Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#195143 - 02/05/10 02:31 PM Re: Historic snowfall - N/E I-95 Corridor [Re: Andy]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
NWS is calling for 20-28" in Central MD. Hatches battened, everything is ready. Heck, I'm even at work today. I hope my wife lets me go out and play in it tomorrow. My truck is enjoying the unusually snowy winter...

#195144 - 02/05/10 02:35 PM Re: Historic snowfall - N/E I-95 Corridor [Re: Andy]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
So very nice to live in the middle of the city when a big snow hits. Several corner markets within half a mile have the basics for those who don't want to brave parking lots at supermarkets. Walkable coffee shops, restaurants, delis and diners are cozy places to sit and watch the snow fall outside. Snowshoeing on the National Mall.

Neighborhood friends and I have already planned for group meals -- stew tomorrow, chili, a walk to the local barbeque place today. Who has what in case of power failure. When the dogs will get together for the Snow Bowl at a local schoolyard....

Sympathies and best wishes to those who for whatever reason feel they must be on the highways during the storm. Drive extra cautiously and prepare to be stuck in traffic jams or snow drifts for many, many hours.

To those of us hunkering down at home, who still have the benefit of electricity: enjoy!

You can bet a million bucks that I will be posting a lot of photos in the next 24 hours. Assuming I have electricity and Internet (which in all likelihood I will as it is very rare for to have outages in my zip code because the power lines are underground).

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalweathergang/?hpid=topnews

Not just major but most likely historic snow is approaching. Please take this potentially dangerous storm seriously. Snow will start between mid-morning and mid-day, slowly lowering the temperature to around freezing. Mixed precipitation may accompany the light, beginning period of the storm. Slowly through the afternoon and early evening the snow will accumulate. But the bulk of the storm's fury will come after dark when snow rates over an inch per hour are likely. Snowfall intensity will diminish Saturday afternoon, slowly. But breezes will pickup, creating cold wind-chilled air. The impact of this storm will be felt for long after snow ceases by Saturday evening.

#195152 - 02/05/10 03:41 PM Re: Historic snowfall - N/E I-95 Corridor [Re: Dagny]
Meadowlark Offline

Loc: Northern Colorado
I wonder if it'll beat the Knickerbocker storm of '22? That one was pretty historic.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalweathergang/2008/01/the_great_knickerbocker_snowst_1.html

Stay safe....
My knapsack on my back

Current kits: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=241840

#195157 - 02/05/10 04:43 PM Re: Historic snowfall - N/E I-95 Corridor [Re: Meadowlark]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

They just upped the forecast for DC to 20"-30"

The view out the windows is going to be a lot different Saturday morning than when we go to sleep tonight. The super heavy snowfall is supposed to occur overnight.

The news is showing video of supermarkets -- milk and meat all gone or nearly depleted. One manager of a Giant supermarket said his business is up ten times normal.

I don't think it's that people are panicked, though some clearly need groceries. Kids are going to be home for every meal for at least a few days, and no doubt snacking out of boredom. Gotta have bread for sandwiches. Adults want beer, can't risk running out of coffee, need the 1/2 & 1/2.

These storms also are an opportunity to cook some big meals - big breakfasts, comfort foods. I'm hankering for chili.

And the Super Bowl was already going to make groceries busier than usual.

This is an interesting drill on supermarkets staying stocked in the face of an onslaught of customers and a looming transportation problem.

Off to the barbeque joint now. Think I'll buy a little extra for tomorrow, and Sunday....

