Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#195685 - 02/11/10 11:39 PM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: dougwalkabout]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

A bandanna is possible the most useful bit of kit anyone can carry.

They are water filters, bandages, field expedient socks (portyanki), and loincloth (emergency replacement underwear or swimsuit). A string around the waist, possibly a narrow strip ripped from the bandanna and twisted to form a cord, and a narrow rectangular cloth formed from the larger piece by folding or cutting.

My favorite are simple unbleached cotton muslin sold as a 'triangular bandage', that are typically about 30" square, and sell for a bit more than $1 each and often come with a couple of cheap but handy safety pins. You can dye them any color you like but the natural off-white looks good to me. I'm not willing to pay an extra $5 to get the OD green version.

#195709 - 02/12/10 01:05 AM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: Mark_F]
GauchoViejo Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Argentina
Thanks Marks, that's a good idea. I'm off to raid my wife's supply of fabrics!:-)

#195724 - 02/12/10 03:19 AM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: GauchoViejo]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Any size is OK, but I fint that the bigger ones are more useful. You can make them from cotton cloth, they don't have to be fancy.

#195726 - 02/12/10 03:27 AM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: hikermor]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: hikermor

It is common knowledge that red bandannas are more efficacious in all applications, than any other color.

OK, I'll take the bait. Red is certainly better for bullfighting, but for all other applications, I recommend olive green. Looks great tied on my head with a long tail, and it attracts rich and beautiful women.

#195732 - 02/12/10 04:44 AM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Howdy Everyone! If you are fortunate enough to have a 99cents only store in your locale,they regularly stock 100% cotton,22"x22" Bandanas in just about every Hue, you could desire.They all have that fancy:Cowboy Paisley pattern,printed on them,however... they are Definitely made Elsewhere,so I've handwashed mine,a few times,with Castille soap/Cold water.

#195734 - 02/12/10 05:05 AM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: philip]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Hmm, based on comments above, a bandana is kinda like ... a towel.

But you can't go around saying "I'm a guy who knows where his bandana is!" People will misunderstand. laugh
Originally Posted By: philip
> Arthur Dent would approve. :->
Another use, You can blindfold your self. whistle If you do not actually have to see the perils you are facing you can be less scared! crazy

Sorry I had to. laugh

More uses: Trail marker, and a pretty flexible dump pouch (tinder/edibles/morels)

I have an extra.

#195735 - 02/12/10 05:09 AM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: EchoingLaugh]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
If you get a white bandana, you can use it as a French Battle Flag....

#195737 - 02/12/10 05:47 AM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: Tarzan]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Yeah, respectfully, I'm a little cautious about revisionist history, as the final accounting tends to point in an inconvenient direction. But hey, that's me, YMMV.

Returning to the OP:
I think the best bandana is a chunk of synthetic chamois. It weighs nothing, and it absorbs many times its weight in liquid. So, it washes and dries skin and hair, it absorbs blood if needed, and it is largely indestructible. If only it came in red, it would be perfect.

Edited by dougwalkabout (02/12/10 06:33 AM)

#195752 - 02/12/10 02:45 PM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: dougwalkabout]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
use 42: Pad. protection from snow/ice/gravel/sharps.
Today I locked my keys in my truck with a couple inches of snow on the ground. (Late to class and rushing) To get to my hide-a-key underneath my truck I had the pleasure of kneeling in the snow. I don't really enjoy a soaked freezing cold knee, so I ran through my options. Rather than trying to get in the snowy bed of my truck to force open the sliding glass window and slip and slide on my plastic bedliner, or using books/papers in my bag as a barrier (terrible waste of paper and would upset my instuctors "I had to kneel on my homework sir, I will have to re-do it.") I decided to use my bandana folded several times over. Kept my knee dry, and dried out on the trip home. I have put it back in its designated pocket, so I will know where it is.
I have an extra.

#195754 - 02/12/10 03:13 PM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: EchoingLaugh]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My first truck came from a repo auction and had a small hole in the floor (a plug should have been there). I duct taped over the hole and tapes spare keys to it. One winter I started the engine and got out to scrape the window and out of habbit locked the doors. I thought no pboblem I get my spare taped over the hole like I planned. Punched my hand through the hole and heard the keys ping as the bounced around in the bac. had to reach my arm in and finally was able to reach one, unlocked my door and drove home. When I got home I relaized the key i had reached was the square head which fits the igniton so I went out and tried it in the door and it wouldn't work, yet somehow earlier it did. Someone was watching over me that night.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.