Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 12 of 18 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
#195333 - 02/08/10 04:42 AM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: thseng]
miner Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Layton, Utah
Originally Posted By: thseng
Hmmmmmm... an Altoids tin size but open on the end...

I'm workin' on it, please stand by.

Any preference for Stainless vs. aluminum?

Stainless but would not complain if aluminum. But think those old metal Band-aid boxes (not Altoid sized). I'm thinking 3" by 5" by 1" or 1.5" (maybe 4" by 6" and 1" to 1.5" thick). The smallest side being the side that opens.

#195335 - 02/08/10 06:20 AM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: Teslinhiker]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Titanium coffee cups are great if all you ever use is a gas stove. Previous experience has proven that titanium cups over a wood campfire do warp after very little repeated use due to much higher heat that wood fire coals can reach compared to some petroleum based fuels

IIRC, titanium is a very poor conductor of heat. If its not heated evenly the Ti will probably warp due to the temp difference. That can happen easily with a those pocket butane stoves too cause they put out so much heat in a small burner. Anyway, I guess with Ti it might help to heat the pot as evenly as possible, but even then there's no guarantee it won't warp. I've never had a problem with warping but thats may be because I use an alcohol stove which doesn't burn too hot and heats slower.

#195336 - 02/08/10 07:14 AM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: thseng]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: thseng
Hmmmmmm... an Altoids tin size but open on the end...

I'm workin' on it, please stand by.

Any preference for Stainless vs. aluminum?

Great smile

I'm all for stainless.

#195343 - 02/08/10 02:52 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
CANOEDOGS - Looking forward to your completed "Ditch Kit" and post. Your kit is very similar to the "Ice Rescue Kit" that I have been working on for the past month.

The other thing about a 2 part sliding container is that you can use the top section and not have to tear the entire kit apart. This way you would have an EDC type of metal cooking pot that is available for use whenever you want (e.g. hot drink on the trail, rehydrate meals, sterilize water).

When I was a kid in shop class 30 years ago we had a large hydraulic press that we used to play with. Would it be possible to make a large die that a piece of sheet metal could be pressed into to creat a new container? Just "spit-balling" here, I have no real experience in actually doing this.

Mike

#195349 - 02/08/10 03:54 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: SwampDonkey]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Anyone owning these two cups:

http://www.campsaver.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=snp0026

http://www.rei.com/product/708071

I would be greatful to get the INSIDE measurments of them both.

Thank you!

#195350 - 02/08/10 04:02 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: hikermor]
miner Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Layton, Utah
Originally Posted By: hikermor
If you desire a seamless cup for continual use, as opposed to intermittent "survival" use, there are two options - 1)Stainless steel cups, preferably with folding handles, that fit snugly over the base of a Nalgene canteen - 2) titanium cups like the Snow Peak 700 - similar configuration and very tough and as light as aluminum. Titanium does not alter the taste of that nice cup of tea or whatever else you prepare in it. They are not cheap ($25+/-), but they will last forever.

I have a seamless stainless steel cup (actually holds about 2 cups) with folding handles that fits over a Nalgene bottle (It is a GSI Glacier Stainless Steel Cup - http://www.buzzmug.com/cart/shopexd.asp?id=202 ). I also have a seamless titanium cup with folding handles that too fits over a Nalgene bottle (it is a Snowpeak Trek 700 - http://www.snowpeak.com/back/cookware/titanium.html ). I use the Snowpeak as my backpacking pot and the GSI as a container for a wilderness survival kit (but this kit has to ride in a pack, not a pocket). Both are great for my uses. However, neither fits in a pocket very well (if at all).

Therefore, my wish is for a 3" by 5" or 4" by 6" or something in that range that is 1" to 1.5" thick. Rectangular shape with no seams or rolled edges that opens on the end (i.e. the smallest exterior surface), with a snug fitting lid, made from (in order of preference) titanium, stainless steel, or aluminum (definitely not tin), and with folding handles (similar to my above mentioned cups). This container would then be used to assemble an EDC kit.

I've looked and looked and am pretty sure that such a container does not exist, but I'm still holding out hope. The cut down hip flask is probably the closest I've seen and I may end up trying that at some point if my dream container does not soon become available.

#195355 - 02/08/10 04:22 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: Herman30]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Herman30
Anyone owning these two cups:

http://www.campsaver.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=snp0026

http://www.rei.com/product/708071

I would be greatful to get the INSIDE measurments of them both.

Thank you!

On the Snow Peak 700

Top to bottom 4 and 1/4"

across at top just a hair under 4"

across at bottom 3 and 3/4"

#195369 - 02/08/10 06:23 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I hope you guys show some nice, clear photos when your brainstorms are worked out. Be sure to use some good lighting.

And start a new thread for them, so they aren't overlooked.

Sue

#195384 - 02/08/10 09:11 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: Susan]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Here's what I have so far:

1" x 2" x 3.5" deep (~1/2 cup)
1.4" x 3" x 3.75" deep (~1 cup)
1.75 x 3.5" x 4.25" deep (~1.75 cups)

Available in aluminum and stainless. Rectangular, seamless, radiused corneres, plain edge, not rolled. Shallow lid, probably need to be held-on and sealed with tape. No handles yet.

These are "standard" sizes but made to order. No idea if the price and lot quantities are sane yet, but if they are I may just order up a few batches.

I'll keep you posted.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#195388 - 02/08/10 10:18 PM Re: ...and a pot. [Re: thseng]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
I have been playing with an idea and some dremel rotary tools: Stainless steel mugs (cups) which essentially are just two layers of stainless steel with air in between. No seams, at least not on the inside. I got mine from the local gas station (they're trying to get loyal customers by selling "free coffee refill cups" for about $15, valid for a year at the time), but similar cups are available in a lot of places.

Anyway, my cup is a cylinder about 4-5 inches tall and just a tad smaller than 2 inches across. I did some dremel art and it turned out to something that may prove functional. Remains to be tested and verified.

The general idea is that the outer shell is a small fire chamber. The inner cup is for boiling, heating water and melting snow. The inner cup is put back into the outer shell when not in use, kept in place by friction created by a thick rubber band between those two layers. The inner cup retains about half an inch of the outer layer near the top, so I can put my mouth to it as usual. It even has the original drinking lid and handle!

Now the fire part - works, no mystery, but the overall setup is kind of fiddly. You will have to either support the fire cup part by rocks or suspend it beneath a branch (some thin steel wire rests in the void between those two shells for this purpose). The inner part will either rest directly on the outer part or be suspended. I've drilled a couple of holes for suspension in both parts. I've also cut a fire door and some ventilation slots in the outer shell. Around the cup I've wrapped some bicycle tubes (cut and glued to fit, this "ranger band" thing is a mystery to me). This rubber sleeve will keep my pack clean and is also backup tinder. And - the cup still looks and serves as an ordinary cup!

I'm assembling a small fire making kit and perhaps some other goodies to fit inside the cup - after all, it has a few cubic inches of space inside, and it is the logical place to put some fire making goodies, right?

Now all that remains is a) pictures, b) further field testing. The cup is small enough to fit a jacket pocket, sort of, and virtually ignored in a pack. I THINK this setup can turn out to be a nice and permanent part of my hiking setup, but further tests are needed.

The nicest thing about this setup is that - often you want to bring a cup anyway, right? Any chance of coffee? You bring a cup! Might just as well be creative about it... my little cup has some secrets..

Page 12 of 18 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 17 18 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 191 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.