The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#195844 - 02/13/10 11:51 PM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
If you do some creative folding it can be a pocket organizer.When folded there is always an oped end that is devided.A folding knife in one division,a flash light in another,a fire steel in one.I think you see where this is going....

BOATMAN
John

#195846 - 02/14/10 01:03 AM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: KenK]
rbruce Offline

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: KenK
I just wanted to point out that 100 years ago last Monday, Lord Baden-Powell, the founder of Boy Scouts, felt that the bandanna was so useful that he made it a standard - and very noticeable - part of the Boy Scout uniform - the Boy Scout neckerchief.

Over the years the Boy Scout neckerchief's design has devolved from a large square multi-use piece of cloth to a small triangular limited-use wisp of fabric. Some troops are trying to bring back the original neckerchief. I'm trying to talk my son's Scoutmaster and the youth leaders into doing that in their troop.

Neckerchief Uses
First Aid uses

#195847 - 02/14/10 02:18 AM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: rbruce]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
The Japanese govt in their attempt to reduce the problems with plastic shopping bags were promoting the use of large scarves for carrying shopping.
They refer to it as Furoshiki.
The scarves resemble large bandannas There are 8 standard sizes from 18 to 52 inches but usually they are about 30 inches square.
Of course you can make them any size you like.
The preferred cloth is either synthetic (nylon, rayon?) or silk because it is strong and the knots hold well.
They have some interesting ways to tie them into bundles.

These two sites are a brief introduction.
http://www.infomapjapan.com/hstore/200709-infospecial.phtml
http://www.env.go.jp/en/focus/attach/060403-5.html

#195857 - 02/14/10 02:08 PM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: scafool]
joost Offline
Stranger

Loc: The Netherlands
I've used mine (actually an old St. Johns ambulance association sling) for the usual lot, i.e. to:
-save other people's brains from frying a few times
-pre-filter water
-sling
-carry items

I just came back from 7 months in Gabon, habituating wild chimpanzees and gorillas in Loango national park. In order to try to find underground honey chambers where chimps had dug for underground bees nests, we would push old tent poles into the ground. More than a few times my slingdana ended up being necessary in order to be able to pull our perforating tool out of the ground, what with humidity, sweat, grease.

I also never thought that my leatherman would be used to saw through a chimp bone!

#195898 - 02/15/10 05:12 AM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: joost]
Steve Offline
Journeyman

Loc: North Carolina
My most common use is to keep my head warm, and many times I've been glad to EDC a bandanna, although a thin SmartWool knit cap is small enough to serve that role, too.

It is often helpful to spread out a bandanna to keep together small items, such as emptying my pockets, etc.

As for size, about 22 inches square seems to be optimal for use as cap-style headgear. Smaller and you don't have enough cloth to tie a knot; larger and the cloth is bulky for tying a knot. So it is interesting to play around with it and see what you prefer. A larger bandanna will let you tie it so cloth hangs down the back of your neck to reduce sunburn.

Although cotton seems to be preferred, I'm looking for silk in the right weight/texture.

I try changing the way it is folded from time to time so it does not wear holes in it, something I learned the hard way.

Steve

#195907 - 02/15/10 02:27 PM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: EchoingLaugh]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Originally Posted By: EchoingLaugh
My grandfather carried a "hankey" for all of his adult life. When did it become acceptable to not?

My dad, who turns 80 next month, still does. For myself, however, carrying used boogers around in my pocket was not appealing. I still carry a bandana and sometimes a hankey for the uses you mentioned, but NOT for blowing my own nose and putting it back in my pocket.

And to avoid any confusion, I do NOT leave a bandana or hanky of any color just "hanging out of my pocket." laugh

Edited by Mark_Frantom (02/15/10 02:30 PM)

#195908 - 02/15/10 02:37 PM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: rbruce]
plsander Offline

I must need more sleep -- when I first saw this thread, I read it as "Banana Republic."

Or maybe I have seen that skit too many times...

Originally Posted By: KenK
I just wanted to point out that 100 years ago last Monday, Lord Baden-Powell, the founder of Boy Scouts, felt that the bandanna was so useful that he made it a standard - and very noticeable - part of the Boy Scout uniform - the Boy Scout neckerchief.

#195909 - 02/15/10 02:41 PM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: Mark_F]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
Originally Posted By: EchoingLaugh
My grandfather carried a "hankey" for all of his adult life. When did it become acceptable to not?

My dad, who turns 80 next month, still does. For myself, however, carrying used boogers around in my pocket was not appealing.

Agreed. But it is a great backup to tissue paper, which is my primary nose blower. With two small kids I really appreciate always having a "backup hankie" nearby. Tissue paper in your pockets will just turn into soggy, frayed paper fibers really quick. Hankies - don't leave home without it.

In my smaller first aid kits, sterile (or at least clean!) triangular cloths are preferred to gauze binds. (Packs smaller, easier to use and more versatile). My emergency bandana substitute, so to speak. The smaller triangular cloths won't cover all aspects of a bandana. But the headgear bandana options are not that important to me - in my climate proper clothing against the cold must be worn anyway.

#195933 - 02/15/10 11:10 PM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've always carried one as well and have been told its nasty. But compared to trying to carry around thin tissues that tear through when you try to use them its seems better to me. You just have to be careful how you use them, don't use the same spot twice and fold the used side inward when you put it in your pocket.

#195935 - 02/16/10 12:02 AM Re: Bandana Republic [Re: plsander]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: plsander
I must need more sleep -- when I first saw this thread, I read it as "Banana Republic."

It was meant as a play on words wink

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.