The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#195838 - 02/13/10 09:52 PM Re: When 911 fails [Re: Susan]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Oh, you've seen LOTS of photos or reapeater towers - Ever seen a picture of the Empire State Building? The Chrysler Building? The World Trade Center (There were 4-5 ham radio repeaters up there)

Most times, Ham Radio Repeaters as "piggybacked" onto other commercial sites - be them on water towers, tall buildings, etc. Remember, a LOT of broadcast/Commercial Radio Techs are hams wink
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#195850 - 02/14/10 03:30 AM Re: When 911 fails [Re: philip]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: philip
Quote:
911 operator and police are just like any other job, you have a few that actually are good employees, some that are average and some that are just there taking space.

True. The issue in New Orleans, though, was that the 911 call center was under water - it was uninhabitable, inoperable, and had no outside connectivity, so attempts to transfer operability failed and callers didn't know it. Eventually calls to 911 in NO were routed to Baton Rouge, but no one told Baton Rouge about it, and the onslaught of callers was unexpected.

We've got portable repeaters in one of our ham clubs, but I'm expecting things to go bad for longer than emergency gas and batteries for repeaters will last, if we have an NO-style earthquake. My hope with HF radio is that we can communicate with the outside world, pass some health and welfare traffic, and maybe get some attention when search and rescue people can actually get here.

Sounds like they had some more people and protocol issues in NOLA. All the 911 systems I've worked with the telco provides a dry line and the PSAP provides power back, that way a failure can be detected easily and immediately. The telco should have routed to the backup site as soon as the primary went down, but even before that someone in charge should have done some notification early on.

#195858 - 02/14/10 02:54 PM Re: When 911 fails [Re: Eugene]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Do satellite phones ever suffer from congestion problems after events like Haiti or Katrina?

#195859 - 02/14/10 03:01 PM Re: When 911 fails [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Any phones do, cell, satellite, land line. When they design any phone system they plan on not everyone making a call at the same time.

#195869 - 02/14/10 07:30 PM Re: When 911 fails [Re: Eugene]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> but even before that someone in charge should have done some notification
> early on.

Yeah, it was a FUBAR all the way around. The "someone in charge" transferred 911 to the local fire station that was also under water, I guess without checking. Why it took so long to get transferred to Baton Rouge is a mystery; so is not letting them know.

The vital information here is that this did in fact get totally screwed up, and I can expect total screw ups in a major earthquake. Murphy's Law abides.

#195870 - 02/14/10 07:38 PM Re: When 911 fails [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I've never heard. I'm not sure where to find that information.

WikiPedia says yes"
Quote:
Most mobile telephone networks operate close to capacity during normal times and large spikes in call volumes caused by widespread emergencies often overload the system just when it is needed the most. Examples reported in the media where this have occurred include the September 11 attacks, the Hawaiian earthquake, the 2003 Northeast blackouts, Hurricane Katrina, and the 2007 Minnesota bridge collapse.
Also, terrestrial cell antennas and networks can be damaged by natural disasters. Satellite telephony can avoid this problem and be critical in natural disaster communications. Satellite phone networks themselves are prone to congestion as satellites and spot beams cover a very large area with relatively few voice channels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_phone
but I never know whether WikiPedia's got exactly correct information of someone's best guess, which might be right. Or not.

I expect news services to tie up satellites, too, in a big emergency as they use satellite phones and modems to stream video back to HQ.

#195883 - 02/14/10 11:36 PM Re: When 911 fails [Re: philip]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: philip
...snip...
I expect news services to tie up satellites, too, in a big emergency as they use satellite phones and modems to stream video back to HQ.

They generally DON'T use the same kind of birds that sat phones use, they have birds up in geosync orbit for most of their stuff, which is why you see fairly large ground station trucks

I used to work for one of the major TV networks (laid off 2.5 weeks ago) and some of my software was to monitor one of the downlinks
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 265 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.