The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 13 of 18 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 17 18 >
Topic Options
#195390 - 02/08/10 10:45 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: thseng]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Sound Good Tom, Thanks for taking on this challange.

Mike

#195404 - 02/09/10 04:10 AM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: thseng]
miner Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Layton, Utah
Sounds awesome Tom!!! Keep us posted.

Alan

#195618 - 02/11/10 12:26 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: miner]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
I am hoping Tom's pots will be available at not too expensive prices...

While waiting for Tom's pots to come out of "may-happen" status I've been tinkering with some ideas of my own... looking around, trying to see possibilities within my own every day items.

As indicated in my post above, I've done some dremel art on a double walled stainless pot. Just your regular inexpensive SS cup, nothing fancy.

Slightly less than two inches in diameter. A rubber sleeve is around it.

The pot comes apart with a cut in the outer shell, about half an inch below the top.

A rubber band keeps the two pieces together by friction.
The outer shell is a "fire cup" for small twigs fire.
The purpose of the rubber sleeve is to cover the fire door and prevent smearing my pack with soot. Also, rubber is an excellent backup tinder.

The cup is also useful for a limited number of firemaking goodies. A small plastic container (bottom right) makes for easy removal of those.

Contents list, starting at top left:
Upper row:
Rubber sleeve,
Outer shell / fire cup
Inner cup, for heating and drinking
Drinking lid

Bottom row:
Steel wires, several sections pre-cut into 1-2 foot pieces
Fire steel
Swiss army knife
Petroleum jelly cotton balls
Lighter
Plastic container.

Weight of cup+sleeve+lid: 140 grams. The plastic cup with contents currently weights about 150 grams, but that can be adjusted both ways by replacing with other gear.

Now the idea is that these items will be used for pleasure and survival situations:

- when offered something to drink I just remove the plastic container and use the cup in the conventional fashion.

- I can use the inner cup plus steel wire to make a hot drink over a fire

- I can make fire in the small fire cup if fire making options are limited (little good firewood available, legal restrictions and so on). I have a vain hope that this can prove good for heating a small emergency shelter, but further testing is required before I can suggest this as a viable option. There are some smoke issues, spark issues and fire safety considerations that really can't be ignored.

The weakest part of the system is finding a stable platform for the fire cup implementation. My current plan is to use the steel wire to suspend it when suitable rock/sand is unavailable, but I've still to prove that this will prove robust and reliable. I've drilled some holes along the rim for a two-point and a three-point wire suspension. And the cup is about 2.5 deciliter (7-8 ounces), not very big.

It is far from a full blown wilderness survival kit, but it can be part of one. The current setup would cover the water + fire part of a kit.

The connoiseur in me very much appreciate the wine opener on the swiss army knife. The wilderness preparation purist in me would very much like a more robust knife...

Oh, and did I mention dish washer safe and no seams?

All in all, I had great fun assembling this, which I think is rather out of the ordinary. I am eager to see if this survives the "proof of concept" stage of testing.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (02/11/10 12:27 PM)

#195627 - 02/11/10 01:53 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: MostlyHarmless]
GauchoViejo Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Argentina
quote "The wilderness preparation purist in me would very much like a more robust knife... "unquote.

I just bought a Victorinox SAK, the one with the black quick opening blade. It has a corkscrew instead of the regular philips screwdriver. The blade locks and the saw is amazing. Check it out, you may find what you are looking for.

#195701 - 02/12/10 12:29 AM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"The weakest part of the system is finding a stable platform for the fire cup implementation."

How about two flat strips of steel (~3/4" wide x 1/2" longer than the fire cup is wide), with a slot in the center of each to make an X, and four slots in the rim of the fire cup to accommodate the ends? Maybe a blob of solder near the end of each strip, to avoid shifting. Stores flat.

Sue

#195708 - 02/12/10 01:03 AM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: Susan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I doubt that finding, or preparing a flat patch of ground will be much of a problem outside of steep alpine or Big Wall terrain, where you would probably be better off with a hanging stove.

If you really want to carry something "for the fire cup implementation" little tripod gizmos are available, intended to enhance stability for cartridge stoves, that probably could be adapted. I prefer the Neanderthal implementation mode - "Ogg take rock, make ground flat, implement fire cup."

I do a lot of things in Neanderthal mode......

#195715 - 02/12/10 01:18 AM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: hikermor]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Thanks a lot for the replies.

Susan, I am confident your setup will work, but I don't like the idea of carrying it. I'm more along the lines of Hikermor's Neanderthal Mode. In the woods I would consider making a tripod from some sticks. It's always nice to have several options to the same effect.

#195873 - 02/14/10 09:28 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: MostlyHarmless]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

and too many pots!!!!

years searching for just the right pot for a kit and i sort of went overboard--in the end i'm making just the right one---

#195874 - 02/14/10 09:37 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
CD, you either need to set up a museum or a lending library. smile

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#195876 - 02/14/10 10:25 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

LOL - thanks for that.

Page 13 of 18 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 17 18 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 165 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.