Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#194903 - 02/02/10 02:06 AM Re: How eco friendly is your BOB? Does it matter? [Re: LED]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Most of the piece was a thoughtful review of a commercial kit, and ways to improve it or build your own that's better (and maybe greener). The last paragraph was tacked on to keep the editors happy; it had no real substance. Oh well, so it goes.

The life you lead at home determines 99.5% of your environmental impact; an emergency situation is hopefully a brief aberration. IMO, many environmentally responsible measures (using energy wisely, being less reliant on the day-to-day food and energy grids, buying durable goods, and not consuming more than you really need) go hand in hand with the subjects we discuss on this forum.

BTW, I always read the Treehugger Weekly Archives. They bring up all sorts of ideas, companies and technologies that are both useful and interesting to me. Being a grown-up, I can filter through the occasionally childish pronouncements without losing my cool.

#194926 - 02/02/10 04:31 AM Re: How eco friendly is your BOB? Does it matter? [Re: hikermor]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> If she can't handle a thirty pound pack, preferably one whose straps won't
> rip, she should get in shape.

Keep in mind that _some_ of us can't get in shape. :->

#194930 - 02/02/10 05:04 AM Re: How eco friendly is your BOB? Does it matter? [Re: philip]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
My first thought on the topic was about feasibility of a biodegradable bug out bag smile

Seriously, IMHO, BOB content must be environmentally friendly by definition. You shouldn't have any reason to throw out even a smallest piece from it. If you do - that means your BOB is far from optimal (Okay, let's exclude the TP from the rule).

#194937 - 02/02/10 06:26 AM Re: How eco friendly is your BOB? Does it matter? [Re: Alex]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
A BOB that is chosen to be environmentally friendly is just ahead of one that is politically correct, IMO.

Sue

#194952 - 02/02/10 12:47 PM Re: How eco friendly is your BOB? Does it matter? [Re: Susan]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
Environmentally friendly is what you see envivonmentally as. If you seee that burning a tree or paper is bad because it puts CO2 in the environment, you probably wont last so long. If you see that littering is bad, you are quite a bit smarted because in an emergency situation, NOTHING is trash, unless it is a cheap/ripped back pack! (and toilet paper, unless-- I know its nasty but if it is used and you have a bag available, use it as tinder or kindling. it would probably stink though!!

Anyone elses view on this^?

Edited by sybert777 (02/02/10 12:50 PM)

#194953 - 02/02/10 01:00 PM Re: How eco friendly is your BOB? Does it matter? [Re: philip]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: philip
>

Keep in mind that _some_ of us can't get in shape. :->

You do make an excellent point, but the those who can't get in shape comprise a very small percentage of our rather sedentary population.

We don't talk about it much, but fitness is a definite factor in survival preparedness.

On the other hand, considering the inhumanely cheap pack she was using, thirty pounds would feel much better in almost anything else.

#194956 - 02/02/10 01:13 PM Re: How eco friendly is your BOB? Does it matter? [Re: sybert777]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: sybert777
If you see that littering is bad, you are quite a bit smarted because in an emergency situation, NOTHING is trash, unless it is a cheap/ripped back pack! (and toilet paper, unless-- I know its nasty but if it is used and you have a bag available, use it as tinder or kindling.

Agreed, nothing is trash! Used toilet paper is fertilizer, not trash. Bury it somewhere moist and not too deep, that will speed up the process. Don't let it flap around, that is just plain disgusting. Or you could burn it: Collect it in the dirtiest, nastiest container/bag and toss it on the fire.

You COULD use it as kindling, but I would rather try to find nicer alternatives - those would be better for both the personal morale and the personal hygiene.

#194963 - 02/02/10 01:53 PM Re: How eco friendly is your BOB? Does it matter? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
We must remember, she is on the left coast, home to fruits and nuts. The country is tilted and all the loose nuts roll west.

That being said, I am about as eco friendly as the next guy... well, depending on who the next guy is. But in a situation where I have to grab my BOB and go, I am more worried about being "Preserve butt" friendly" than worried if I am stepping on a rare plant or squishing some next extinct toad.

Most of pre-prepared kits sold on the internet and in stores are cheapo crap. The most sensible thing to do is determine what you need, buy quality goods that will last, carry no more than you need/have to have and know how to use what you have.

#194970 - 02/02/10 03:21 PM Re: How eco friendly is your BOB? Does it matter? [Re: philip]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I try to be a very responsible consumer and take environmentalism into concern in my daily life. That has carried over into my BOB, but more in the way of ideas that most here have expressed already. I purchased good solid equipment that I'll hold on to, rechargeable NiMH Batteries and freeplay devices, and by the thought that most things can have multiple purposes.

Sure, there are a few things that will be left behind for hundreds or thousands of years after I and most of my equipment has decomposed; such as plastic buckles, knife scales and such; but overall it's minimal.

Edited by Nicodemus (02/02/10 08:49 PM)

#194974 - 02/02/10 03:53 PM Re: How eco friendly is your BOB? Does it matter? [Re: Nicodemus]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

1. No d cells
2. more water
3. better backpack. If you want to go green, buy it used from Goodwill
4. No cell phone charger?

Edited by TeacherRO (02/03/10 02:19 AM)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.