Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#195106 - 02/04/10 07:51 PM Yellowstone?
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
OK, so I'm not usually one to worry about mega-disasters. Though I suppose a big hurricane hitting New York qualifies in some senses. However. . .

My brother just got back from a trip to Yellowstone. (Great trip - saw elk, bison, coyotes, wolves, and all sorts of cool geological features.) During the four days he was there, he reports that there were five hundred (500!!!) small earthquakes. Additionally, patterns in the geysers were changing - some becoming more frequent, some less, and some erupting in places where non had been previously.

I've always assumed that an eruption of the Yellowstone Caldera would qualify as a Very Bad Thing but never gave it too much thought.

So, for those who have done more research, is this something that I should be more concerned about? Is this change in seismic activity out of the ordinary? Any thought on what it means?

Jesselp, feeling a bit apocalyptic.

Edited by Jesselp (02/05/10 03:24 PM)
Edit Reason: Spelling. Thanks Sue. . .

#195108 - 02/04/10 08:00 PM Re: Yellowstone? [Re: Jesselp]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
I posted this recent article in another thread.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/01/science/01yellowstone.html

Apparently there has been a significant increase in the number of earthquakes, but its not unprecedented. Worth keeping an eye on.

#195109 - 02/04/10 08:12 PM Re: Yellowstone? [Re: Jesselp]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
A little research goes a long way. . .

Press Release
University of Utah Seismograph Stations

Released: February 03, 2010 10:00 AM MST

This release is a continuation of information updates building upon our five previous press releases on the ongoing earthquake swarm on the west side of Yellowstone National Park.

The University of Utah Seismograph Stations reports that a period of increased seismic activity occurred on February 2, 2010 beginning at ~3:30 PM MST. This period of increased activity lasted about 6 hours and included at least 2 events that were reported felt in Yellowstone National Park. The two largest earthquakes during this sequence were magnitude 3.1 and 2.8 that occurred at 7:31 PM and 7:44 PM respectively.

These earthquakes are part of an ongoing swarm in Yellowstone National Park that began January 17, 2010 (1:00 PM MST). The largest earthquake in the swarm as of 7 AM MST, February 03, 2010, has been a magnitude 3.8. There have been 1,719 located earthquakes in the swarm of magnitude 0.3 to 3.8. This includes 14 events of magnitude larger than 3, with 135 events of magnitude 2 to 3, and 1,570 events of magnitude less than 2. There have been multiple personal reports of ground shaking from observers inside the Park and in surrounding areas for some of the larger events (for felt reports, please visit http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/dyfi/). Earthquake swarms are relatively common in Yellowstone.

Yellowstone Volcano Observatory scientists still consider that the swarm events are likely the result of slip on pre-existing faults and are not thought to be caused by underground movement of magma. Currently there is no indication of premonitory volcanic or hydrothermal activity, but ongoing observations and analyses will continue to evaluate these different sources.

Seismic information on the earthquake can be viewed at the University of Utah Seismograph Stations: http://www.seis.utah.edu/.

Seismograph recordings from stations of the Yellowstone seismograph network can be viewed online at: http://quake.utah.edu/helicorder/yell_webi.htm.

Anyone who has felt earthquakes in the swarm are encouraged to fill out a form on the USGS Community Felt reports web site: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/dyfi/.

This press release was prepared by the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory partners of the U.S. Geol. Survey, the University of Utah, and the National Park Service: http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/yvo/

#195117 - 02/04/10 11:08 PM Re: Yellowstone? [Re: Jesselp]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
A bug hurricane would be AWFUL! They would be splattered all over those billions of windows in the skyscrapers. Of course, it would keep the window cleaning companies busy for some time to come.

Sue laugh

#195121 - 02/05/10 12:07 AM Re: Yellowstone? [Re: Susan]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Yellowstone having a fit in the worse way possible would be bad, very bad, biblical-scale bad, the end of days, game over, bad for most of the US and the better part of Mexico. It could also throw the levers of climate the other way for decades, perhaps a generation. At least one source suggests that there would be global cooling, a possible die-off, perhaps an ice age. It would change things globally for a time.

The good news is that, based on the evidence I've seen, not that I'm a geologist, it doesn't look highly likely any time soon. But lots of people are watching. The USGS and US government earthquake centers are good sources of reliable information.

A useful site that is following the situation and doing a good job of explaining:
http://scienceblogs.com/eruptions/2010/02/the_structure_of_calderas.php

#195125 - 02/05/10 01:53 AM Re: Yellowstone? [Re: Susan]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Susan
A bug hurricane would be AWFUL! They would be splattered all over those billions of windows in the skyscrapers. Of course, it would keep the window cleaning companies busy for some time to come.

Sue laugh

Holy crap. How in the world do you prepare for a bug hurricane!??

#195137 - 02/05/10 02:02 PM Re: Yellowstone? [Re: LED]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: LED

Sue laugh

With a scraper, a bowl and a spoon.
-Blast grin
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#195140 - 02/05/10 02:22 PM Re: Yellowstone? [Re: Blast]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
Originally Posted By: Blast
-Blast grin

jeez you are just too tough. I would at least want some seasonings, tobasco or something... As long as you are talking about preparing...

#195141 - 02/05/10 02:23 PM Re: Yellowstone? [Re: Blast]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
Originally Posted By: Blast
Originally Posted By: LED

Sue laugh

-Blast grin

And a lot of hot sauce! laugh
I have an extra.

#195145 - 02/05/10 02:47 PM Re: Yellowstone? [Re: EchoingLaugh]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
...and some blue cheese for that bowl of "wings"...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.