Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#195676 - 02/11/10 10:49 PM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: Blast]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: Blast

Martin, you seem to be in a pretty secure spot in your life and with your particular skills and contacts you probably don't worry about someone e-mailing your employer with lies. Many of us (me included) do not have that sort of security in our life. The last thing anyone wants to do is give someone with a chip on their shoulder a lever into their life.

Unless you're aware of what a TOR exit node is and you have intimate knowledge of encryption and routing protocols, and you're not using a computer that runs any number of ordinary protocols and you're connecting to the internet via multiple internet connections in multiple locations, you're not anonymous.

#195678 - 02/11/10 10:57 PM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: MartinFocazio]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
Originally Posted By: Blast

Martin, you seem to be in a pretty secure spot in your life and with your particular skills and contacts you probably don't worry about someone e-mailing your employer with lies. Many of us (me included) do not have that sort of security in our life. The last thing anyone wants to do is give someone with a chip on their shoulder a lever into their life.

Unless you're aware of what a TOR exit node is and you have intimate knowledge of encryption and routing protocols, and you're not using a computer that runs any number of ordinary protocols and you're connecting to the internet via multiple internet connections in multiple locations, you're not anonymous.

Perhaps not to the CIA or an extreme computer geek, but the average person or HR department whose research consists of Googling a name is not going to pick up on my ETS comments.

#195707 - 02/12/10 12:54 AM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: MartinFocazio]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Martin, you could do it. I could probably do it, and I know plenty of people who do it pretty regularly. But even my potential employers aren't likely to go to that extreme. The programming people don't care and the HR weasels are going to stop at Google and Facebook.

I am looking for a job. I'm interviewing for one tomorrow. That means that I'm going to burn a vacation day, so my boss doesn't know that I am looking. By the same token, I don't want to have it be known to a potential employer that I engage in what is commonly considered paranoid behavior. I camp, I shoot (and I'm careful how I mention that at work) and hunt, and seem to be able to pull whatever is needed at the moment from my bag or truck. They know I'd rather be half way up a mountain most days than in the office. THAT is what they know. That is all I need them to know. That is the same reason that if I can ever get published, it will be under a pseudonym.

I like being able to have a modicum of privacy from random nosy and stalkery people. Martin, you live in the world where this stuff is normal- sometimes you can forget that for 99.9% of the world, it is black magic. I know I forget sometimes that most people have no idea how the interweb works, and don't realize that their computer is just a glorified calculator. From someone with a little training, some software and a very little patience there is no privacy. Maybe one in a thousand people know how little about you isn't available. But I'd like to keep that 99.9% from knowing my real name is really Rumpelstiltskin. Or something like that.

There is another reason for not liking the idea of using my real name. I can say "IronRaven" online, and if there is anyone in the room who spends time here or at ZS or a couple of places, and they'll know it is probably me. After a few posts, it's me, that becomes pretty obvious. But XXXXXXXX, who's that? I'm known as IronRaven, it is my nom de perati. Even if we were to do a meet and greet, yeah, you'd get my first name. I'd have it on a sticker that says "hi my name is". But "IronRaven" would be above my real name, and in much larger letters.

If I can't post as IronRaven, then I think I'll pass on a premium service. Same reason as I pass on donating to NPR- I love their product, but they publish everyone's names. Everything else I hear, I like. But not that. If we have to be outted, then I doubt you'll get a lot of interest.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#195713 - 02/12/10 01:16 AM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: ironraven]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Although I am new to the forums and do not see any real value (yet) in having a premium membership for this forum. If I did decide to contribute to a premium membership, I would not do so if real world names were required. I share a common real world name with a certain athlete which for years when I used a similar email name, resulted in some very disturbing emails and attempts to contact me.

I also do some very sensitive work and know my present and potential future employers would not share my enthusiasm in forums such as this no matter how much they genuinely encourage, support and always enjoy my stories, photos and videos of my outdoor related activities.

