" on this site, and purchased through amazon. It's about $15, so you can't go wrong. I did a review of it on the amazon site, comparing it to a couple of other similarly sized knives which I also own.

Unless you truly need a "survival" knife, some of the other knives you mentioned - the beckers - are pretty heavy to be carrying while hiking.

A last thought - look at the short kabars, priced around $45 if you want a bigger, heftier knife without a big outlay.

Where in the Adirondacks are you? I am 35 miles north of Manhattan.

#196264 - 02/21/10 03:40 AM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: tomfaranda]
Lqdtrance Offline
Stranger

Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY
Lake George area, the lower Adirondacks.

#196268 - 02/21/10 04:41 AM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: Lqdtrance]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Full tang is great, but a pommel might just add weight and conceal the fact that the tang is of the weaker 'rat tail' construction. Most are no good for pounding. Ontario Cutlery offers some nice USA-made knives in your price range. Take a look at the RAT-3. Don't rule out the Buck brand either, maybe the big 119 Special for about $50, or it's little brother the 105 Pathfinder. You get a lot of blade for the money, but I wouldn't hammer on anything with the pommel.

#196275 - 02/21/10 01:14 PM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Lqdtrance Offline
Stranger

Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY
Thank you for all the info and suggestions. It is still a hard decision. I think it will be easier to see what I want if I can get my hands on a few and see for myself. I guess a trip to some knife shops are in order.

#196276 - 02/21/10 01:26 PM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have used a 105 for many years, at least on those fairly rare situations where I really needed a large blade. When I needed to hammer on something, I picked up a handy rock and used that, a lot safer and more effective than any knife pommel.

#196285 - 02/21/10 05:14 PM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: hikermor]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
Walmart sells the buck 119 for about $40.

Lake George area ehh? I stayed with family at Rogers Rock a few years ago on way to Vt and NH.

A beautiful area of the Arirondacks.

#196286 - 02/21/10 05:36 PM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: hikermor]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
For a multi-day outing, the principal blade I'd be inclined to take is my Gransfors Bruks Mini-Belt Axe. Also the Ritter Mk-1 mini (3 oz). A Ritter Mk-5 (1 oz) would also be along (that blade goes with me to the grocery - it's in my wallet).

Upon the recommendations on this forum, I've also acquired a number of the Mora knives. They are light and you're getting a fair amount of decent steel for the money. I keep a couple of the stainless steel in my car.

For any day hike, near to the city or further out, I have a Ritter Mk-1 with me.

From the Gransfors Bruks website, on the Mini-Belt Axe:

It is hand forged of high carbon Swedish steel and tempered at the bit to a hardness of 57 Rockwell C.

This little hatchet has a 2½ inches cut-ting edge, a 10 inches hickory handle and weighs only about 12 oz. The hatchet comes with a grain-leather sheath.

#196289 - 02/21/10 06:23 PM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: Dagny]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
I have owned a Buck 119 for 12 years. The kife originally cost ~ $30.00 and dollar for dollar has since proved as one of the best knife purchases I have ever made. I have used this knife extensively and is holding up well. The only change I have ever made to the knife was to wrap some black cloth (hockey) tape around the handle as it is bit too smooth when wet and hard to keep a grip when the hands are cold.

THe Mora Scout 440 is also a good knife for those who are looking for something a bit smaller and lighter.

John Lubbock

#196290 - 02/21/10 07:06 PM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: Teslinhiker]
Hanscom Offline
Journeyman

Benchmade has changed the steel in the Rant fixed blade to D2. List is $85, available online for $70-75. The previous version in 440C (still a pretty good steel) is still available online for ~$50.

4.5 inch blade, 0.165 thick (about 1 MM thicker than the Ritter Mk3 ((0.140))). Drop point--my favorite--or Bowie style clip point.

The handle on the Rant is overmolded and I don't know how much tang there is. Does anyone know?

#196292 - 02/21/10 08:32 PM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: Hanscom]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
What tasks is a knife likely to be needed to perform?

I understand some might need to dress an elk, but I'm not a hunter and if I was lost in the wilderness I probably wouldn't have a gun to shoot one to dress. Any of my knives could gut a stream fish.

I got the knife bug a couple years ago (in no small part because of ETS -- cha-ching!$!$!) so now have most of the Ritter stable (Mk-1, mini, 3, 4 and 5), a few Bark River and some other folders.

It's the "other folders" that I rely on during car camping where the major knife tasks are cutting tent rope and opening firewood bags.

The Barkies have very thick blades. The Ritters less so. The Moras even less. All are sharp as heck. As I consider which to carry, when and where, I ask myself what I expect to need them to do?

I've recently been focusing more on axes. All Gransfors Bruks. Most recently the Splitting Maul and a splitting wedge. Of course, those won't be in the backpack.

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.