Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#194982 - 02/02/10 06:02 PM Re: Time to make a Flood Condition Checklist??? [Re: harstad]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
Originally Posted By: harstad
... using google maps shows where the various flood zones are and at what height a a certain point floods.
https://hazards.fema.gov/femaportal/wps/portal/NFHLWMSkmzdownload

I like this. Trying it now.

#194992 - 02/02/10 08:14 PM Re: Time to make a Flood Condition Checklist??? [Re: clarktx]
harstad Offline
Journeyman

Yeah this link works. Shows where major flooding would happen. Very nice.

https://hazards.fema.gov/femaportal/kmz/Stay_Dry_v2.0.kmz

#195017 - 02/03/10 02:32 AM Re: Time to make a Flood Condition Checklist??? [Re: harstad]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
I also live in the Mississippi flood basin. My suggestion would be to relocate as much as you can upstairs closer to FloodCon4.

My reasoning is this: you have time to do so, without as much pressure or fear. Also most of they guys I know would laugh and call me a nervous nelly, but come help. If you wait until later you and your family will have to schlep it all yourselves, as everyone else is doing the same.

Couple of observations,

prices go up in any panic. In '08 a gallon of water went from around .80cents to a little over a dollar. Stock and fill gaps before people get scared and prices rise. Tying in with that, when people get scared they buy more. When it snows here, stores sell out of shovels and salt. People wait to the last minute because "Walmart always has ...."

Last, might seem kinda dirty but make friends with a somebody on the levee. I was on the levee in '08 from laying plastic up to the convicts starting the clean up. I learned a tremendous amount listening to the guys there. most had been there the last major flood ('93) I knew what was going on on my stretch of levee daily (Patrol), and listened to the "Boss." He told me when to worry, and when we were "being safe." I had a couple of friends that called me pretty much everyday for an update. A source that actually knows the conditions and/or has access to a real world view is a pretty good asset. IMO the Army Corp are not impressive here. Most seem to be educated but no common sense. But my opinion is pretty biased, I had to pull them out of the same mud too many times. How many times do you need to drive into a mudhole before you figure out that your truck ain't gonna make it?
I have an extra.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 446 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.