Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#196152 - 02/19/10 02:36 PM FAKs and day hikes, (bloody pictures!)
Skimo Offline

Loc: Tinker AFB Oklahoma, USA
Ok, I'm one step closer to being less stupid.

First, the PICS! laugh

After sharpening and checking the edge of my RAT 7 (no affiliation or promotion, just the knife that I was sharpening)

I went to sheath it, took my eyes off of it for a split second and got the freshly sharpened needle tip of the blade to the bone.

I haven't carried FAKs on day hikes due to the "It can't happen to me" mentality, or some leftover Superman mentality.

What I realized is deep wounds need sterilization much more than light nicks. I've updated my pack with 4x4 sterile gauze, anti-bacterial goop, and a roll of breathable sticky bandage.

I may add medical grade super glue, I haven't decided yet.
Kniferights charter member #606 - how about you

#196155 - 02/19/10 02:51 PM Re: FAKs and day hikes, (bloody pictures!) [Re: Skimo]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Unless you can find a first aid protocol that actually recommends super glue, I would say no thanks to that item.

It doesn't look like you were bleeding very profusely (easy for me to say!). I sometimes let those kind bleed just a bit before applying a dressing, in the hope that anything bad carried into the wound will be flushed out (only when the bleeding is light!)

Fact is, you can never tell when FAKs will be needed.

#196164 - 02/19/10 04:05 PM Re: FAKs and day hikes, (bloody pictures!) [Re: hikermor]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Unless you can find a first aid protocol that actually recommends super glue, I would say no thanks to that item.

+1. Looks like a steri-strip would deal with that just fine.

My understanding with the super glue is that if you don't clean the wound well enough, you risk closing it permanently with the debris/contamination inside.

You never know when you or someone else is going to get hurt which is why I keep a kit in my EDC bag as well as the car, as well as the garage, as well as one on each floor in the house.

-john

#196165 - 02/19/10 04:22 PM Re: FAKs and day hikes, (bloody pictures!) [Re: JohnN]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Just make sure your tetanus shot is up to date!

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#196167 - 02/19/10 04:31 PM Re: FAKs and day hikes, (bloody pictures!) [Re: thseng]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Tetanus shots protect against infection and foreign bodies?

-john

#196169 - 02/19/10 04:51 PM Re: FAKs and day hikes, (bloody pictures!) [Re: JohnN]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: JohnN

Tetanus shots protect against infection and foreign bodies?

Ok, perhaps I was unclear:
Just Please make sure your tetanus shot is up to date!

Better?

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#196172 - 02/19/10 05:07 PM Re: FAKs and day hikes, (bloody pictures!) [Re: thseng]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Gotcha. :-)

-john

#196174 - 02/19/10 05:35 PM Re: FAKs and day hikes, (bloody pictures!) [Re: JohnN]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Ouch! I was looking at a Bark River knife once and the slightest touch resulted in a bleeder.

We're dogscootering tomorrow, with your cautionary note in mind I'm going to throw in my handlebar bag a mini-FAK that's usually in my daypack.

I hope your wound heals quickly.

#196184 - 02/19/10 09:50 PM Re: FAKs and day hikes, (bloody pictures!) [Re: Dagny]
Skimo Offline

Loc: Tinker AFB Oklahoma, USA
Oh, it bled very well, I knelt in front of the sink to get my hand up, ran cold water over it for about 5 minutes until the water wasn't coming out pink, tip went to the bone.

I got a good look inside the wound several hours later, today while picking up litter on a trail I walk it opened up again, had blood dripping from the bandage in seconds.

I would separate it to try to get a shot of how deep it is, but it'll fill with blood to quickly.

For me it was just more of a wake up call, had the knife slipped instead of stopping at the bone the cut would have been much larger.
Kniferights charter member #606 - how about you

#196185 - 02/19/10 11:00 PM Re: FAKs and day hikes, (bloody pictures!) [Re: Skimo]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Two hands when sheathing the knife?

I make a habit to use one, and look to prevent what you did. The second hand holding the sheath is an EASY target for what you did, or slicing the palm if the blade goes off. W/no hand there it wouldn't hit anything except slide on your leg (unless you were 'stabbing' it in hard which it could then stab your leg).

Angle tip toward sheath, find opening, slide in. Single handed, and if you miss nothing gets cut.

BTW. I have the same knife, and they are awesome. I think the RAT-7 is my favorite. The grip for me is AWESOME, and great balance. What steel do you have 1095 or D2?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.