Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#194827 - 02/01/10 05:59 PM Time to make a Flood Condition Checklist???
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
For those of us living along the Mississippi River Basin and all of it's tributaries, I think I will start finalizing my Flood Contingency Plan while I am home the next time.

There is a lot of water in the rivers now and it is not going to go down very much before the April Showers and snow melt starts to build it back up again as the "June Rise".

IMO, the levees are not in the best of shape. The area around Lake Providence, La is a known weakspot and there are several of us that are truly concerned about a levee breaking in that area. That would create quite a mess in the state of Louisiana!!

My current line of thinking is:

1) Get flood insurance (takes 30 days to go into effect).

2) Look at maps and predict most likely flood lanes from a possible failure at Lake Providence, La and Morganza, La.

3) Look at all possible escape routes.

4) Do the research and come up with a FloodCon Checklist, including key decision making points concerning Bug Out Decision Making Points.

5) I think this post places me in FloodCon 5, making basic preparations!

#194831 - 02/01/10 06:44 PM Re: Time to make a Flood Condition Checklist??? [Re: wildman800]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
6) Get a boat, and store unhooked from the trailer, and tied off to a high spot on a tree or house ???

#194833 - 02/01/10 07:04 PM Re: Time to make a Flood Condition Checklist??? [Re: Todd W]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Interesting idea, but with a rise in water of such a level there is going to be a lot of debris headed downstream that may destroy the boat or take it on its way.

Perhaps a boat could be tied on the downstream side of the house. Maybe it's safer to keep an inflatable on the second floor of the house, but I think the best plan is to get out before there's a need for a boat.

I'm afraid that I've never lived in a flood plane, and don't know what to do about a boat for such emergencies. I'll be interested in what more experienced people have to say about the idea.

#194836 - 02/01/10 07:30 PM Re: Time to make a Flood Condition Checklist??? [Re: Nicodemus]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Originally Posted By: Nicodemus
Maybe it's safer to keep an inflatable on the second floor of the house...

Reminds me of 'The Miller's Tale' from Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. Those of you who remember the story know why I don't go into any detail. blush

#194839 - 02/01/10 07:46 PM Re: Time to make a Flood Condition Checklist??? [Re: Nicodemus]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
Thats very interesting. If a levee broke around Lake Providence, how quickly would you know, and how soon would the incoming water affect your escape routes? What kind of timing issues are involved there?

Factor in the exodus of other people and you have a very difficult situation.

So, I would think that you would want to learn about the fastest way to get news that a levee has broken. Preferably something quicker than the local TV news channel.

Its really a difficult thing to plan because lets say you find out quickly, and you hit the road before it hits the TV... but too late to outrun the exodus. That could be a bad situation for you too.

The best escape route might be one that stayed on high ground, even if its a longer exit...

#194842 - 02/01/10 08:02 PM Re: Time to make a Flood Condition Checklist??? [Re: clarktx]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Some very good points, as we have all learned from Katrina, Rita, Ike, etc, etc. The "Escape Routes" become clogged with traffic very quickly. The decision to Bug Out must be made BEFORE an evacuation is ordered by Emergency Management Offices, in order to be workable.

I have a lot more research to get accomplished before I tweak what I "pulled out of my butt" this afternoon.

I don't know exactly what route a flash flood from a broken levee at Lake Providence would take, although I have a general idea. Depending on whether such a break occurred during daylight or nighttime hours would determine if aIssued Warnings wiould be received in a timely fashion (best scenario) or in insufficient time to Bug Out (worst scenario).

Hang on Terxians cause if Lake Providence Levee were to break, you'd have a whole lot of Louisianians heading westward.

If a Levee broke at Morganza, La, folks would be scattering to the East and West!

#194843 - 02/01/10 08:02 PM Re: Time to make a Flood Condition Checklist??? [Re: wildman800]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Here's what I've come up with, thus far. I have a lot more research to do and future changes will reflect that research being completed.

Flood Condition Checklist

Updated: 01Fed10

FloodCon 5

1) Assume during late Winter to early Spring when Mississippi or nearby rivers are higher than normal because of early heavy rains and/or snawfall levels.

2) Review FloodCon Checklist.

3) Review status of Flood Insurance Levels. Procure Flood Insurance if needed.

4) Review Official Current Material Conditions of all pertinent Levee Systems.

FloodCon 4

1) Assume when local rivers or the Mississippi River have reached their official Flood Stages near weak points in the Levee System or near the homestead.