John Lubbock

#195739 - 02/12/10 06:16 AM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: ]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Howdy Everyone!As for example purposes only,Ebay uses a Premier member system,It's called: Verified seller,& Once one supplies additional required personal info & 5 bucks,they get a special symbol next to their name or Handle.Once this status is established,transactions are "Rarily" scrutinized for honesty/truth,should a problem present itself,as one of the requirements to obtain this status,is a signed promissory note,that legally binds one to be Honest/Fair.Something like this could be Implemented on this site,& All who have signed up for the status,would be allowed to keep their handles & have a certain symbol displayed thereof.As for the required 200 posts?Let me be Bold enough to say"Martin,I think you are Jumping the gun,a bit!Patterns? this suggests someone is being Psychoanalytical,I beleive this is why you threw it out there,in such a manner,as to get the feedback,am I right?Forgive me if I'm wrong!My present handle is the most I'm willing to display over the www!It gives my 1st name/present location,probably enough,wouldn't you say?I love the outdoors & I love to learn!I've followed this site for many years & have learned ALOT!I have NO problems contributing monetarily & have made quite a few Anonymous Contributions to ETS Foundation.That probably won't stop either,as I said before, I love to learn!Whatever becomes of the forum,well...I guess we shall see! Thanx for allowing my opinions! Richlacal

#195747 - 02/12/10 02:24 PM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: Richlacal]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

My 2 cents:

Don't like using my real name, it creates issues in terms of employers snooping etc. I use the same handle across the net, I don't really want to change it, but I think it will be restrictive versus any payoff it may gain.

Happy to pay a subscription but in return I think I would like to see content updated more frequently - forum is great, but the front page doesn't move that fast compared to some other sites which are free (in other words I get 90% of the value of this site from the forum which is mostly the guys behind the community)

In terms of pricing - be wary of charging too little - getting people to subscribe (pull out the credit card, type in the number etc) is the biggest hurdle, and it doesn't change that much whatever the price point - it ain't the money it's the inertia. You also send out a signal that you put a low value on what you are offering. (Lots of kit out there that gets a premium rep because of the premium price)

Gold membership with a private sub forum and a marketplace might work

Just my opinion, which is worthless of course :-)

#195753 - 02/12/10 02:49 PM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: bigreddog]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

If additional revenue is the problem, address that with additional services or goods. I would be very wary of messing with the structure of the forum as it now stands.

#195757 - 02/12/10 03:28 PM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: hikermor]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Just a thought.

If John Smith was selling something, say, a slightly used RSK Mk 1, I would probably pass.

On the other hand, if ironraven were selling the same item, I would give it more than just a passing glance.

Many of the long-time members here have built their reputations by their handles. If they suddenly switch to their actual name for a premium membership, well, suddenly I don't know them from ... John Smith. Unless their handle is somehow tied to their actual name, i.e. John Smith aka ironraven.

Perhaps we could keep the handles but supply the additional information confidentially?

I don't really know what the answer is. Whatever, as I think I said before, someone will be unhappy with the end result. Lurkers with low posts. Newbies with more than enough posts but not enough time registered. Perhaps you could simply revamp the marketplace for now as a yearly fee? Just throwing some more ideas around. FWIW.

#195763 - 02/12/10 04:27 PM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: Mark_F]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have no strong feeling one way or the other re handles vs real names. Handles seem like a nice exotic, somewhat whimsical, custom.

I have long realized that anything you state on the internet is the equivalent of shouting the concept at the top of your lungs to the whole wide world. I don't voice anything that I would not care to attach my "real" name to.

#195817 - 02/13/10 05:37 AM Re: Evaluating a "Premium" membership option [Re: hikermor]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
Originally Posted By: hikermor
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

If additional revenue is the problem, address that with additional services or goods. I would be very wary of messing with the structure of the forum as it now stands.

My sentiments exactly.

As for the real name thing, I don't know of a single other "open site for enthusiasts" that requires you to use your real name. The idea of knowing your trading partner has been surfaced. Usually you learn the identity of your internet trading partner AFTER a deal has been struck, and this happens in a private mode. This is sufficient. I don't have any need to know the real name of people I am not trading with.

I don't think a single good reason for forcing real names has been identified.

Edited by clarktx (02/13/10 05:39 AM)

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.