Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#194340 - 01/26/10 11:12 PM Best exercise stuff inside limited space?
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
The sailboat cabin is small and there is no free floor / deck space or other area for calesthentics [sp?]. I can sit and I can lie on the bunk. I cannot quite stand straight. Adding thngs like weights is not a good icea as their storage would be challenging, especially when underway and the boat is heeling back and forth and plunging up and down.

So, what would the best exercise stuff be? Resistance bands? Spring-type exercisers?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

#194346 - 01/27/10 12:48 AM Re: Best exercise stuff inside limited space? [Re: dweste]
NIM Offline

Hi Dweste,

I'd recommend isometrics (worked well for me in prison)....JOKE!
You could always fill containers with water and use them as weights. A collapsible container could fold away and the water be returned overboard. Unless you are talking about a spaceship...vacuum is pretty light.

-NIM

#194348 - 01/27/10 01:26 AM Re: Best exercise stuff inside limited space? [Re: dweste]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
If I were limited by the amount of space available for both storage and working out, I'd think about using resistance bands. Essentially it's a set of elastic tubes much like surgical tubing color coded for the amount of resistance offered by each. Most sets have interchangeable handles and velcro straps for attachment points. The sets definitely don't take up much space and as long as you can find the room to extend your limbs to the fullest in multiple directions they should work fine.

Edited by Nicodemus (01/27/10 04:14 AM)

#194358 - 01/27/10 03:19 AM Re: Best exercise stuff inside limited space? [Re: Nicodemus]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Calisthenics would work. As would isometrics.

You might try a set of those rugger loops. They can apply considerable amounts of resistance. Often more than 100 pounds. Hook one of the stronger bands around a winch and pull or punch against it.

I wouldn't give up on weight training. A five gallon bucket of seawater is what, better than 45 pounds. You have an anchor that is pretty hefty. Tie weight to one end of a halyard and pull on the other. You can even tie a Swiss seat onto one end and haul yourself or your girlfriend up the mast.

More than one sailor has built long oars and work the body rowing with one or two. Good upper body workout.

Swimming is good exercise. Scrub the hull to take off the slime a couple times a week and your exercising.

Depending on the room available you might fit in a folding stationary bicycle. Make good use of it by rigging a small dynamo and charge a battery.

I have seen a guy who would anchor out and then pull the boat several hundred feet up the anchor line working like he was climbing the rope. When He got close to the anchor he would let the boat drift back and then do it again. Substitute stirrups on prussic knots and you could work the legs.

I also wouldn't give up on free weights if that is what you like. A sailboat is full of heavy objects, anchors and batteries to start with, that need to be kept low and fastened in place to be safe in heavy weather. Build yourself a sturdy rack to hold the weights and make provisions for the weights to be lashed down tightly. A simple engineering problem.

#194367 - 01/27/10 05:00 AM Re: Best exercise stuff inside limited space? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Can you find a way to do sit ups, push-ups and pullups ?
And when weather is good swimming.. seems like they could keep you in shape ?

#194371 - 01/27/10 07:08 AM Re: Best exercise stuff inside limited space? [Re: Todd W]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
With this and the past thread of everyday exercise in mind. I remember I used to use grip strengtheners in the car.
You are doubling and tripling the number you can do within weeks
Got funny looks when screaming with the effort from other drivers, but that's their problem. And by jove once I had someone in a hold in Jui Jitsu they were going nowhere!
The Sock

#194373 - 01/27/10 09:03 AM Re: Best exercise stuff inside limited space? [Re: TheSock]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Seems to me that the typical sailing vessel is one vast, rather complicated workout machine, what with winches to grind, sails to hoist, decks to holy stone, and anchors to raise. Even on power boats, I can simply staying upright for a long day would give me a pretty noticeable workout. Throw in some scuba diving and you will snooze blissfully at night, sleeping as only those well exercised can....

#194376 - 01/27/10 10:36 AM Re: Best exercise stuff inside limited space? [Re: hikermor]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Get out of your cell and go to the gym.

#194378 - 01/27/10 02:09 PM Re: Best exercise stuff inside limited space? [Re: scafool]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
I would want a pair of 5-10 pound dumbells, but a couple of 1 gallon jugs could work too. Online there are workouts using milk jugs.

#194392 - 01/27/10 05:41 PM Re: Best exercise stuff inside limited space? [Re: jshannon]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Resistance bands of surgical tubing or bungee material would suffice. You can exploit their mobility in any position to work any muscle group, and they are infintely scalar. I can't imagine a better suited device in a confined space.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.