Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#194810 - 02/01/10 03:39 PM Re: Best Can or Metal Container to convert into a Pot? [Re: SwampDonkey]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Mike,

For the larger size, have you considered the lowly US GI canteen cup? The great part about that is you can find plenty of them used and cheap on evil-bay, as well as a ready supply of pouches for it to go in. Just make sure you get the utility pouches with an actual flap closure. Unfortunately these pouches may not come cheap. Cup in the bottom of the pouch, kit inside the cup inside the pouch, good to go (I have been thinking about one of these for myself). It sounds like you already have a pack for it (the fanny pack you mentioned) but it should still work for you. Not sure how easy it would be to add a bail but shouldn't be too difficult.

The smaller one for the pocket kit is problematic. Nothing I can think of that size other than a soup can. Only other option I can think of is maybe a small metal cup but I don't really know if they make one or not. Pretty sure that they do but I don't have a source. Sorry. Let us know what you come up with.

Standard disclaimer, no affiliations.

#194814 - 02/01/10 04:09 PM Re: Best Can or Metal Container to convert into a Pot? [Re: SwampDonkey]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
I've had the same problem with the plastic liner issue as well and have discovered that the cans pinapple come in are not lined. The cans also come in several different sizes. If you need something even larger check with some restaurants for the number 10 sized cans. Chinese resturants are a good place.

#194854 - 02/01/10 09:47 PM Re: Best Can or Metal Container to convert into a Pot? [Re: Susan]
darin Offline
Stranger

I use a 15 0z bean can then got a plastic lid from a Hersey chocolate syrup can, the type that you puncture with a can opener to reseal the top of the can.I filled it with amazing amount of stuff then wrapped duct tape around it to seal it with extra added, then wrapped some para cord around that. works well for me and won't crush.

#194874 - 02/01/10 11:38 PM Re: Best Can or Metal Container to convert into a Pot? [Re: darin]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Well I got busy at work today and did not get a chance to go "can" shopping at the supermarket.

I did have to move away from the fanny pack idea and go to a small, narrow backpack of about 14L capacity as there is just too much stuff to put it it.

My personal pocket shelter kit has 2 cans in it. An AMK Bivy and a Heatsheet are crammed into a Hershey's Chocolate Syrup can (284mL), with some thin nylon cord, a razor blade, and some paper matches, then the plastic top is put on. This can is then wrapped in thin nylon cord, brass snare wire and paracord, secured with electrical tape. This increases the can diameter so now it is a tight fit into a stainless steel can that I found at the dollar store, this can has a lid which is sealed on with electrical tape. So you end up with your shelter supplies contained within 2 small but functional billy cans.

Going to go open some pineapple now to check out the interior of the can!

Later, Mike

#194877 - 02/01/10 11:46 PM Re: Best Can or Metal Container to convert into a Pot? [Re: Matt26]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hey Matt26,

I just opened a can of Dole pineapple and do not see a plastic type liner but something that looks like galvanized metal? This layer is very thin and easy to scrape off, it feels soft/powdery between my fingers, could it be zinc?

An packaging experts out there?

Mike

#194892 - 02/02/10 01:24 AM Re: Best Can or Metal Container to convert into a Pot? [Re: SwampDonkey]
Hike4Fun Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey

Susan - you are correct in that this kit is probably just for emergency use and therefore not real a problem what container you use to heat water in. I have used a tin can billy many times and only recently discovered there was a plastic liner in them. I never cared until the Internet told me I should. Our local WalMart has some blue granite ware, can you expand on the "warm colours" concern?

Mike

Warm colors red, orange, yellow in glass, pottery, or granite
wear may indicate heavy metals, especially in the old days.
USA manufactures became aware of this danger, and later, so
did foreign manufactures that export to the USA (& Canada).
So recent imports should be safe, no matter what color; but
I would still trust blue or white interior colors more.

The Walmart billies (old blue camping) were my favorite pot
in the kitchen. I could cook 3/4 lb beans in one and
then store it in the refrigerator, perfect. Their new camping
billy is only slightly fatter, much smaller than their stock
pot from the cooking-pans department.

Two warnings on granite wear 1) do not get them supper hot
or cool them super quick (cracking granite-glass) 2) do
not set granite wear container on a inclined surface that
is slick, because the container will slide off.
You can roughen the bottom by sanding or building up a hard
black finish or both.

You said:
I have used a tin can billy many times and only recently discovered there was a plastic liner in them.

That is the problem. Some chemicals do not make you sick
right away, or in a way that you would connect to that
chemical. Heavy metals degrade kidney function but you
may not know it for decades. There are lots of sick
people waiting for a kidney transplant (i.e donor match).

Signing off
Hike4Fun (The other Susan)

Edited by Hike4Fun (02/02/10 07:32 AM)

#194897 - 02/02/10 01:51 AM Re: Best Can or Metal Container to convert into a Pot? [Re: SwampDonkey]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
To be honest I never thought about it. I will tell you that if you leave plain water in the can it will start to rust after a few days. I don't think galvanized steel rusts so maybe it's just some kind of acid etching from the pinapple juice?

#194918 - 02/02/10 03:26 AM Re: Best Can or Metal Container to convert into a Pot? [Re: Matt26]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
A Fritos bean dip can is what I have used for years as a pot to boil water. It has a plastic lid that goes with it. Very light and tough. Aluminum and no lining.

#194939 - 02/02/10 07:12 AM Re: Best Can or Metal Container to convert into a Pot? [Re: jshannon]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
If you're worried about can linings, look for cans of food from Eden Organics, as they are said to be the only place that has Bisphenol-A-free cans (that's the stuff in the lining material).

Of course, you could simplify things and just get some large cups.

Sue

#194962 - 02/02/10 01:48 PM Re: Best Can or Metal Container to convert into a Pot? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Mostly Harmless came up with the idea of a SS waterbottle. Last night I used a Dremel tool to cut the top off a 500ml bottle and turned it into a really nice little hanging pot. I am not going to make 10 of these but for my own use this is super.

Susan, it looks like the small container is going to be a commercial SS camping cup, I found a cheaper source for them yesterday.

Mike

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.