#195159 - 02/05/10 05:07 PM Re: Historic snowfall - N/E I-95 Corridor [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Somehow leftovers always taste better. Get extra for Gidget's doggy bag smile cool

#195162 - 02/05/10 05:19 PM Re: Historic snowfall - N/E I-95 Corridor [Re: Dagny]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I am the Technical Rescue Duty Officer for the weekend and just received this from our EMO:

A conference call just concluded with the National Weather Service:
The snowfall forecast is now up to between 20 and 30 inches, with 30+ inches possible in higher elevations. Between 10pm tonight and 4am the forecasters are expecting 20 to 30 mph winds with snowfall that could be 2 to 3 inches an hour creating blizzard conditions. The liquid equivalent for this storm forecast is 2 to 3 inches of rain, which puts it as comparable to the largest storms of record for both Baltimore (President’s Day 2003) and Washington (Knickerbocker storm 1922).
Frederick County snow emergency plan went into effect at 9am, concurrent with Governor O’Malley’s declaration of a State of Emergency (attached). State and County highway staff have been pre-treating roadways since earlier this morning in preparation for the storm.
As a reminder for those organization who will be active during this emergency to track your costs carefully, as it is likely that there will be a disaster assistance request submitted by the Governor to FEMA. The last graphic on the email shows the “storms of record” for Baltimore and Washington. Forecasters are advising that the amount of precipitation could easily approach/break the record established by the “Knickerbocker storm” in 1922/President’s Day storm of 2003.
Additional status reports will be provided periodically throughout the storm. The next NWS conference call is at 6pm tonight.

Pete

#195167 - 02/05/10 06:50 PM Re: Historic snowfall - N/E I-95 Corridor [Re: paramedicpete]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
I am the Technical Rescue Duty Officer for the weekend and just received this from our EMO:

Pete

To Pete and all the other folks who have to go out in such dangerous conditions please be careful and stay safe. Everybody else should stay the heck home if at all possible.

The Feds are letting their folks in DC go home early. My folks are also getting kicked out of the office now.

Looks like a good weekend to sit home and watch my newly arrived box set of Farscape DVD's. I'm such a nerd...

#195172 - 02/05/10 07:31 PM Re: Historic snowfall - N/E I-95 Corridor [Re: Andy]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Latest from National Weather Service:

LOOKING BACK AT THE BIGGEST STORM OF RECORD FOR WASHINGTON DC... THE JANUARY 1922 KNICKERBOCKER STORM...28.0 INCHES OF SNOW WAS
PRODUCED FROM 3.02 INCHES OF LIQUID WATER.

CURRENT FORECASTS FOR THIS EVENT HAVE TOTAL LIQUID FALLING FROM THIS STORM APPROACHING 3 INCHES...WHICH ACCORDINGLY WOULD CREATE A SNOWFALL THAT WILL RIVAL THE KNICKERBOCKER STORM TOTAL. GENERALLY ACROSS THE REGION...20 TO 30 INCHES OF SNOW WILL FALL BY SATURDAY EVENING.

#195179 - 02/05/10 08:12 PM Re: Historic snowfall - N/E I-95 Corridor [Re: Dagny]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Do take plenty of pictures! It sounds like this storm will be great story telling material for years to come. I wish I had taken a LOT more pictures of our ice storm a couple of years ago. Take care of yourself.

(Off to shop for a pocketable camera that I might actually keep with me instead of wishing I had my SLR.)

#195180 - 02/05/10 08:36 PM Re: Historic snowfall - N/E I-95 Corridor [Re: Dagny]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Dagny
Latest from National Weather Service:

LOOKING BACK AT THE BIGGEST STORM OF RECORD FOR WASHINGTON DC... THE JANUARY 1922 KNICKERBOCKER STORM...28.0 INCHES OF SNOW WAS
PRODUCED FROM 3.02 INCHES OF LIQUID WATER.

CURRENT FORECASTS FOR THIS EVENT HAVE TOTAL LIQUID FALLING FROM THIS STORM APPROACHING 3 INCHES...WHICH ACCORDINGLY WOULD CREATE A SNOWFALL THAT WILL RIVAL THE KNICKERBOCKER STORM TOTAL. GENERALLY ACROSS THE REGION...20 TO 30 INCHES OF SNOW WILL FALL BY SATURDAY EVENING.

I really love Texas. You don't need to shovel sunshine and heavy rains just flow away...
-Blast, who was there for the blizzard of '93
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.