Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#194525 - 01/29/10 11:07 AM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
ChicagoCraig Offline

Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
I lived in Northern Minnesota for 10 years, and during that time, I went out on my snowmobile often, in all weather, alone or in small groups of 2 to 4. My weekend trips included Upper Michigan, Northern Wisconsin, and of course Northern Minnesota forests.

Most of my trips during the year are in these same area except Minnesota.

Each trip averaged over 100 miles. As with rental sleds, my snowmobile equipment compartment was about the size of a shoebox, and unless you have the optional luggage rack, or the optional trailer hitch, most of what you carry has to go in there, or in your pockets.

Any extra gear I carry goes into a backpack. Its never really an issue for me as the weight of the pack rests on the seat while seated and the straps are basically holding the pack upright as opposed to normally having a load on them.

When renting, it is essential to check and see that the OEM toolkit is in the compartment, and that all of the tools are in there. Snowmobile trailer tip over on forest trails at normal touring speeds.

This is one of the first things I do. I also insist on actually seeing the toolkit, extra belt and spark plug for each machine. Some outfitters don't fully replace the items once used and I have had situations where they will chime out "there enough between the two machines." That doesn't fly with me - each machine in a group need to be self sufficient for servicing.

This might constitute heresy, but rather than list the equipment in my PSK, I'll tell you what I actually used in 10 years and 5000 miles of backwoods travel.

No replacement for experience- thank you.

Spare headlight bulb (hit a big bump, and they can burn out)

I think this is more of an issue on single light sleds. The newer sleds will have two bulbs for low and two for high. So I don't think this is critical but definitely worth taking a bulb along - I would probably say a low beam as a high beam can be troublesome in snowy conditions.

OEM sparkplug wrench
spare sparkplugs (sparkplugs foul often)
spare drive belt

These are a part of the sled kit. I always check for kit completeness.

magnetic compass and topo and trail maps
Leatherman Supertool (to remove barbed wire that had wrapped itself around my drive axle)and a million other things
Bic lighter (kept in my inner pocket)
Mini Maglite (also kept warm on my inner belt)
Helmet

All of these items are currently on my list. Aside from being illegal in WI and MI riding without a helmet I believe isn't a good choice.

Thin nylon balaclava (I got frostbit on my lower chin/neck crossing a frozen lake at -25. I never felt a thing. Balaclava complely eliminates this, and the thin nylon doesn't make your helmet too tight).

I cannot imagine riding without a one. I like the versions which also have a bib which lays over your pecks and shoulder blades to create a "seal" between the jacket neck and helmet.

Thin cotton gloves (for detail work that you can't wear your snomobile gloves for)

An absolute must. Gassing up without some sort of thin liner glove can be hazardous to you hand. Some of the gas pump handles in older town are metal. Ever grab a one of these metal handles at -15 or colder without skin protection? I did - once and I'll never do it again.

A retractable saw (I used to carry a small hatchet, but they are unsafe on bitter cold days when your hands are cold and ice forms on the handle during use).
Clif bars or equivalent high energy food
instant coffee and tea bags
A metal canteen cup to melt snow for beverages.
Bandana
Whistle
Extra snowmobile key in an inner pocket

I picked up a few Cliff bars for a recent trip in WI. I think out of all the health/breakfest bars I have had these are the best so far.

#194526 - 01/29/10 11:21 AM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: hikermor]
ChicagoCraig Offline

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I am not one for duplicating items, but I always have about three means of striking a light. Fire is simply too fundamental and useful out in the woods.

My winter kit: Strike anywhere matches, flint steel, wind proof lighter. I guess one could get a spark form the sleds plug wire (remove it from the plug and slowly backing it away while keeping a fuel dampened rag touching the plug tip) if in a jam. I'd had to be in a real pickle to pull that off though.

#194533 - 01/29/10 01:12 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: ChicagoCraig]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Most of my trips during the year are in these same area except Minnesota.

All I can say here is that you're missing some excellent riding. You won't do better than the North Shore Trail along Lake Superior. You can stay on it, or branch out into true wilderness areas. Plenty of little snowmobile-friendly towns along the shore, but less so in the interior.

#194573 - 01/29/10 08:00 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Welcome Byrd_Huntr. A nice list from a voice of experience. The other stuff we have suggested is for the "what-if" factor, otherwise known as Murphy's Law. Many, many people get by with carrying less gear than they should. When Murphy catches up and something goes horribly wrong, well, those are the stories you see in the nightly news. "Local hunter dies of exposure" or "Hikers lost in desert succumb to the elements" are the typical headlines. They could be easily averted by carrying just some very basic gear. FWIW and YMMV.

#194581 - 01/29/10 10:41 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
ChicagoCraig Offline

All I can say here is that you're missing some excellent riding. You won't do better than the North Shore Trail along Lake Superior.

Sounds like I will have to check this out... Thanks for the tip!

You can stay on it, or branch out into true wilderness areas. Plenty of little snowmobile-friendly towns along the shore, but less so in the interior.

Would you take other gear with you if branching out into wilderness areas? For me skirting off a trail into a soft ditch can turn into quite some work without at least a tow strap.

#194613 - 01/30/10 11:43 AM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: ChicagoCraig]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I didn't mean to suggest going off trail. I meant that there are mapped wilderness trails that branch off of the Superior trail.

#194624 - 01/30/10 02:38 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
ChicagoCraig Offline

I didn't mean to suggest going off trail. I meant that there are mapped wilderness trails that branch off of the Superior trail.

Would it be correct assume the wilderness trails are marked but not groomed?

#194625 - 01/30/10 02:41 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: ChicagoCraig]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
craig--everyplace in Minnesota you could possibly take a snowmobile you will find the track of someone who has been there already.

#194627 - 01/30/10 02:48 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: ChicagoCraig]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: ChicagoCraig

Would it be correct assume the wilderness trails are marked but not groomed?

Wilderness Areas are closed to motorized and mechanized
vehicals.

#194644 - 01/30/10 06:31 PM Re: What am I missing in my cold weather PSK ? [Re: clearwater]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Carhartt Men's Fleece 2-In-1 Headwear
http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/store...0&langId=-1

Is an awesome piece of cold weather gear I recently got.

Retractable saw someone suggested too. Gerber makes a decent money for <15$.

I think too much gear aimed to 'stay in place' is a bad thing myself. Sure, matches, lighter, etc good but some kits I see here and other places are enough "stay in place gear" to live out in the middle of winter. To me, the goal is to get rescued or make your own way back to civilization. Hand warmers or foot warmers, a good hat, dry gloves, wool socks are all very important in cold weather. Also a map of the area you are going to a compass, PLB, and a GPS if you want. These are IMHO more important than say fishing line, or cotton swabs to light a fire.

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 170 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.