The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#196244 - 02/21/10 12:01 AM Re: Herbal Medicines and Home Remedies [Re: Mark_F]
Lqdtrance Offline
Stranger

Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY
Where I live we have a plant that is called an "Indian Pipe", not sure of the Latin name but it is used as an astringent. I am a mushroom hunter and I find Tons of medicinal mushrooms in my area. Plus I cultivate mushrooms. I have been making tinctures and also encapsulating Reishi lately. Good stuff.
I can also recommend the petersons guides as well. I have 1 for medicinal plants and 1 for edible plants. I would also recommend picking up a few mushroom ID books for your area. Good stuff to know!!

#196915 - 03/01/10 05:44 PM Re: Herbal Medicines and Home Remedies [Re: Lqdtrance]
Hypatia Offline
Stranger

Loc: western WA
These are dependent on what you already have in the pantry, but:

A Tbsp of carob powder (usually taken in a little applesauce, but you could mix it with whatever you have on hand) is good remedy for diarrhea. I keep some on hand just for this purpose.

For the women, a clove of garlic can be used to combat yeast infections. It's used at night (inserted) and removed in the morning.

A few grains (6-7) of cayenne pepper snorted can offer migraine relief. Not necessarily pleasant, but neither is a migraine that lasts for days!

#196943 - 03/01/10 10:24 PM Re: Herbal Medicines and Home Remedies [Re: Hypatia]
LED Offline
Veteran

Welcome to ETS Hypatia.

#196945 - 03/01/10 10:54 PM Re: Herbal Medicines and Home Remedies [Re: Hypatia]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: Hypatia
These are dependent on what you already have in the pantry, but:

A Tbsp of carob powder (usually taken in a little applesauce, but you could mix it with whatever you have on hand) is good remedy for diarrhea. I keep some on hand just for this purpose.

I have heard camel dung is also effective. I think it was on Dirty Jobs.

Quote:
For the women, a clove of garlic can be used to combat yeast infections. It's used at night (inserted) and removed in the morning.

I am just dying to say something clever about this, but I think I will just pass on the chance to do so.

Quote:
A few grains (6-7) of cayenne pepper snorted can offer migraine relief. Not necessarily pleasant, but neither is a migraine that lasts for days!

I am not a huge fan of folk remedies but since the real remedies for migraines don't work all that well, as long as the folk remedies won't harm you, I don't see any reason not to give them a try. The few people I know that suffered from migraines were motivated to try just about anything. AFAIK, none of them found any of the commonly touted folk remedies effective, and they tried just about all of them. YMMV.

Bob

#196965 - 03/02/10 03:38 AM Re: Herbal Medicines and Home Remedies [Re: ILBob]
Hypatia Offline
Stranger

Loc: western WA
I have chronic migraines, and have had mixed results with the cayenne. By the time I'm reaching for it, however, any reduction in the pain is worth it even if it doesn't completely knock it out.

#196973 - 03/02/10 04:12 AM Re: Herbal Medicines and Home Remedies [Re: Hypatia]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Valerian Root will likely Pacify a Migraine Headache,Just don't try to sniff it, the smell will turn your stomach.This stuff works SO well,that Many Moons ago,A synthetic derivitive was developed,AKA-Valium!Drink Lotsa' water with it& Don't smell your burps either,lol!

#196981 - 03/02/10 05:22 AM Re: Herbal Medicines and Home Remedies [Re: Hypatia]
nurit Offline

Loc: NYC
Welcome to the forum, Hypatia.

#197027 - 03/02/10 11:52 PM Re: Herbal Medicines and Home Remedies [Re: ILBob]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA

Quote:

ILBob: I am just dying to say something clever about this, but I think I will just pass on the chance to do so.

ILBob, you are a better person than I am.....

... and she won't get raped by a vampire, either! laugh

Sue

#197068 - 03/03/10 11:26 AM Re: Herbal Medicines and Home Remedies [Re: LED]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
In my area, spotted jewel weed (touch-me-not) commonly grows on stream banks and other wet areas. It has a translucent hollow stem that is juicy when crushed. I learned in scouts to use the juice to relieve the itching from stinging nettles, and I learned later that it also works on poison ivy rash. Since nettles and jewel weed are often found growing side by side, I have used this method often. It provides instant relief. Not only that, but when it blooms, the most amazing variety of hummingbirds, colorful butterflies and sphinx moths are attracted to the snapdragon-like flowers.

#197069 - 03/03/10 11:32 AM Re: Herbal Medicines and Home Remedies [Re: RobertRogers]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: RobertRogers
There are many dozens of useful plants. Another good one is jewelweed for poison ivy and other skin irritations.

Sorry I stole your remedy, I didn't read through all of the messages before I posted.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.