Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#194191 - 01/23/10 05:53 AM Man treats injuries, coached by smartphone (fixed)
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Here is what killer apps are all about: a guy got trapped under the rubble with an iPhone and used the latter's wise supervision to survivve for 65 hours, right until SaR got to him.
I'm actually worried about the wave of people googling "first aid app" and hitting a wall of fraudulent claims...
Apologize if this has been posted before.

Edit: fixed link

Edited by Rodion (01/23/10 12:05 PM)

www.kravmagafederation.com

#194211 - 01/23/10 09:17 PM Re: Man treats injuries, coached by smartphone (fixed) [Re: ]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
That is a cool sory!

#194226 - 01/24/10 05:19 PM Re: Man treats injuries, coached by smartphone (fi [Re: Rodion]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
There are quite a few different articles about this US documentary filmaker and various articles say different things about the details. Here's another short one about how he used that first aid app on his iPhone to treat a compound leg fracture and a gash in his head. And it says that he also used the light from his digital SLR camera to observe his surroundings in the darkness.

Some articles say that he used the light from his iPhone to see. Others, like the article I linked to, simply say that he used the light from his digital SLR. But probably the most accurate description is that he took flash photographs of his surroundings and then looked at the photos to study his surroundings. The light from a flash would be much brighter and illuminate much further than simply holding up his iPhone or digital camera and trying to directly light up his surroundings with the light from the screens.

Still, the most poignant part of the short article I linked to has nothing to do with technology. It describes how he scribbled good-bye notes to his kids in his notebook, in case he didn't make it out. One somewhat morbid reason to always carry pen and paper, although in certain situations, pen and paper could be the most important thing in the world to a person.

#194266 - 01/25/10 06:25 PM Re: Man treats injuries, coached by smartphone (fi [Re: Arney]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Actually, come to think of it, this story about a guy getting first aid advice from an iPhone app reminded me of a brand of first aid kit that came out a number of years back. Smaller sub-kits for different injuries (burns, cuts, fractures, etc.) were color coded. But the interesting part was that it comes with this handheld electronic device that verbally asks the person questions to figure out the problem, and then suggests how to deal with the problem.

Some may dismiss the need for such a device, saying just take a good first aid course, but probably most of us have experienced our minds going blank in a stressful situation, so I can see the benefit of anything that helps coach a person through such a situation. Anyway, just a random thought.

#194326 - 01/26/10 07:14 PM Re: Man treats injuries, coached by smartphone (fixed) [Re: Rodion]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
That seems like a dangerous trend. The lesson here appears to be "Don't bother learning important or useful survival information ... just bring your i-phone with the appropriate apps and you'll be alright." Nothing wrong with improvising and using what's available to survive and nothing inherently wrong with technology but you must also learn to recognize its limitations. You have to learn the basics first and then when using the technology you will more easily recognize its limitations (and not take it for granted the technology will always be right). Case in point: I made it through college level Calculus I and Calculus II without a graphing calculator, just a basic Texas Instruments scientific calculator. After learning the basics and eventually getting a graphing calculator I was then able to recognize the limitations of the technology. No relevance, just an example. FWIW.

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 351 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.