The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#196171 - 02/19/10 05:00 PM Re: A good day [Re: hikermor]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
It was unusual, but net net she wasn't going to die from some compressions, even if I had given it everything I had. I figure she did what she did - what if I had overestimated m'y wife's breathing or color, she would be without oxygen that much longer? The 911 operator is on the phone 7 miles away, better to get my wife to the floor etc.

It's interesting to think, nothing I did helped to save my wife's life in anyway, short of dialling 911. Either way, may the gods bless the 911 system too - when things calm down a little, they get a fruit basket or something in thanks as well.

#196173 - 02/19/10 05:19 PM Re: A good day [Re: Lono]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
I've been there, with my first child at the age of 6 months(She's 11 now). When it really counts, Training DOES kick in. We had just recertified for CPR at my Firehouse 2 nights before I had to act. I hope she's ok.
Good Job.
Matthew

Edited by Matt26 (02/19/10 05:20 PM)

#196175 - 02/19/10 05:44 PM Re: A good day [Re: Matt26]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
How scary, Lono! Kudos to you for being relatively calm and effective in such a stressful situation. Best wishes to you and your wife as you proceed with a diagnosis.

My sister gave her husband a terrible scare a few years ago when, in the middle of the night, she had a seizure resulting in hospitalization.

The doctors traced her seizure back to a terrible traffic accident she'd suffered twenty years prior that resulted in head injuries and a broken neck.

Apparently it's not uncommon for a head injury -- auto, sports-related or whatever -- to spur seizures more than a decade later. The docs speculated that my sister's head injury history (which left calcium deposits on her brain), fatigue, Sudafed and a prescription medication combined to trigger her first seizure. She subsequently had a couple more seizures and is now on anti-seizure medication and has not had another recurrence.

Again, my regards to both of you.

#196176 - 02/19/10 06:04 PM Re: A good day [Re: Dagny]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
Lono,

Best wishes to you and your wife. My son had a seizure a few months back that led the babysitter to believe he was not breathing (I wrote about it on here as well) and it was one of the most terrifying experiences I have been through.

It sounds like you kept your head and were able to put aside your fear and emotions and do what needed to be done, so good job.

I agree, however, that it might be worthwhile to follow-up on why the dispatcher insisted you start compressions. My only thought is that if you mentioned on the phone that you had done a finger sweeep, perhaps the dispatcher latched onto an unconcious/airway obstruction protocol, which might indeed call for immediate compressions.

And don't discount the role you played. You recognized that there was a problem, called for help, and managed the situation until help arrived. I'm sure your wife is very appreciative of your efforts!

Again, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Jesselp

#196195 - 02/20/10 02:28 AM Re: A good day [Re: hikermor]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
911 operators aren't paramedics. They also don't know what you know (or don't) and they can't see what is going on. They are used to dealing with the lowest denominator. I would assume they operate like the Pakistani computer 'techs' you get on the phone: type in problem, speak protocol.

I was with a couple when she went into a grand mal epileptic seizure. Her husband whipped out his handkerchief, folded it a bit more than it was, and wedged a corner of it between her back teeth on one side. He said she had bitten her tongue very badly during one seizure. I had heard this before -- is it still a good idea?

Lono, from something I saw several times as a vet tech, your light compressions may have had an effect. Once in a while we would get a dog or cat that would kind of 'forget' to breathe while under anesthesia. Unless they were less tolerant of the drug, it wasn't likely that they were given too much (my vet was extremely careful about that). I would be monitoring the animal while the doctor was doing the surgery, and I would warn him that it had stopped breathing. He would stop as quickly as he could (clamp if necessary, then raise his hands), and I would give the dog or cat just one or two compressions of the rib cage, and they would start breathing normally again. This may have been what you did, just a kind of reminder?

Sue

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.