Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 9 of 12 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#196469 - 02/24/10 02:50 AM Re: Longterm trend -inflation [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
The "golden hordes" (Rawles) that you are referring to are certainly a consideration... I did get kinda thrown because you really digressed a lot into how "people ain't what they was". But now i think what you mean is that you don't want to be in the path of the golden hordes. Certainly that can be a part of it depending on the situation.

However, the golden hordes are more a factor when a single large event happens. I was saying that I think a "nonevent" is more likely, probably in the form of a very long recession, which wouldn't create the same kinda golden hordes that you would see from an "event".

In the event of a 15 year recession, you want to have a place that can sustain you as much as possible, maybe a farm like Russ is saying.

It really all depends on what you feel is "the most likely". A lot of popular survival fiction goes into the whole cannibalism stuff. I'm afraid what we'll be dealing with will be a lot less interesting than that...

#196486 - 02/24/10 02:28 PM Re: Longterm trend -inflation [Re: clarktx]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
This brings up another stress related question. In an event, you would expect self termination to be common. I wonder, if the stress of a 15 year gradual recession is enough to acutely raise the suicide rate, or if people can learn to live with less and adapt to a different MO.

#196487 - 02/24/10 02:41 PM Re: Longterm trend -inflation [Re: benjammin]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Ignore the Illusion of Spring is an interesting read. This guy is "a deflationist".
Quote:
. . .Taking the debt out of the system is in itself a deflation process. You can see it in falling housing prices. As debt comes out of the housing and mortgage markets, it deflates prices. We're going to see the same in stock prices. Wealth is being reduced considerably, and that is deflationary.

A lot of people who argue for inflation say that all the money being printed eventually has to go through the banks back into the economy. But it's like being on a treadmill. You running as fast as the treadmill goes, but you don't get anywhere. The Federal Reserve is printing copious amounts of money trying to re-start the economy. Unfortunately, the rate of debt being taken out of the system eventually will overwhelm their ability to do that.. . .
We'll see. He may be right in that initially we will have a period of deflation, but later inflation has got to step up.

Just my $.02, $.03, $.04. . .$2 wink

#196494 - 02/24/10 04:08 PM Re: Longterm trend -inflation [Re: benjammin]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: benjammin
This brings up another stress related question. In an event, you would expect self termination to be common. I wonder, if the stress of a 15 year gradual recession is enough to acutely raise the suicide rate, or if people can learn to live with less and adapt to a different MO.

I believe it did in Japan, though there are also cultural reasons for that.

fake edit: according to Wikipedia the Japanese economy has lead to a huge number of suicides.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#196577 - 02/25/10 04:43 AM Re: Longterm trend -inflation [Re: Blast]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

An interesting take on deficits, market capacity, and how things interact.

http://www.truthout.org/the-budget-deficit-crisis-crisis56749

#196592 - 02/25/10 02:01 PM Re: Longterm trend -inflation [Re: Art_in_FL]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Well, I for one am looking forward to the day when Keynesianism takes its rightful place on the ash-heap of history right on top of Collectivism and Feng Shui.

As the article points out, the left thinks the stimulus was too small and the right thinks it was too big. Please note that no one thinks the goverment got it right!

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#196597 - 02/25/10 02:34 PM Re: Longterm trend -inflation [Re: thseng]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
As I see it the bail-outs have prevented the capitulation that is needed before the economy can really rebound. Wall Street's bad moves were rewarded with major government bail-outs, so they are doing the same thing over again. That's what happens when you reward bad behavior. (When your new puppy chews your shoes do you say "good boy" and give him a treat? Only if you like going barefoot.) Companies and institutions that should have gone bankrupt were instead propped up on the taxpayer's dime. At this rate we'll all be barefoot soon.

Word I have (third hand -- RE broker > investment broker > me) is that within a couple months we'll see commercial real-estate take a major hit and then look for a follow-on residential crunch -- apparently bills are coming due. Everyone looked at their calendars and expected it to be over by now; it's not over.

#196642 - 02/26/10 01:51 AM Re: Longterm trend -inflation [Re: Russ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"...I for one am looking forward to the day when Keynesianism takes its rightful place on the ash-heap of history..."

AMEN!

"Wall Street's bad moves were rewarded with major government bail-outs, so they are doing the same thing over again... Companies and institutions that should have gone bankrupt were instead propped up on the taxpayer's dime."

Their attitude was (and still is) that if someone has to pay, it would either be Wall Street and the Banking industry, or all us little people. The decision was made.

And NO, it's NOT over.

Sue

#196649 - 02/26/10 03:11 AM Re: Longterm trend -inflation [Re: Susan]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
It seems so strange to me. We are quite clearly being betrayed by elected officials, banks, and, god help us, toyota. We are a prodigiously well-armed populace, well-informed, with communication capabilities that previous generations could not imagine. Where is the populist revolt? Why aren't we seeing a replay of the french revolution?

#196650 - 02/26/10 03:23 AM Re: Longterm trend -inflation [Re: thseng]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: thseng
Well, I for one am looking forward to the day when Keynesianism takes its rightful place on the ash-heap of history right on top of Collectivism and Feng Shui.

As the article points out, the left thinks the stimulus was too small and the right thinks it was too big. Please note that no one thinks the goverment got it right!

Alas, I fear that won't happen as long as progressive/liberal types believe that as 'post modern' humans one evolutionary rung above us God fearing, gun toting, mud sloggers, they are duty bound to protect us from our base instincts and impulses.

Page 9 of 12 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.