Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#194528 - 01/29/10 12:28 PM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
sodak Offline
Addict

For surviving, I think that a Vic Huntsman, Huntsman Lite, Deluxe Tinker, or even a Farmer - pic one - makes the best survival knife by far. As far as I've tested, they do everything that a Mora can do, and better, as well as doing a whole lot more.

Now if you are talking about heavier duty usage, I would go the Fallkniven/Becker/Busse route. But I would ALWAYS have a Vic on me...

#194530 - 01/29/10 12:57 PM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: sodak]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Mdinana, what a lot of folks do, I think I have even seen it here on the forums, is remove the Mora handle & fasion their own. IIRC, its a 3/4 tang, which is plent strong for anything we would need it for.

On the subject of knives, I too find myself constantly "upgrading" to something better-only to go back to my original. Currently, I have 2 multitools, 1 SAK, 4 folders, and 7ish fixed blades. With the exception of the fixed blades, I have the knives stashed in kits in my jeep, my PFD, and the SAK in my workbag. The Leatherman & my current folder, my Zero Tolerance, are on my person as all times. I used to carry my Leatherman Micro on my keychain, but I didnt like the weight of it, so it went into a kit as well.

Think of knives sort of like fishhooks. There are all kinds, and different sizes, purported to do specific tasks. But, a small hook can catch small fish AND large fish-a large hook only large fish. A smaller knife is a MUCH better multitasker than a larger fixed blade.

#194531 - 01/29/10 01:02 PM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: sodak]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I have a Victorinox in my car as a convenience tool. I'm not sure which model, but it is a larger one. I wear glasses, so I bought the little optional screwdriver for $2 that goes into the corkscrew and it has been a lifesaver when the screws work loose in my glasses. I also bought 10 used Victorinox Classics on ebay for $10. I carry one in my pocket, one is in my PSK, and the rest are stashed all over the place. Those are amazingly handy little knives, and they take and hold a razor edge from my ceramic sharpener.

#194540 - 01/29/10 02:11 PM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: oldsoldier]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: oldsoldier
Mdinana, what a lot of folks do, I think I have even seen it here on the forums, is remove the Mora handle & fasion their own. IIRC, its a 3/4 tang, which is plent strong for anything we would need it for.

I actually bought a 5" mora blade and made a handle last year, kind of a "keep busy" project as school ended and I had a month off before graduation.

I've never carried it frown I also discovered that power tools would have made everything MUCH easier.

#194595 - 01/30/10 05:01 AM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: MDinana]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
At the risk of sounding like Spongebob Sassypants, the best field/survival knife ... is the one you have with you when the SHTF. To each his own. I've went on record on another thread here:

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=192818&page=8

that I prefer a longer blade, and seem to be leaning more towards carbon steels in a longer fixed blade. but I would certainly not object to a good quality high carbon stainless blade. I am also anxious to give the S30V in Ritters RSK 1 a try. laugh

Opinions on knives are like the other drivers on the road. Everyone going faster than you are is a maniac and everyone going slower than you are is an idiot. But hopefully somewhere along the way you learn to appreciate that it is all a matter of perspective and experience. So just sit back and enjoy the ride. smile

#194598 - 01/30/10 05:17 AM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: LED]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I often use the Clipper in the field and am pleased with it, but yesterday I bought 10 Mora AllRound Knives from Paul at Workwear Canada. Nice guy to do business with. The knives are going to be part of 10 Ice Rescue/Survival Kits I am assembling for my co-workers and I to use while on remote snowmobile patrol.

I also have many, many knives to select from but find that I usually carry a lighter knife with a 5" blade or less. Usually with a multi-tool or SAK and often with an axe, saw or brush-hook when in the bush. The larger tools do the bulk of the heavy wood cutting, that is what they are made for and I accept the weight/bulk as a trade-off for efficiency and safety.

Mike

Edited by SwampDonkey (01/31/10 08:02 PM)

#194631 - 01/30/10 03:55 PM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: SwampDonkey]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
If you can afford it ($165), don't overlook Doug's RSK Mk3 fixed blade knife. it is a really REALLY nice knife.

#194638 - 01/30/10 05:47 PM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: SwampDonkey]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
I often use the Clipper in the field and am pleased with it, but yesterday I bought 10 Mora Craftsman Allround's from Paul at Workwear Canada.

Mike

I'll be interested to hear your review. I love the shape of my Clipper but always felt it could be a little beefier in terms of reserve strength. The sheath on the Craftline Allaround seems different too; I wonder if they've improved it in terms of holding the knife more securely?

P.S., your link has an extra "http://" in it.

#194666 - 01/30/10 10:30 PM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: dougwalkabout]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
The is NO "perfect" knife. There are knifes that are very good, to perfect for a particular job, but all knifes are tradeoffs. The knife that I want to peel an apple/gut a deer is NOT what I'm going to want to to pry open a crate, or chop down a sapling
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#194668 - 01/30/10 11:10 PM Re: Best field/survival knife? [Re: KG2V]
Adventureboy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Peoria, AZ ,USA
Leatherman (new) Wave and Gerber LMF II. (PERIOD) NO discussion.
All you need. pm me for more info.
Adventureboy

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.