The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#195851 - 02/14/10 06:08 AM USA snowstorms-is flooding likely
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Just curious if the snowfall is in areas that increase the risks of major flooding. I am wondering if the spring run off might be a bit higher than usual...

#195853 - 02/14/10 06:54 AM Re: USA snowstorms-is flooding likely [Re: scafool]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
The big flood factor (besides water) is massive amounts of ice clogging chokepoints.

On Feb 4th, 2010, the river stage at Vidalia, La was 3 feet higher than the level was on Feb 4th, 1973. This does not bode well for the coming annual June rise that occurs annually.

I've taken out Flood Insurance, this year!

#195860 - 02/14/10 03:46 PM Re: USA snowstorms-is flooding likely [Re: wildman800]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
We're having a slow melt in DC, with a few more inches expected tomorrow.

The 10-day forecast has the high temps mostly in the 30s and topping out around 40 degrees so looks like we're not going to have a rapid melt that would cause extreme flooding. If we had a couple 60 degree days it would be another story for areas, such as the lowest blocks of Old Town Alexandria, that are right on the Potomac.

My neighborhood remains punctuated with virtual icebergs which have formed from snowplows running up against the snow people have dug out from around their cars and then there's the mountains of snow dug from the sidewalks. It's really an astonishing sight every time we walk around here.

I'm still taking a snowshoe pole with me everywhere, to get over the snow mountains at many intersections and the sidewalks that were never or poorly shoveled.

And we haven't had garbage pickup in the past 10 days. It's getting messy around here.

Attachments
DSC_4932.jpg

DSC_4908.jpg

Edited by Dagny (02/14/10 03:56 PM)

#195861 - 02/14/10 04:25 PM Re: USA snowstorms-is flooding likely [Re: Dagny]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Once the snow starts melting, if you know where the storm drains are in the roadway along your street, it will help to clear them so the resultant water runoff does not turn your street into a enormous slurpee. Ask me how I know...

John Lubbock

#195863 - 02/14/10 04:40 PM Re: USA snowstorms-is flooding likely [Re: Teslinhiker]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
snowmelt mixed with garbage not being picked up equals clogged culverts and drains and localized flooding. If you floodwater runoff channels are flooded or clogged it can back up on your street and cause all manner of mischief. Be aware of overturned garbage cans and refuse in the street. It is amazing what a few poly bags can do to impeding water flow.

#195864 - 02/14/10 04:45 PM Re: USA snowstorms-is flooding likely [Re: Teslinhiker]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Yikes, that has to be taking a toll on parking spots. When I used to go back there in the 80's and early 90's, street parking in the residential areas was at a premium under the best of circumstances. We had unusually heavy snow fall last winter here in the south puget sound area and it seemed forever until those mounds of snow in parking lots melted away.

#195867 - 02/14/10 06:19 PM Re: USA snowstorms-is flooding likely [Re: rebwa]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
The flood warnings for Minnesota are already going out... the Red River Valley will likely have some and as Wildman800 said the ice dams will be a big factor too. I'm lucky where we're at the house is high enough that flooding isn't an issue. If I get flooded out, I'm going to be looking for my neighbor named Noah and ask for a ride!

#195877 - 02/14/10 10:37 PM Re: USA snowstorms-is flooding likely [Re: rebwa]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: rebwa
Yikes, that has to be taking a toll on parking spots. When I used to go back there in the 80's and early 90's, street parking in the residential areas was at a premium under the best of circumstances. We had unusually heavy snow fall last winter here in the south puget sound area and it seemed forever until those mounds of snow in parking lots melted away.

Yes, indeed. Most aren't moving cars simply because of lost parking spaces. Cars have been dug out either through sweat equity or paying someone else to do it (it's been a stimulus for anyone carrying a shovel).

Others save their parking spaces as best they can, and I do respect their effort to do so. I haven't moved my car because I'm prepared enough to not need to. Maybe in a few days.

Attachments
DSC_4985.jpg

DSC_4997.jpg

#195878 - 02/14/10 10:45 PM Re: USA snowstorms-is flooding likely [Re: Teslinhiker]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Once the snow starts melting, if you know where the storm drains are in the roadway along your street, it will help to clear them so the resultant water runoff does not turn your street into a enormous slurpee. Ask me how I know...

Great advice. A neighbor and I have taken ownership of the storm drains on our block.

My block has been terrific throughout these storms -- our sidewalks have been regularly shoveled and pathways are clear through our corners.

#195879 - 02/14/10 10:52 PM Re: USA snowstorms-is flooding likely [Re: Dagny]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Dagny, your posts and photos here have made what has been going on there very clear to those of us in the rest of the country, esp those of us that don't have television service.

Thank you very much!

And nice dog photos, too...

Sue

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.