Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#195542 - 02/10/10 06:13 PM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: Russ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Hi Martin
Like the others, I think the price is more than fair. In fact, there's proabably a few years of donations I need to log with you anyway...

That being said, in some ways I agree with the name thing. Some folks may have sensitive jobs, so there would be some of the "I don't represent any official position" kind of protection. I certainly don't mind my first name being used.

My biggest concern would be the chat room - sure, there'd be real time dialogue, back and forth, etc. But I can see a bunch of paid members having a great discussion that ends when the last one logs off, and no record of it ever enters the thread itself. So a thread may linger and die with minimal participation seen by the general public, but potentially the world's greatest discussion that disappears in the space of a night.

#195543 - 02/10/10 06:16 PM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: Russ]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
consider a life membership option at some multiple of annual membership, to include a hat, a window decal, and a 'Smiling Doug' bobblehead.

#195550 - 02/10/10 07:04 PM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: nursemike]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
In for a bobblehead!!!

#195558 - 02/10/10 08:44 PM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: NightHiker]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I'd pay $12.00 a year, but let's not get hasty... I lost a lot of work and an apartment recently when I had to spend some "funtime" in the hospital. $12.00 is good. LOL

If things looked up, I'd be willing to think about more.

If the subscription fee led to me being able to sell some things, that would be a bonus. And I do have a paypal account.

I do worry about having my name out there on the net though.

#195568 - 02/10/10 10:31 PM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: buckeye]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: buckeye
Martin,

As for the anonymity question, I don't personally have an issue but I can think of some people who may have reasons due to their profession who might not want to list their full name. Also, how would you be able to enforce this? Even on Facebook there is nothing preventing a person from supplying a false name -- just a valid email that can be set up via many domain registrars for just a few bucks is needed for registration.

Simple enough. We cross-check your stated name an address against many databases that are out there. Cheap, even free.

#195569 - 02/10/10 10:32 PM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: MDinana]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MDinana

My biggest concern would be the chat room - sure, there'd be real time dialogue, back and forth, etc. But I can see a bunch of paid members having a great discussion that ends when the last one logs off, and no record of it ever enters the thread itself. So a thread may linger and die with minimal participation seen by the general public, but potentially the world's greatest discussion that disappears in the space of a night.

Archives of chats would become posts. chats are visible to non members.

#195570 - 02/10/10 10:33 PM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: NightHiker]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
I can't say that I have any major objections, I might be willing to pay a dollar a month but I'm not at all crazy about tossing my real name around on the internet...if you're going to do that I would ask that real names be visible only to other premium members, everybody else only sees "handles"

Good idea. Just FYI - there's "digital" and the opposite of digital, which is "private".

https://panopticlick.eff.org/

#195574 - 02/10/10 10:46 PM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: oldsoldier]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
"In for a bobblehead"

Yeah, but not the naked smiling Doug bobblehead.

#195577 - 02/10/10 11:09 PM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: benjammin]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: benjammin

Yeah, but not the naked smiling Doug bobblehead.

<shudders>
On the plus side, they could sell "accessories" for the DR bobblehead, and we could load up its tiny pockets with tiny survival accessories!

More fund raiseing activities!

#195580 - 02/10/10 11:17 PM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: MartinFocazio]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

OK, replying to myself here and consolidating.

There's been some good comments (including some side discussions from DR hisself) and the core concept - a "Benefactor" seems to be OK on one level. Still not saying this will actually HAPPEN but it's under evaluation. The whole idea might get tossed once the logistics of it all are worked out.

What's not at all clear is what being a "benefactor" gets you, but I have a list of things that it's not going to get you. Early access to Shot Show reviews is off the table and the idea of a "marketplace" makes the internet old-timers nervous.

Everyone seems to think that $12 a year is too cheap, I think I'll believe that when the subscriptions come in.

I got a few side notes about accessing some video content - maybe some version of one of DR's presentations. I don't know if that's going to work, but it's an interesting idea.

Another idea that came in via another channel is the concept of some kind of digital "tools" (planners? reminder services?) that are only offered to benefactors.

Anyway, keep the ideas coming.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.