Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#195723 - 02/12/10 03:01 AM Re: DR1 vs Griptillian [Re: T_Co]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

The injection points are on all the Griptilian handles (which is the basis of the RSK Mk1 line). The difference is that on the dark colors, especially the black, they aren't really noticeable. On the light colors, they are much more obvious, especially after use. It's an injection molded handle, nature of the beast, get over it. smile

Edited by Doug_Ritter (02/12/10 03:02 AM)
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#195741 - 02/12/10 08:03 AM Re: DR1 vs Griptillian [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Fresno Offline
Stranger

Loc: Central
Picked up an Orange Griptillian 3 days ago. I am surprised the reviewer did not appreciate how light it was compared to how strong it is with the axis lock system. That to me is the beauty of this knife. Have to agree, this reviewer was very thorough but too focused on aestetics. Best orange folder out there in my opinion.

#195745 - 02/12/10 01:42 PM Re: DR1 vs Griptillian [Re: Fresno]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
I was over the injection dimples after about the 4th reply, more concerned about the feel, which luckily craig was nice enough to respond about, thanks.

#195758 - 02/12/10 03:45 PM Re: DR1 vs Griptillian [Re: T_Co]
Craig_Thompson Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SE PA United States
T_Co, I understand completely about the "feel" issue. That is one of the first things I noticed and initially was not happy about. The more I use it and get to know it, the more I realize that it is simply because it is so light, a valuable quality in EDC as well as emergency situations.

I have quickly come to appreciate all the detailed design features of this knife and am really happy that someone showed it me. A tip of the hat to Doug!

Not inexpensive for sure but worth the money in my opinion. No hesitation to say that.

#195769 - 02/12/10 05:16 PM Re: DR1 vs Griptillian [Re: Craig_Thompson]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I own two RSKs, a Mk 1 and a mini. For me, the handles are outstanding, light but with a natural shape and excellent grip. These are the two best folding knives I own. I've owned more expensive knives that didn't feel as good in my hand, cut as well, or hold an edge as well.

#195773 - 02/12/10 06:24 PM Re: DR1 vs Griptillian [Re: T_Co]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
A couple of comments regarding that article:

First I own, at last count, five folding Benchmade's and three fixed bladed. One of whom, the 721 (Axis Lock) was my work knife for several years. It was used every working day. Sometimes several times per day. They are excellent duty knives.

Second: To my knowledge there is no salt water resistant steel that will take and retain an ultra sharp edge. That's a consequence of the steel's composition. In other words it's a trade off. Superior corrosion resistance at the expense of a small reduction in edge keenness.

Third, the only reason why the knife is opening in his pocket is because he has allowed the pivot to loosen. With any knife of this construction opening and closing the knife causes a small amount of rotation in the pivot. Because the pivot is essentially a bolt, friction between the bolt heads and the handle causes the pivot to loosen up over time. It not really a manufacturing or design issue. Just poor maintenance. You have to clean and maintain your other tools. Why should this one be any different?

#195776 - 02/12/10 08:12 PM Re: DR1 vs Griptillian [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
...snip...
Second: To my knowledge there is no salt water resistant steel that will take and retain an ultra sharp edge. ...snip...

Well, not technically steel, but you CAN get a talonite/Stellite based knife for "ultra sharp" and salt water resistance. No, it's NOT going to be quite as sharp as say a good high carbon steel, but it'll be shaving sharp, and will tend to hold that edge a LONG time. (BTW Talonite is Mostly Cobalt and Chrome, with only a small percentage of iron in it (<3%) - It's also known as Stellite 6BH)

The BIG issue? PRICE. I think the only non custom maker that ever used it was Camillus

Not used as much anymore, as a lot of the uses, people have shifted to H1 steel, but IMHO it doesn't give as good an edge, but does maintain the salt water resistance
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#195787 - 02/12/10 11:33 PM Re: DR1 vs Griptillian [Re: T_Co]
George Offline
Stranger

I EDC an orange MK1, and I do not have the same complaints as that reviewer. I never noticed the dirty dimples before and just shrugged my shoulders. I too was initially surprised at the knife's light weight, but now consider this to be a benefit. I have never had this knife open inadvertently in my pocket as the reviewer describes. I carry it clipped in my right front pocket. It feels good in my hand during use and opening it is very smooth and easy.

#195816 - 02/13/10 05:01 AM Re: DR1 vs Griptillian [Re: KG2V]
Bill_Mead Offline

Loc: Tarpon Springs,Florida
I read the same reviews before I ordered my MK1, yes it is light, but it is very functional. Don’t confuse weight with quality. I am very happy with mine, so happy I also ordered a mini and plan to order one for my son as well. I liked the axis lock so much I ordered an H2O griptillian, it’s a nice knife but the Ritter is still my favorite.

#195829 - 02/13/10 06:18 PM Re: DR1 vs Griptillian [Re: Bill_Mead]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
This thread reminds me of a few conversations I overheard back when Glocks were first coming to market. "Plastic" just isn't what it used to be.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 639 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.