Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#194734 - 01/31/10 09:03 PM Best Can or Metal Container to convert into a Pot?
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi all,

I need the experience of the ETS Forum members to direct me to the best metal container to convert into a hanging pot for use over a fire. These would be part of 10 Ice Rescue kits I am assembling.

I actually need 2 sizes of pot.

One would be for a pocket kit, it would hold the kit Shelter components (AMK Bivy, Heatsheet, 50' nylon cordage, waterproof matches, firestarter). This container would be app. 2.5" in dia. and 4 to 6 inches tall, think 10oz soup can size.

The second container would be in a fanny pack usually attached to a snowmobile. This container would be larger, app. 6" in dia. and 6 to 8 inches tall, think juice can size.

The problem with soup and juice cans is that they have an inner plastic liner painted on the inside walls. This plastic could be burnt/scraped off but it is difficult and I need to make 10 of these kits.

I have used juice and coffee cans as 'billy cans" for years with no problems but since I am supplying these kits to other people I hate to expose them to the burnt plastic residue.

So does anyone know of a cheap metal container that would make a good hanging pot?

I reviewed this recent ETS Forum Thread about ....a pot and got some excellent ideas.

The difficulty is that many of the products mentioned are not available here in northern Ontario and I am looking for something cheap, like a recycled food container.

I had luck in the past buying stainless steel containers at the Dollar Store but my supply has dried-up for some reason?

Does anyone have experience with metal bottles or fuel cans converted into pots?

Thanks,

Mike

#194735 - 01/31/10 09:13 PM Re: Best Can or Metal Container to convert into a Pot? [Re: SwampDonkey]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
This is what I have for my GOOD/GetHome bag http://moosineer.com/MooseMain.asp?Option=Detail&ID=Trangia+Mess+Tins IT has a handle, but hanging would be tricky

#194739 - 01/31/10 10:07 PM Re: Best Can or Metal Container to convert into a Pot? [Re: SwampDonkey]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The ONLY metal container that I can think of that didn't have pretrochems or paint in it that fits the smaller of the two is cookie tin, the one Royal Dansk uses for their rolled up, chocolate filled fancy ones. Not sure if they'll take the heat though, and you'd have to add a bail.

For the larger one, I've got some kitchen storage cannisters that are that size. 1.7L, stainless steel, fairly inexpesive. Downsides are they thick walled, so heavy and they take a while to get hot, and the lids are glass.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#194741 - 01/31/10 10:35 PM Re: Best Can or Metal Container to convert into a Pot? [Re: ironraven]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
For the smaller can, take a look at the 15 oz VanCamps pork & beans can. It is just 1/4" taller and 1/4" wider than a Campbell's soup can, and doesn't appear to have any liner, just bare metal. It might also be just a tad more stable around a fire.

You might also check the dollar stores for their cheapest canned food and see if any of them are liner-free. Cheap sources might skip the liners.

For the larger can, why not a new gallon paint can? It comes with a lid and bail, and they're not excessively expensive.

Sue

#194746 - 01/31/10 11:49 PM Re: Best Can or Metal Container to convert into a Pot? [Re: Susan]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the thoughts folks and please keep them coming.

Ironraven- The tall cookie tin is a great idea and I have already tested one, seen being used on my old Svea 123R stove here . I just retrieved this can from my garage and unfortunately it has the plastic liner, but it was made in Indonesia not Denmark so I will go cookie shopping tomorrow.

I did some reading on the internet tonight about using cans as cooking pots, the thoughts are mixed concerning the threat of BPA from the plastic can linings.

The stainless steel kitchen canister idea is a good one and I have a couple of these in use in my personal kit now. The trouble is that I live in a small northern town, no cheap containers to be found. I need to travel down south to a flea market type place where there is more of this stuff.

Sue - I will have to check out the bean can idea tomorrow as strangely enough I have no cans in the house?

I remember in one of Mors Kochanski's Booklets that he recommends using an Olive oil can or a Naptha Fuel can as a pot. I will test the Olive Oil idea tomorrow as I have seen cans of the correct size in our local grocery store. Oil and fuel may not require the plastic inner can lining because the product itself may keep the can from rusting?

Mike

#194748 - 01/31/10 11:53 PM Re: Best Can or Metal Container to convert into a Pot? [Re: Susan]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hey Sue I forgot your paint can idea.

I checked out a new empty paint can yeasterday at a local hardware store and there seemed to be a dark coating on the inside; I do not know if it is plastic or a paint-type sealent?

The gallon size were a little large but the quart size would have worked.

Mike

#194751 - 02/01/10 12:06 AM Re: Best Can or Metal Container to convert into a Pot? [Re: SwampDonkey]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Prince Albert tobacco can? I don't know if these are even available anymore. Some mixtures come in round tins that might work.

I just retrieved a can of "John McCann's Irish Oatmeal", about quart size, that might work. It does not appear to have a plastic lining. Again, I am not sure this brand is currently marketed.

#194753 - 02/01/10 12:23 AM Re: Best Can or Metal Container to convert into a [Re: hikermor]
nurit Offline

Loc: NYC
John McCann's Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal is still marketed in many stores, at least here in New York.

#194756 - 02/01/10 12:48 AM Re: Best Can or Metal Container to convert into a Pot? [Re: SwampDonkey]
Hike4Fun Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey

So does anyone know of a cheap metal container that would make a good hanging pot?

I had luck in the past buying stainless steel containers at the Dollar Store but my supply has dried-up for some reason?

I have been wrestling with these container issues for myself.

There is always a risk in using equipment designed for one
purpose, but put to another. I would not trust cans for more
than an occasional use at low boiling temperatures.

Maybe you should broaden your survival training and show
how to boil water in a shallow container, in addition to
a hanging billy. Thrift stores and cheap retail outlets are
full of containers, made for high temperature cooking.

Though I prefer a deep billy, a shallow container can be
packed so it is safer, in the event of a fall. This can be
relevant in hilly country, or if on horseback.

#194762 - 02/01/10 01:36 AM Re: Best Can or Metal Container to convert into a Pot? [Re: Hike4Fun]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
What about those large beer can/keg things with the top cut off and filed? I think they're about the size of two beers in one container. Heineken?

I have been keeping an eye out for one, but haven't seen one. I have a neighbor that will empty it for me.

Sue

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.