Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#195488 - 02/10/10 04:27 AM Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit [Re: BruceZed]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Bruce Z..92 days!!..do you have a link to a blog or something about that?.

#195505 - 02/10/10 12:04 PM Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit [Re: Roarmeister]
urbansurvivalist Offline

Loc: Asheville, NC
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
[CPR barrier - how well do you know your hiking partner, you may not really need it. What are you protecting yourself from?

I know that this item is something I will probably never need. However if I ever run across someone who needs CPR(not necessarily my hiking partner), chances are it won't be a pretty sight- I'm talking blood, vomit, etc. I'd hate to have to choose between performing cpr and someone with a messy trauma(possibly to the face), and denying care. I'm not very squeamish, but I remember enough pictures from training that I never want to face that dilemma.

I used to also think that CPR in the backcountry is pointless, and most of the time that's probably true. But apparently(from what I'm told) the exception is when someone is struck by lightning, in which case it is possible to perform CPR and have the patient spontaneously recover. And lightning is a very real possibility in the backcountry, especially near the tops of mountains.

You made some great points, and I've already removed some of those items, and I'm sure I'll make more adjustments to my gear in general on the trail. Again I'll post an updated inventory soon.

While writing this post, I just came up with an interesting idea, that either brilliant or really stupid: I had already decided to skip the sawyer extractor, but it just occurred to me that my water filter is a pump which can produce fairly strong suction! I could just bring along the tips from the sawyer extractor, and by attaching it to the water filter tubing where the prefilter normally goes, I have an instant suction device that is probably at least as strong as the sawyer. I think the tips are the perfect size to fit the tubing, but I'll have to experiment to make sure.

There are 2 drawbacks I see to this:
1- this would require at least 2 hands to use, so may not work for self-aid,
2- because of contamination issues with the water filter, This should probably only be done for a life-threatening snakebite or scorpion bite, and not for more minor insect stings that the sawyer could potentially be used for.

#195518 - 02/10/10 02:39 PM Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit [Re: urbansurvivalist]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: urbansurvivalist

There are 2 drawbacks I see to this:
1- this would require at least 2 hands to use, so may not work for self-aid,
2- because of contamination issues with the water filter, This should probably only be done for a life-threatening snakebite or scorpion bite, and not for more minor insect stings that the sawyer could potentially be used for.

There is another drawback. Suction doesn't work (I know that sucks). At least that is my understanding. Case studies show that suction is ineffective. The best course is to remain as immobile as possible and get to an ER (contradictory, I know). Most snakebites are not life-threatening; scorpion stings are even less so - the only fatalities I know of were to very young children.

If you use even minimal precautions (avoid placing your hands and feet in areas you can't see) and you are not deliberately messing with the critters, your chances of being struck by lightning exceed those of being snake bitten.

#195534 - 02/10/10 04:46 PM Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit [Re: hikermor]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Ineffective after 3 minutes smile
Sawyer Extractor Test - ETS Forums
http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=142543

#195911 - 02/15/10 03:41 PM Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
jrak Offline
Stranger

If you hike by yourself and don't pack a signaling mirror, I would suggest carrying one in your first aid pack. I fell near the top of a 14,000 foot peak some time ago and cut my chin. The mirror allowed me to see what I was doing as I cleaned the wound and applied several butterfly bandages. It eventually took 7 sutures to treat the injury and the emergency room physician complimented me on how well I had applied the bandages.

I also find a mirror handy for removing debris from the eye when no one else is available to assist.

#195913 - 02/15/10 05:01 PM Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit [Re: urbansurvivalist]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I remember someone doing a survey ow AT through hikers and what they carried. Might be a very useful resource for what is necessary and what works.

TRO

PS PLB? Its great insurance.

#195918 - 02/15/10 07:25 PM Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit [Re: TeacherRO]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Off the top of my head, my FAK is VERY short-but, seeing as it will likely be for nothing more than minor cut repair, it neednt be a trauma kit:

A handful of bandages, regular size, and a few knuckle ones
Some cloth tape
Alcohol wipes
Compression gauze
A few large gauze bandages
Nitrile gloves

All of that fits in a ziplock bag. I also have a small sewing kit & a SAK in there. Thats it. If I break a leg, or twist an ankle, I cannot fix either, and I dont really need to carry items to deal with those things.

You are looking at blisters, small cuts, scrapes, and possibly burns, as your likliest of injuries. Unless you're a medic, you will likely not need 90% of the stuff in a FAK.

I also take some meds too; Advil, and allergy meds, as appropriate. All OTC stuff.

Remember, you are performing FIRST aid-the idea is that you prevent FURTHER damage until you can get to someone who can fix you smile

Edited by oldsoldier (02/15/10 07:27 PM)

#196168 - 02/19/10 04:34 PM Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit [Re: oldsoldier]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sunscreen / Dug dope

#196170 - 02/19/10 04:55 PM Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
To return to the OP's question: Just remember that every time you use your FAK, it gets lighter. That, combined with blood and tissue loss can easily result in net savings of 4 oz or even more.

These are significant quantities to an ultralight fanatic, believe me.

#196177 - 02/19/10 06:17 PM Re: Need help lightening my First Aid Kit [Re: hikermor]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Mostly my FAK for short hikes and car camping has amounted to a few handkerchiefs, moleskin, and some OTC meds. Duct tape is already present so no need for any medical tape.

These days I am thinking I might add to that some, but not by all that much. IMO, a normal FAK should fit in a sandwich size zip lock bag. If it does not, then you have too much stuff.

But, that's just my opinion, FWIW, and I am a guy that would bring a thermos of coffee with him on a 2 or 3 hour hike. smile

Bob

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 251 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.