Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#195149 - 02/05/10 03:25 PM Re: Yellowstone? [Re: UncleGoo]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
Note to self: Proofread posts more carefully before posting. Spell check does not pick up on all errors. . .

#195153 - 02/05/10 03:48 PM Re: Yellowstone? [Re: Jesselp]
Meadowlark Offline

Loc: Northern Colorado

Spell Czech -- gets ewe every thyme! wink

Yellowstone is one of those scenarios that makes one pause, to be sure. Sort of like a meteor collision, in that we know that it's statistically probable, but it's a topic we'd prefer to regulate to doomsdayers and filmmakers with large CGI budgets.

My knapsack on my back

Current kits: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=241840

#195194 - 02/05/10 11:15 PM Re: Yellowstone? [Re: Jesselp]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Jesselp, feeling a bit apocalyptic.

I personally wouldn't be too concerned about the Yellowstone Caldera going bang, but if it does then tough times are ahead for everyone.

Not being a geologist I think from what I have gathered is that a Magma flow in a volcano exhibits what are called harmonic tremors. Basically a very long duration series of earth tremors where one earthquake is pretty indistinguishable from another. (showing long period or very long wavelength frequencies coupled to the higher frequency oscillations)

Rather than look at the USGS list of earthquakes in the Yellowstone region the seismographs nearest the earthquake swarm in Yellowstone is probably a better indication of what is going on;

http://quake.utah.edu/helicorder/ymr_webi_3d.htm

Although the University of Utah doesn't believe that there are no tremors associated with volcanic magma movement (i.e. harmonic tremors) with the current Yellowstone earthquake swarm, I do believe myself that there is some evidence of limited harmonic tremors energising the the larger earthquake events (i.e M> 2.5) that might be associated with fault slippage.

The fact that there is also another current earthquake swarm here in northern California just north of San Francisco coupled with lots of activity in in the Mexicali volcanic activity region and the recent 5.9 earthquake of the coast of California yesterday (near Eureka again) doesn't do much for confidence either. Certainly seems like something is brewing in this part of the world on the ring of fire.

#195203 - 02/06/10 12:42 AM Re: Yellowstone? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Two years ago there was an earthquake swarm near Reno, and a few years before that, another swarm near Mammoth. Whloe lot os shakin' goin' on.

#195292 - 02/07/10 01:10 PM Re: Yellowstone? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Quote:
Jesselp, feeling a bit apocalyptic.

I agree, Yellowstone is a high-impact low-threat (relatively speaking) problem. You should not specifically prepare for it. You should however think about skills that would be very useful in an environment after a volcano that you might want to learn to have an edge on surviving. Things like: negotiations/persuasion/leadership (you may not be the leader, but you'll need to know where to fit in), weapons training, gardening/farming, cooking, metal working, building small structures, and the list goes on.

Use an all-hazards type of mentality, don't focus on the high-impact low-threat ( i.e. TEOTWAWKI ), but learn skills that will be valuable. If you have a degree in something that is less than 100 years old, it generally probably will not help you in something like a TEOTWAWKI event.

#195351 - 02/08/10 04:07 PM Re: Yellowstone? [Re: ki4buc]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yep, I put Yellowstone into the "Not much we can do about it now" category. It's really an event that you can only prepare for generally. Beyond that, I don't have access to the sort of resources I'd need to really mitigate such an event. You just hope you survive the initial blast and debris storm, and then apply general survival knowledge after the fact as best you can.

The one thing I did manage was to relocate to a place where the inital impact would hopefully be lessened. That and I do have access to some rather hardened areas here that I didn't anywhere else in CONUS. Whether I can get to them in time even locally will still be a risk.

#195474 - 02/10/10 01:10 AM Re: Yellowstone? [Re: benjammin]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
IIRC, the Science Channel talked about the yellowstone area and it's possible role in the extinction of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago and it's role in the end of mankind. Of course the same show was talking about killer asteroids and other such planet-killing, TEOTWAWKI phenomena. not much you can do to prepare for those things other than what Ben said. Increase your skill base, knowledge base, library, etc, hope you survive the initial blast and do your best to survive.

Mark, who is considering a career change but wondering if it really matters in the shadow of the apocalypse.
*doing my best Blast imitation* laugh

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.