Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#195471 - 02/10/10 12:54 AM Re: Historic snowfall - N/E I-95 Corridor [Re: Dagny]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
great pics everyone. And as for all the snow, HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!! laugh

With more bad weather on the way, everyone stay safe and warm.

#195498 - 02/10/10 08:31 AM Re: Historic snowfall - N/E I-95 Corridor [Re: Mark_F]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Great shots, Dagny!

Talk about Gidget being in her element!

Sue

#195540 - 02/10/10 06:01 PM Re: Historic snowfall - N/E I-95 Corridor [Re: Dagny]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: Dagny

All my neighbors have one question when they start digging their cars out (street-parked): "Where do I put the snow?"

The sidewalk they've been shoveling for the past three days?

Or the street, where you'll end up playing ping-pong with the plows?

I've no plans to move my car so it will be dug out, eventually, by the sun. Sometime in March, perhaps....

:-)

Don't know if you saw this story in the Post but it raises similar questions.

Also,

I SURRENDER!

Here in lovely Chester County PA we've already gotten 10-12" of snow at 14:00 Wednesday and they expect it to keep snowing until midnight. My dog's snow trench is now 4 feet high. Enough already!

#195557 - 02/10/10 08:42 PM Re: Historic snowfall - N/E I-95 Corridor [Re: Dagny]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Originally Posted By: Dagny
All my neighbors have one question when they start digging their cars out (street-parked): "Where do I put the snow?"

The sidewalk they've been shoveling for the past three days?

Or the street, where you'll end up playing ping-pong with the plows?

I've no plans to move my car so it will be dug out, eventually, by the sun. Sometime in March, perhaps....

You could sew bags into your trousers so that you could sneak the snow past the guards. Then via a clever string system you could open the bottom of the pockets and release the snow down your pant leg where you could mix it with the rest of the snow in the yard. LOL

#195591 - 02/11/10 01:48 AM Re: Historic snowfall - N/E I-95 Corridor [Re: Nicodemus]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: Nicodemus
You could sew bags into your trousers so that you could sneak the snow past the guards. Then via a clever string system you could open the bottom of the pockets and release the snow down your pant leg where you could mix it with the rest of the snow in the yard. LOL

I know NOTH-ing, I seeeee NOTH-ing... NOTH-ING!

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#195596 - 02/11/10 02:38 AM Re: Historic snowfall - N/E I-95 Corridor [Re: thseng]
Susan Offline
Geezer

You shovel the snow into the trunk of your car, slip and slide to the nearest river, and dump it in.

You make little holes in your pockets and operate the strings while you're walking casually (and whistling) across your neighbor's yard with your hands in your pockets. If you have a really nasty neighbor, have everyone empty their socks in his yard and bury his house.

Andy, if you have a woodshed with a dirt floor, take him in there. Pick up solids in a plastic bag, scatter some sawdust over the liquid deposits. It works fine for dachshunds.

Sue

#195674 - 02/11/10 10:04 PM Re: Historic snowfall - N/E I-95 Corridor [Re: Susan]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
I'd be interested to read a more in-depth report on the grocery situation this past week, but this is instructive. Psychology, actual need and a fragile distribution network.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/11/AR2010021101944.html?hpid=artslot

Washingtonians huddled against two monumental back-to-back snowstorms have been buying groceries in near-hoarding quantities over the past week. They've been quick to post online photos of empty grocery shelves and trade the latest intelligence on which stores are stocked and which have nary a green vegetable in sight.

A reader reported being greeted at a Safeway in Burke by a cart wrangler who offered a wry [i]"Good luck finding food."

Store after store was sold out of flour and baking supplies
. "I guess everyone is baking," surmised Maria Rodriguez-Carreno after reporting no flour left Tuesday at a Giant in Rockville.

If there's one lesson grocers have learned from past storms it's this: Shoppers will buy everything in sight the day before a storm. They want bread, eggs, rock salt, snow shovels. They want gourmet Gruyere cheese to melt over the French onion soup they're going to make for the first time in a decade. They want frozen pizza, toilet paper, flashlights and loads of those big honking D-cell batteries to fuel them. That was last Thursday. And again Tuesday.

The second lesson in the grocery business is this: Most shoppers hibernate during the worst of the storm. Then, once they begin to dig out, comes the second rush when shelves are again picked clean. That was last Sunday. Now, grocers are bracing for a brisk day Thursday and into the weekend as even more snow is predicted for Monday.

[/i]

#195699 - 02/12/10 12:23 AM Re: Historic snowfall - N/E I-95 Corridor [Re: Dagny]
Susan Offline
Geezer

What would happen with all those people if a major EMP incident took place next week?

It boggles the mind, doesn't it?

Sue

#195719 - 02/12/10 02:11 AM Re: Historic snowfall - N/E I-95 Corridor [Re: Susan]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Susan
What would happen with all those people if a major EMP incident took place next week?

It boggles the mind, doesn't it?

Sue

Yes, it does.

And we're out of milk.

Contrary to the article, a neighbor went to the grocery this afternoon and said it was not busy and was very well stocked (with lots of employees stocking the shelves while he was there).

#195725 - 02/12/10 03:24 AM Re: Historic snowfall - N/E I-95 Corridor [Re: Dagny]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Retailers are pretty good at this sort of thing now, especially with modern computer sales & inventory modeling. They know what happened the last time there was a major snowstorm, and this time there was plenty of time due to weather forecasting to prepare. Any large retailer that ran dry has a problem somewhere in inventory management or demand forecasting.

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.