Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#194947 - 02/02/10 11:30 AM Re: Backpacking light--deodorant over knife & fire? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
IF this guy doesn't stray from known well traveled trails...

IF this guy doesn't encounter any severe weather conditions...

If this guy doesn't mind depending on the largesse of other hikers he meets who will be more than happy to help him out of difficult situations...

IF this guy likes to brag that he hiked 35 miles in one day along the trail, basically seeing nothing because he had his head down plowing along like a freight train...

If this guy doesn't mind being laughed at by "normal" people...

and finally

IF this guy doesn't mind being basically miserable his entire time in the wood...

Then yes, this guy's wilderness philosphy is perfect, for him.

Personally, I wouldn't go into the woods with this guy. Wait, he doesn't really go camping anyhow. God forbid he left the trail, except to go use his 6 sheets of single ply potty paper.

Ok, enough typing, I am going to save 1.2 oz by tearing the labels off the underwear I normally pack.

#194955 - 02/02/10 01:10 PM Re: Backpacking light--deodorant over knife & fire? [Re: JBMat]
GauchoViejo Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Argentina
I really don't mind this guy's choices of equipment. He is exercising his right to play Russian roulette. However, I find it totally irresponsible to publish this kind of "advice". It may mean suffering or death for unexperienced hikers.

#194965 - 02/02/10 02:27 PM Re: Backpacking light--deodorant over knife & fire? [Re: JBMat]
greytruck444
Unregistered

Like a lot of other people here, I had an epiphany:
This person is on a self powered tour. He or she walks well established trails, while hauling minimal gear because each night is spent in the safety of a campground, every couple of days they stop at a post-office to resupply, and forward their real 'camping' loadout to the next stop. Bet they carry a cellphone or maybe a SPOT. Their choice to eat crushed snail-trail mix a couple of times a day. Eating that stuff, they only need the minimal TP, as it's likely only a twice a week habit for them. In a bad weather event, they know they have rations, warmth, and shelter to hole up for awhile. It's not survival as most interpret it. Survival is acting to get yourself out of whatever situation you find yourself in, these people revel in travelling by foot with as little as possible, but with a support system for resupply.

You too could do it with even less gear by making reservations at hotels along your route, and send packages addressed to you, at those locations, leapfrogging the packages, if you timed everything right, you could sleep in a warm room, in a bed, and have the luxury of running hot water daily.
You could pack pajamas in your boxes, so you'd always be able to
do laundry. You could take advantage of the sink and wash clothes, and possibly dry them with a hair dryer, rather than lug them around to air dry.
If you scheduled it right, you could even have a couple of hot meals cooked by others for your benefit.
All you might need is the clothes on your back, a fanny pack or purse to haul water bottles, cellphone, snack bars and credit cards. But it's not survival.

#195013 - 02/03/10 12:51 AM Re: Backpacking light--deodorant over knife & fire? [Re: ]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
I would rather smell bad and have the knife than smell good and need the knife. But maybe it's just my animal magnetism...

My knife and my firesteel would be the first things I would grab and the last I would give up.

#195024 - 02/03/10 07:15 AM Re: Backpacking light--deodorant over knife & fire? [Re: Tarzan]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
It just occurred to me: NOTHING smells worse than rancid, old sweaty synthetic inner garments. Replace with wool underwear and the unpleasentness of the stench is reduced by a factor of 100. Other benefits are increased insulation when wet and excellent fire resistance.

#195031 - 02/03/10 03:54 PM Re: Backpacking light--deodorant over knife & fire [Re: ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A well sharpened Classic is surprisingly capable. I EDC one on my keychain, along with a Leatherman Wave in a belt pouch. I often use the Classic because it is just a little more convenient, and it works quite well. I do sharpen it from time to time.

I firmly believe that big knives are over rated - too many Rambo movies.

#195043 - 02/03/10 07:30 PM Re: Backpacking light--deodorant over knife & fire [Re: hikermor]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
Only carrying an SAK classic is part of ultra-light hiking dogma.Carrying anything bigger then that gets you dismissed from the UL religion.

#195045 - 02/03/10 07:48 PM Re: Backpacking light--deodorant over knife & fire [Re: tomfaranda]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
I,ve read that back packers use deodorant for more than smelling good.The stick type deodorants are good for reducing chaffing and blisters on feet.Just something I heard and read.

BOATMAN
John

#195047 - 02/03/10 07:51 PM Re: Backpacking light--deodorant over knife & fire [Re: boatman]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Knee high nylons also reduce chafing and blisters, however don't do a darn thing for the way you smell.

Never understood the UL religion myself. So what they can hike 30 miles in a day? What do they see besides the trail.

Life's a journey, not a destination.

#195048 - 02/03/10 08:05 PM Re: Backpacking light--deodorant over knife & fire [Re: JBMat]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
What really burns my @$$ is the author is recommending to knew hikers not to carry necessary gear because they can bum it from others on the trail. Bad enough he would consider this a viable and acceptable alternative, but now he is propagating the same line of thinking in others. Hopefully a bad accident when he was younger has left him unable to reproduce. Stupid makes me sick.

EDIT: Not directed at you JB, but the author of the article.

Edited by Mark_Frantom (02/03/10 08:06 PM)

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 281 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.