The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#194187 - 01/23/10 01:15 AM Re: Building a teardrop trailer [Re: wildman800]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Thre's a 2008 Little Guy 6-wide "toy hauler" teardrop on e-bay. New. Bidding ends soon.

If it goes for anywhere near it's current bid, it'd be a steal.

And worth the drive to West Virginia to get it.

[ so is there some policy against e-bay links?? ]

#194258 - 01/25/10 04:13 PM Re: Building a teardrop trailer [Re: oldsoldier]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'd find a place to store it first, then check for used trailer locally

#194275 - 01/25/10 09:36 PM Re: Building a teardrop trailer [Re: TeacherRO]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Thanks for the pics Dagny! I am going to look into this further. I had a discussion with my father, and he seems to think it'd be cheaper to simply buy one. But, we will see. It will be either a summer project, or a purchase next tax season smile.
As for storage, my father has plenty of space for that, and I already received his blessing. Its about 40 miles from me, which isnt too bad.
Acadia is certainly a trip I would like to take!I have wanted to go there for years-dont really need a camper for it, I suppose smile

#194280 - 01/25/10 10:40 PM Re: Building a teardrop trailer [Re: oldsoldier]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Here's an interesting "teardrop" for sale in TN by a member of T&TTT. Manufactured. $3500. But it's 4'-wide. I wouldn't want less than a 5-wide.

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34748

07' Wazat camper. Small and light enough to be towed by most any car. Its all aluminum and weighs in at 640lbs. The camper body lifts off of the trailer bed and becomes a light weight 4'x8' flatbed tilt utility trailer for your lawn mower, atv, or motorcycle.

The camper size is 4'x10' and is perfect for 2 adults to stay high and dry while camping and/or road tripping to avoid high hotel costs. No setup is required, just pull out your chairs and your done.

The camper is powered, either by an extension cord plugged into 110V at campgrounds, or the 12V deep cycle trolling motor battery installed in the back. There are two ceiling lights, two "porch" lights, and a stereo making the large battery last weeks under normal camping conditions.

The stereo is a 60 watt CD Player stereo that sports face off security features and an aux plugin for playing your ipod, and a usb charging plug for phone or mp3 players.

There are 2 doors so you don't have to disturb your partner getting in and out, both with screens so you can let the air flow through on warm nights. There is an electric fan in the roll up roof vent to keep the air moving. The back hatch opens to a flat deck for kitchen counter, or plain ole storage. The bed is 4' wide x 6'9"long so even the tallest of you can fit inside comfortably. (I'm 6' and could stretch out no prob)

The trailer is outfitted with all LED lighting so your sure to be seen while traveling after dark.

I do have a clear title and it has been registered. It does not require registration while being towed in TN but I registered it for towing it out of state. (trailer license is like $13 bucks in TN who wants to be hassled over $13?)

It takes a 1 & 7/8" ball.

Attachments
Wazat.jpg

wazat13.jpg

#194288 - 01/26/10 01:34 AM Re: Building a teardrop trailer [Re: Dagny]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Why are the wheels always on the outside? It seems that you could build a wider trailer if you put the wheel wells under the platform bed inside, like in a van.

Is there some particular reason they're made the way they are, for stability or something?

And Dagny, I was seriously disappointed that I had to go down to the ELEVENTH photo to see the thunderpuff lounging on the tailgate. Woman, you really need to get your priorities rearranged! ;-)

Sue

#194291 - 01/26/10 02:23 AM Re: Building a teardrop trailer [Re: Susan]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Ease of building, you don't have to fit things around the wheel wells inside if the wheels are outside.

#194295 - 01/26/10 03:21 AM Re: Building a teardrop trailer [Re: Susan]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Susan
Why are the wheels always on the outside? It seems that you could build a wider trailer if you put the wheel wells under the platform bed inside, like in a van.

Is there some particular reason they're made the way they are, for stability or something?

And Dagny, I was seriously disappointed that I had to go down to the ELEVENTH photo to see the thunderpuff lounging on the tailgate. Woman, you really need to get your priorities rearranged! ;-)

Sue

LOL!

In the future, I'll be sure to throw the gratuitous Gidg-pics sooner in the lineup.

;-)

As to the wheels being on the outside, if they weren't on my particular model, the wheel-wells would cut into the bed space. Or the trailer floor would have to be higher. Or the trailer wider, or the wheels a lot smaller.

In teardrops, the bed is the floor.

If you look at the pictures of my teardrop, consider that the floor of the teardrop, which the bed is on, is five inches or so below the bottom of the door. I'll look for an interior pic from when I first bought it and nothing was inside yet.

#194297 - 01/26/10 03:31 AM Re: Building a teardrop trailer [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Some pics from right after it was delivered. It's so white. Mine's the white one on the end of the delivery truck. The camo and olive green teardrops were in route to a Gander Mountain store. I had mine painted in Warrenton, Virginia. They did a sensational job. First trailer they'd ever painted. And possibly the last.

Attachments
IMG_6253.JPG

IMG_6257.JPG

IMG_6252.JPG

IMG_6277.JPG

IMG_6218.JPG

#194298 - 01/26/10 03:41 AM Re: Building a teardrop trailer [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

A pic for Susan....

As you can see, my teardrop was stripped down. They'd normally come with a tri-fold mattress, cabinets and galley. I had mine built without those amenities. Someday I'll varnish the walls. Or sell it and buy a Camp Inn.

If anyone has a Gallapagos Green Metallic tow vehicle, I have just the teardrop for them!

Attachments
IMG_6473.JPG

#194303 - 01/26/10 04:44 AM Re: Building a teardrop trailer [Re: Dagny]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
That's better... ^..^

I've looked at several sites, and all of them give length and width, but no inside height. About four feet? Less?

Sue

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.