2) Review “Escape Routes” in case of Flash Flood Warnings when Heavy Rains are expected. If not already, Enroll with the state’s Emergency Management Automatic Emergency Conditions Email Notification System.

3) Review all Emergency Supply Inventories and fill any “gaps”.

4) Check River Stages and forecasts weekly (Mondays).

5) Keep Fuel Tank Levels above ½ full mark.

FloodCon 3

1) Assume when the US Army Corps of Engineers commence “24 Hr Levee Patrols”

2) Monitor Local News Broadcasts at least once daily.

3) Top off all BoB’s with consumables, meds, and papers.

4) Check the US Army Corps of Engineers Website daily, for Levee Condition Reports. Check River Stages and Forecasts daily.

FloodCon 2

1) Assume when Local or State Emergency Management Agencies start issuing warnings and/or issuing sandbags.

2) Check Email twice daily for State Emergency Management Warnings.

3) Load Bob’s into vehicles along with other “Emergency Equipment”.

4) Commence continuous monitoring of local news via TV or Radio, as appropriate.

5) Top off all vehicle fuel tanks and stored gas cans.

6) Decision Time: This is the time to decide if the threat is serious enough to the homestead to warrant Bugging Out or Bugging In.

FloodCon 1

1) Assume when an upstream levee breaks or it becomes obvious that water levels are going to affect the homestead, if Bugged in. Determine if Bugging Out is feasible and/or advisable under current conditions.

2) Prepare to secure electricity, water, and gas valves.

3) Prepare upstairs for occupancy by the family and as many friends as possible. Important: Locate an axe to the upstairs as well as Emergency Food, Water, all meds, important papers, Weps/Ammo, etc.

4) Relocate vehicles to higher ground, if possible.

5) Get as much furniture up as high as possible with spare cinder blocks.

#194911 - 02/02/10 02:36 AM Re: Time to make a Flood Condition Checklist??? [Re: wildman800]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
Wildman:

I think I would get a radio that could pick up your local Fire Department and police. They will probably be the first to know when there is a break and might be hours ahead of local TV and radio. You could also plug in the Freq of the local road conditions to find out which is getting overloaded and which are not.

#194958 - 02/02/10 01:29 PM Re: Time to make a Flood Condition Checklist??? [Re: big_al]
harstad Offline
Journeyman

Not sure but this might help. I havent used it but I think it links to google map layers and using google maps shows where the various flood zones are and at what height a a certain point floods. If thats not it Im sure is something out there that does this. Might be helpful on planning escape routes based on the best probability of the roads not being flooded.

https://hazards.fema.gov/femaportal/wps/portal/NFHLWMSkmzdownload

#194981 - 02/02/10 04:45 PM Re: Time to make a Flood Condition Checklist??? [Re: wildman800]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Wildman, keep in mind that flood waters, especially flash-flood waters, rise quickly. Even more so I would assume if something like a levee breaks. That's a lot of water that has to go somewhere. Also make sure your escape route doesn't end up taking you through an area that will be under water during a major flood. Our area experienced a major flood last year and a second minor flood a month later. Our house sits on high ground so we tend to bug in, but what really made me think was the fact that during the major flood, the road (the ONLY road) that we could use to bug out if something unexpected had happened was under water at either end. Even if we had needed to bug out in a vehicle we couldn't. Fortunately the water crested well before reaching even the foundation of our home and nothing else unexpected happened but it really made me think about our flood contingency plans. Can we afford to bug in the next time? What if DS, DW or myself had been badly injured? Or got really sick? A lot of what ifs and no easy answers.

Many people make the mistake of assuming the water simply rises during a flood. Don't forget there is a lot of force driving the water (with the possible exception of overflow or backwash areas, parts of what is sometimes referred to as the flood fringe) and, as someone mentioned, a lot of debris, especially in the stream channel and the areas of the floodway immediately adjacent to it. The force of the moving water and the debris usually preclude the use of boats other than in the flood fringe areas.

In my area and some others, there is also a danger of mudslides. During the minor flood I mentioned above a major mudslide just above the house blocked the road for several hours. Most of the time these slides cannot be anticipated, complicating the "when to bug in or bug out" equation, and certainly the floodcon checklist. Hopefully your area is not prone to mudslides, Wildman. Hope this helps.

edit: (Response to harstad) That would be the FEMA website here:

http://www.fema.gov/index.shtm

Edited by Mark_Frantom (02/02/10 04:47 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.