Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#195771 - 02/12/10 05:39 PM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: Eugene]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Correction:

It was 100 years ago Feb 8th (1909) that William D. Boyce founded Boy Scouting in the United States.

Boy Scouts was actually founded three years earlier (1907) in England by Lord Baden-Powell.

#195774 - 02/12/10 06:36 PM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Use 7261 for a bandana: Tying the legs of a ladder together so that it doesn't trap your fingers when your carrying it. grin

On a more serious note: It's probably one of the most useful items you can and should E.D.C.

550 cord.
Electricians tape.
Duct tape.
Swiss army knife (with saw).
Multi-tool.
L.E.D. torch.
Disposable lighter.
Cell phone.
Bandana.

Zip ties, paper clips, a couple of nails, bolts, and wire can also be quite useful.

#195780 - 02/12/10 08:44 PM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Leigh, somehow I knew a discussion on bandanas would lead to EDC. But IMHO and FWIW I think you are correct.

#195791 - 02/12/10 11:55 PM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: Mark_F]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
I carry a bandana everywhere, it can go on an airplane where my Swiss army knife has to ride in the baggage compartment. A clever person knows how to make a bandana do nefarious things, should the situation dictate.
I think every gentleman should carry one so that he can offer it up to a young lady in need of drying her tears, it can be spread out to allow the young damsel to sit upon a soiled surface and naturally it can be used as a head scarf or even a makeshift container should a young ladies strand of pearls break....

#195805 - 02/13/10 02:56 AM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: Tarzan]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
My grandfather carried a "hankey" for all of his adult life. When did it become acceptable to not? Either a bandanna, handkerchief, or a some other form. They were once a part of getting dressed, for men and women alike. Did disposable tissues sign the death warrant for re-usable bandanna?

Edit: looking for other names for the venerable handkerchief I searched Google for "handkerchief" Wikipedia has some funny ideas about "handkerchief code." Was very shocking, but I think that it warrants mention, apparently a red bandanna hanging out of my back left pocket (like my grandfather) means something to some people. confused I do not think that it is really relevant, but thought I should give a heads up.

Edited by EchoingLaugh (02/13/10 03:07 AM)
Edit Reason: addition
I have an extra.

#195812 - 02/13/10 03:53 AM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: EchoingLaugh]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: EchoingLaugh

Edit: looking for other names for the venerable handkerchief I searched Google for "handkerchief" Wikipedia has some funny ideas about "handkerchief code." Was very shocking, but I think that it warrants mention, apparently a red bandanna hanging out of my back left pocket (like my grandfather) means something to some people. confused I do not think that it is really relevant, but thought I should give a heads up.

Bandanna presence and color can have meaning in some areas. In the violent gang culture and Crips/Bloods/other gang war of the 80s showing the wrong color bandanna could get you hurt. I don't think you can avoid all of it but it pays to be aware and select colors that don't put you at additional risk. It also pays to stay sharp and observe your surroundings. If everyone in an area is wearing a particular color you should find out why. It is also not necessarily safer to copy what you see. Gang colors can show affiliation and also membership. Wearing something that shows you to be a member if your not can cause conflict.

Likewise bandannas worn on way or another, often one side versus another, is a common way of showing sexual orientation or preference. It likely won't lead to immediate violence, assuming you handle it gracefully, but unwelcome advances can be uncomfortable and can escalate into conflicts that are better avoided.

The lesson here is to stay alert and to be aware of, and show respect for, the local culture.

#195813 - 02/13/10 03:57 AM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: EchoingLaugh]
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: EchoingLaugh
Was very shocking, but I think that it warrants mention, apparently a red bandanna hanging out of my back left pocket (like my grandfather) means something to some people. confused I do not think that it is really relevant, but thought I should give a heads up.

Isn't it just sad.....

... Then again, sometime a handkerchief is just a handkerchief (apoligies to Freud)

(Somehow a Freud quote seemed appropriate)eek

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

#195825 - 02/13/10 05:39 PM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: GauchoViejo]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: GauchoViejo
've been checking the web and all the bandanas measure from 20 to 22 inches. Is this size OK? because I heard an expert say that he likes them to be 30 x 30".
At that level, bigger is better. It's easier to wear a 22" on your head than a 20"; you need the extra for knots etc.

A bandanna is substantially more useful if its diagonal is long enough to go all around any part of your body, so you can use it as a belt or a bandage or as a loin-cloth or a bra or a cloak. A 30" one will wrap a 42" waist but without leaving anything for a knot. I like the 35" ones from Jinglebobs. However, these are silk, which is significantly lighter and thinner than cotton. A 35" silk has about the same weight and bulk as a 22" cotton. I've never seen a 30" cotton and it might be too bulky for every day use.

I found their 42" ones too big to be practical. All that extra material just gets in the way. At some point it's probably better to have two smaller ones.

#195832 - 02/13/10 06:42 PM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: Brangdon]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
Another unpractical use... Improvised Weapon grin!!!! Twist it up, and give it a nice twitch of the wrist! It hurts more if you soak it then ring it out and use it!!

#195834 - 02/13/10 06:50 PM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: Eugene]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
You could use as an emergency defensive weapon. Put your pocket change or some smooth gravel into your bandana, hold it by the four corners, and you have a sapp.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 210 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
8 minutes 13 seconds ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.